Lights Are No Longer Useful

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by xmacleod, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hound

hound Captain

So you are gonna reduce the playability of a science fiction game...where NOTHING is realistic as we know it right now just because you want to add one more vision reduction mechanic in a game overun with them already? I really really want to play the game and not sit until the latest vision wiper is over. But hey maybe you do yo and I will do me.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  2. The problem is that it's applied the same across the board regardless.

If it only applied in actual foggy conditions then it actually looks quite nice.
    It looks amazing on some POI's. It really adds to the immersion and atmosphere (IF used in the correct spots).

Everywhere else it's just a nuisance/eyesore/distraction.
    The human eye naturally adjusts to such things and/or filters them out except for extreme cases (foggy weather.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
    Sephrajin, MontanaMike, jlego and 3 others like this.
  3. xmacleod

xmacleod Lieutenant

This. This is exactly what I am getting at.

Sephrajin likes this.
  4. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Then give us low beam lights for our transports. And yes any intense light you will see the mist in the air. But this happens all the time with even low light. Clear nights should not produce a WALL of white fog where there is no fog! This needs to change to make this game enjoyable again.

5. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

We do not have low beams. This is not reality it is a fantasy game and gameplay should count for more than realism. When I want realism I go outside my door!

Luzillus, dichebach and RazzleWin like this.
  6. Luzillus

Luzillus Commander

Hello again, most Players like immersion, good graphics and a nice atmosphere. I like it, to have an option for visuell effects. Bloom as example is not my favorite setting, i put it off in all Games. Other Ppl love Bloom.
    The Lights from SV/HV/CV are an important thing to see where we fly/go. But if i can´t see surroundings with Light´s on, the Lights are unnecessary. Yes i can put off the Lights and than i can see more than, as i have put the lights on. But for what are the Lights than?

7. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

Maybe we should show examples of why we think the foggy lights are bad? Like this:
    smokelight.jpg

And actually that's very unrealistic too, unless you are actually going through dense fog. But if you look around the lighted spot, there is no fog in sight and you can see clearly for miles. So this doesn't make sense.

dichebach, elmo, jlego and 2 others like this.
  8. Supay

Supay Captain

I am not liking the Haze one bit.
    Maybe trigger on foggy planets requiring you to go to night vision or maybe leave to bases?
    It is a pain on CV's and SV's for me so far.

runlykhel and stanley bourdon like this.
  9. elmo

elmo Captain

That is exactly what I am seeing when out in my HV tank going round the planet. I do not notice it as much in my smaller HV with an ordinary cockpit but do on my HV tank which has ordinary windows like yours. maybe the windows could be as much to blame.. Just a thought.

stanley bourdon and jlego like this.
  10. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Yeah that is bad.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  11. Sjado

Sjado Ensign

I love the look of volumetric lights from the outside, but inside a cockpit trying to do anything is not a pleasant activity. Lights are supposed to help you see better, not make things worse.

Needleship likes this.
  12. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

Oh, we have low beams for vehicles! You know the angled spotlights. Maybe only a problem if someone don't want to adapt to it while building.
    Don't want to sound rude, as i respect the standpoint but for me it should stay.

Also it looks to me like an old discussion over in ArmA or every other FPS where you could lay in the grass for sniping and some folks wanted a option to remove the grass altogether so they could see the laying sniper from 400 meters...

Tuning it down in relation to the athmospheric conditions seems fine for me.

Germanicus likes this.
  13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

#meToo#-movement :D for lights should stay

14. Gaz

Gaz Lieutenant

An option on each light would be nice "P Menu" and off on the suit light . But by far the worst thing about lights is the bleed they shine though steel blocks (whats that all about)

15. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

When the outside is clear through your wind screen and then turn on the spots and a wall of white fills the wind screen. Not being able to see anything. This is wrong and needs fixing. Let the outside decide if were in an real white out or a clear night we can use spot light for what they were meant to do.

runlykhel, krazzykid2006 and elmo like this.
  16. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

I don't know what vehicle you use so can't say for sure. But what i can say is that it could be, to a good point, matters where the lights are placed.

Here a simple test:
    The Top spotlights a horizontal, the bottem ones are sloped
    A10 Creative_2019-06-25_14-14-50.jpg

All ON:
    A10 Creative_2019-06-25_14-15-09.jpg

only Top ones ON:
    A10 Creative_2019-06-25_14-17-19.jpg

only Bottom ones ON:
    A10 Creative_2019-06-25_14-16-58.jpg

Think you can see how the fog changes in conjunction where you place the spotlights.
    If that is even too much, simply place them more apart!

17. Luzillus

Luzillus Commander

If there is no Fog, why i have to place Spotlights more appart? Is there a clear Night, no GroundFog or any other weather conditions, Lights dont have to produce any Fog/restriction of, what i can see! ATM i dont put on Lights in the night. I can see more without them. Lights in the Night are only decoration, not more.

runlykhel likes this.
  18. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

Weather Clear / Fog on Arid planet:
    A10 Creative_2019-06-25_15-19-51.jpg A10 Creative_2019-06-25_15-19-25.jpg

Do you think that this effect is too strong?
    For me it looks right, even a bit too low in foggy conditions.

As i wrote earlier i think that most of this hassle comes from placing the spotlights to near to the cockpit and therefore the emitted light overbrightens your vision while driving. Experiment with light placement!
    Even the suitlights got toned down from experimental and feel ok for me.

Gaz likes this.
  19. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Went asteroid mining (in space) for the first time yesterday The lights are terrible in space even more gameplay ruining and for me the lights on the planet are bad for gameplay. Why would light in space look like being in a dense fog? So much for realism. this is bad for gameplay please remove it.

runlykhel and elmo like this.
  20. Once again, if it's perfectly clear weather then it shouldn't matter where the lights are because lights don't magically generate fog.

As it's implemented it's a terrible lighting effect. You shouldn't be forced to move your lights 15 meters away from your cockpit just to be able to see.
    Let me go check my car. Nope, just as I thought, lights right in front of the "cockpit". Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.