Help needed LINUX + STEAM + PROTON issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daniel Dias, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

Hi all,

I was playing Empyrion 1.4.x with Proton 5.13-6 with launch option PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% and everything was working fine. I do need this launch option due to FPS issues.

Since update 1.5.x there is an annoying graphical issue: when i press M to see the map, or when i talk to a trader, the screen becomes darker. To fix it i just need to look at any builded block (like my motorcycle, for example). And screen get back to normal. This is annoying because when in a ship in the space, if i see the map i need to stop the ship, get out, look at cockpit and get in again... Or space will be so dark...

The issue above does not happens with Proton 6.3-4 or Experimental. BUT, and i don't know why, the launch option to use Wine D3D instead of DXVK (above mentioned) just doesn't work with 6.3-4 and above versions of Proton. Game launches, appears a "Unity" loading screen and crashes.

Without Wine D3D launch option, game runs in Proton 6.3-4, but with drastic FPS drop (from 60 to 20). But no graphic issues.

I used the PROTON_LOG=1 option, attached log.

Attached Files:

2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Can't help you... I solved all my Linux problems years ago by switching to Windows and reallocating my Linux machines to the roles of Router, Mail Server and Mail Filter. Never have any problems with them.

It does sound though, like a Proton issue. Have you reached out to that community? Perhaps there is something with how it's being called that is causing the crash?

Daniel Dias likes this.
  3. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Thanks for the link back - let me know if you find a solution.

Daniel Dias likes this.
  5. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

@IndigoWyrd i have found a fix!

Compatibility: Proton 5.13-6

Launch options: PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%

GL_THREADED fix the graphic issues in Empyrion 1.5.x.

It's works with nVidia. Other launch options may help, but are not really needed:

PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=/path/to/location __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1 %command%

Don't forget to change /path/to/location to the path you want cache to be saved in your Linux system.

6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Why do you use WINED3D11? Also why do you need all those options in "Launch Options"? And why no use gamemoderun?

Screenshot from 2021-06-30 18-07-49.png Screenshot from 2021-06-30 18-10-36.png

Pay attention on mangohud on the low right corner. It clearly shows DXVK and Proton 6.3-5, although I never had any issues with previous Proton or Glorious Egroll (Proton fork) The GE has all the Proton's patches ported over to be applied to WINE, as well as Wine-staging and VKD3D.

7. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

Due to severe FPS drop. Without WINED3D FPS fall from 50-60 to less than 10. Everybody talk about it, read it here: https://www.protondb.com/app/383120

WINED3D just for FPS
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS fix screen becoming darker, the issue i have reported
    __GL_SHADER_DISK is not needed, it runs well without it.

Never heard about it.

I didn't knowed about it. But i have installed it right now and tested. FPS 7 here. And with mangohud gamemoderun %command% it crashes. Have tested just mangohud %command% and gamemoderun %command%. Both crashes. Even don't load.

8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Well use whatever works better for you then. I never saw a drop that big. My (under powered manually on purpose at 70%) GTX 1070 in 1080p mostly maxed settings with FPS caped at 70 actually remains between 61 and 70 and rarely drops to 54. What configuration have you done with WINE tricks regarding Empyrion? You paired a R7 R5 1600 with a GTX 970. Your configuration is weak GPU wise for the game. Hence the FPS drops.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  9. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

@Myrmidon, hi again!

I did a research about gamemode and installed it (sudo aptitude install gamemode). Debian 11 here.

Tests realized under the same conditions:

NO launch options:
    Proton-6.10-GE-1 ... FPS 22
    Proton 6.3-5 ............ FPS 17
    Proton 5.13-6 .......... FPS 22

Launch option: gamemoderun %command%
    Proton-6.10-GE-1 ... FPS 22
    Proton 6.3-5 ............ FPS 22
    Proton 5.13-6 .......... DON'T RUN
    So, gamemode do not make difference for me.

Launch option: PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 %command%
    Proton-6.10-GE-1 ... DON'T RUN
    Proton 6.3-5 ............ FPS 37~40
    Proton 5.13-6 .......... FPS 55~60

Launch option: gamemoderun PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 %command%
    Proton 6.3-5 ............ FPS 39~42
    Proton 5.13-6 .......... DON'T RUN
    Again, gamemode make no difference here. Stop testing with it.

Launch option: PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%
    Proton 6.3-5 ............ FPS 29~31
    Proton 5.13-6 .......... FPS 38~40
    GL_THREADED causes FPS drop, but it's fix the darker screen issue after pressing M to see the map. And the FPS drop is still above the FPS 17~22 obtained with NO launch options.

10. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

I didn't used any configuration in winetricks.

I should agree, my GTX 970 is old for most games. I run it in FAST (lowest graphics settings).

I am using AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF (this AF is equivalent to Ryzen 5 2600 and Core i7 6700).

11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

OK. Here is the thing. I am not sure if your hardware and drivers support it but you need to use DXVK and ESYNC. Needs GPU capable of Vulkan and drivers that support that. I have no full information about your system so I can not tell you.Drivers distro etc info is missing. You have to find out. Try watching this video for how to guides regarding those two features. I think 970 does support Vulkan.

Finaly on ProtonDB for Empyrion, some users have reported issues with GT970 like yours. Check them out see if you find something useful there too.

Daniel Dias and byo13 like this.
  12. Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias Ensign

Thank you. I have DXVK 1.9 installed, Wine Staging 6.11, ESYNC enabled, my GPU supports Vulkan, driver from Debian 11 (bullseye) repository version 460.73.01-1.

• GPU PNY GeForce GTX 970, 4GB GDDR5 (DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.4, Vulkan 1.1.73)
    • CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (YD1600BBAFBOX), 6 core, 12 threads (performance similar to Core i7-6700)
    • Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H V2 (BIOS ver. F51c)
    • Memory (2x) HyperX Fury, 8GB, 2666MHz, DDR4, CL16, Black (HX426C16FB3/8)
    • SSD KingDian, M.2 2280, 1700/1000 MB/s, 256 Gb, NVME SSD 256GB (S1111H0L)
    Thank you for the link anyway.

Myrmidon likes this.
  13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Linux gaming is here to stay. Major companies like valve and many minor indie developers and individuals create content and applications to make the experience if not better, on par with windows, on same hardware. I think if you get your hands on a better hardware you will enjoy Empyrion and other games to their fullest.

SylenThunder and Daniel Dias like this.
  14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

As much as I would like to agree, there still is not that much vendor support yet. Windows is going to remain the primary, mainstream platform for PC gaming for quite a while. They command the largest market share, at or around 80%, with OSX (Mac) trailing in 2nd at close to 17%, and Linux in dead last behind Android, peaking at a high of 1.1%.

And why? This thread is a great example of why - Linux simply requires too much "use" to use. Too many configurations, too many customizations, too many tweaks and too much fiddling. For the 1.1% of us who actually like this, this is fine. But for the other 98.9% of the world, they're not interested in putting this sort of effort into playing a game.

I've been a linux user since, well, since there was only UNIX, and for my servers, routers, mail filters... I can't really ask for more - the reliability and stability are fantastic, along with the low hardware requirements. But when it comes to gaming, I'm guilty of liking to be lazy too... let me sit down, double-click and play. That's all the more effort I want to put into it.

15. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

@IndigoWyrd Let me remind you that the high IQ people is one digit in percentage scale. It is a free world though. One wants to go by the numbers. Fine. Oh and tweaking only needs to happen once. Finally, who said Windows does not need tweaking too?

16. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Once, per build, per recompile, maybe, unless your configuration files get gunked. And I make no excuses for Windows either - Google Microsoft SARA and tell me how writing a program to fix problems with other programs is somehow better than just fixing the program in the first place!

Linux has also made me a lot of money over the years. Won a bid to put in 1100 interactive kiosks not to long ago, and had no problems selling 1100 linux PC's that do little more than display a web page because I could underbid Microsoft licensing by enough thousands of dollars to win a sizable bid, and they're still going strong to this day.

I'm quite pleased with the fact Linux can run on a pocket calculator just as well as it can on a major datacenter server - but it does have its limits as well. The realm of 3d modeling and CAD applications available is one good example. There are reasons why you won't see blockbuster films produced using Blender or Wings, and on the CAD side, when your best package is Seimen's NX at $300,000-$500,000 per package, well, it's easy to see why Autodesk and Dassault remain kings in this arena, and they don't run in Linux. They won't even install.