Long time EGS player begging for help

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by sof2man, Mar 20, 2022.

?

Should we get a "quick" fix for artificial gravity in large stations/ships implemented right away?

1. Yes, we have waited long enough!

100.0%
  2. No, I only build tiny space stations/CVs, so I don't care about this.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dave's not here, man!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sof2man

sof2man Ensign

Hi there,

I bought this game a long time ago on steam. I have 856 hours logged in EGS on steam, this for a family guy that can only play sometimes. I have talked a number of friends into buying it over the years. I have a few more that I am trying to talk into buying it. There are lots of things I would love to see added to EGS, but only one thing I feel like I cannot live without:

Can we please get a simple way to work with artificial gravity in space? Pretty please?

Of course, the ideal would be configurable gravity fields, I have only seen about a million other forum posts requesting that and I agree with it. But I am a simple guy. I don't need everything. I can live with just the basics.

Like all EGS players (probably), I have built a space station that I am quite fond of, and like all EGS players (I'm guessing) I decided that my home space station should be big. Not gargantuan, maybe, but massive for sure. I am not super artistic, so the basic floorplan of my big space station home is a rectangle about 260 x 300 meters.

I have spent more hours than I care to admit, confusing myself with geometry exercises, before coming to what should have been the obvious conclusion right from the start: My space station can never have an even gravity field across it's entirety under the current game rules. Never will I be able to take a stroll around its many ramps, stairways, catwalks, elevators, without coming across areas of extreme high gravity or no gravity at all. Because it is mathematically impossible to tile a rectangular plane with circles!

Here are two really easy solutions that would make me (and I assume many others) so terribly happy, that don't require gravity generators to be completely overhauled:

1) A suit extension like "magnet boots" that gives the player artificial gravity of 1g wherever they are standing. The orientation could be "normal to" the natural orientation of whatever base or ship the player is above when they deactivate jetpack, or it could simply "stick" the player to whatever direction their feet are facing when they turn off jetpacks, which would allow walking on walls in space. If no block is detected within a certain range of the player, the extension does nothing.

2) Add a single toggle to the existing gravity generator device within the signal logic area: STACK WITH OTHER GRAVITY FIELDS, Y/N? When toggled off for a specific generator device, that device's artificial gravity field won't stack with other gravity fields when they overlap. When toggled on, they do stack. This allows the designer of a large BA or CV to easily place an array of grav generators to provide a consistent 1g artificial acceleration across the entire habitable area, and still leaves open the possibility to stack gravity fields deliberately if you want to.

Come on guys, this one should be a no brainer to implement, like yesterday. Obviously the grav generator model as it exists is too limited to be useful for anything but small structures. And I am sure the devs didn't give us the ability to build big if they wanted us to stick to small stuff. I am totally OK with a band-aid fix for this, but I feel like a fix is desperately needed. I'm more than a little surprised that this same weakness I banged my head against years ago when designing my huge star destroyer CV is still in exactly the same state today!

2. Spoon

Spoon Captain

A simpler way to do your point 2 would be to make the gravity field like the sensor field. Cuboid in design and also be able to alter the size of the field. (This has been mentioned in past threads) This way you can have multiple fields that don't overlap each other. (Unless you want them to)