Make Stars Bright Again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zarzloy, Jan 17, 2022.

1. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

First time I played Empyreon enough to build a SV, escaped atmosphere of starting planet and saw space full of bright, shiny, twinkling stars (especially when pressed M and realized the fact every star have real prototype)
    Then I loved Empyreon.
    I flied to the edge of galaxy just to see milky way laying before me with all myiad of its star
    I flied to the center of galaxy to swim in ocean of lights
    I was frustrated by the game and bugs and left it for months waiting for next version just to return and see stars again.
    I was sure that Empyreon can be not the best game, but Empyreon will stay the best game about stars and galaxy

But 1.7 took stars from me... for me, and from every one of you, who have same feelings when gazing in endless galaxy shining with every of its stars.

Stars today ( from starter planet)
    v2.jpg
    Stars in Empyreon v 1.0
    galaxy1.jpg

Feel the difference and try not to cry!

Here are some screenshots with Reforged Eden. 1.7
    gal333.jpg

Stars as they must be, because in Galaxy Map they are unchanged.
    gal34.jpg

You can check difference in your own game comparing stars in space flight mode and Galaxy Map.

Dear developers, you made game in 1.7 more better and smooth, drone is good, but please return stars back, because this game is about stars!

Attached Files:

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Patches of bright colors in space are too much "fantasy land" and not realistic at all. I personally prefer dark space with faint stars like reality. Too much cheese everywhere makes cheese mundane and space looks like a christmas tree.

I feel the same about orbits (playfields) : too many asteroids in too many systems, too many bright rings.

Wanev and krazzykid2006 like this.
  3. I much prefer the darkness with faint stars as it's more realistic.
    It's also much easier to find way points and hud markers when it isn't overly bright and cartoonish.

Hopefully one day it'll become an easy to change setting when starting a new save.
    For now I personally prefer it stay how it is.

I would actually prefer an easy way to remove the overly bright cartoonish space from the rest of the game as well.
    I'm not big on editing that, just have no desire.

4. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

result.jpg
    I can agree with your opinion, main problem is in "stretching" of distant stars as you can see on this pic.
    Stars can be smaller, but they must not turn in grey dots near borders of screen

5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The stretching of stars I don't think can be avoided since that is due to the FOV of your game.

Germanicus likes this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That is actually a really easy change to make in GalaxyConfig.ecf if you simply want all nebula gone.

7. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

Maybe I can change stars this way too?

8. I know it isn't difficult, but it's just yet another thing I would have to check for changes every update.

I would much prefer a way to set it through built in settings, eventually, or even just have skyboxes we can subscribe to eventually (would require changes internally first).

Either way I'm not making a big deal out of it. Just something I hope changes at some point (no big deal if not though).

Is definitely one of those very subjective things. Some people love the cartoonish colors and brightness, some absolutely hate it.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

They can now be heavily configured for scenarios so nebulas can be important for custom scenarios (and the default game if they ever make use of it). But a video option to simply turn them off might be good.
    Downloadable skyboxes wouldn't really work because unlike some other games the skybox in Empyrion is dynamic and shows the real galaxy.

10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can't change HOW they are shown, no. They will still be dimmer and white at a distance.

11. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

This game needs Vortex for modding. It would make it so much easier for players to implement changes without having to restore files/content when updates overwrite them.

12. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

1448145298117120442.jpg

13. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

Compare stars at galaxy map and game screen. Awesome / Ugly
    Any hope to change this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Stars are never brighter compared to the Central Star of the Solar System you are in.

15. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

Brightness is not a main question. The whole visual effect of stars changed in 1.7. Before 1.7 stars in space screen were like stars in galaxy map. Now they are not. Compare 2 screenshots. Stars at galaxy map are smaller, sharper, with little halo, more detalized. Most stars on main screen - just a grey dots.
    Thats what I struggle for. I have no idea why everyone did not noticed negative change. Space before 1.7 was better. You can alvays open galaxy map and see what we lost.

Needleship likes this.
  16. Needleship

Needleship Master of Custom Terrain

The "max distance of display" of stars in the 'space view' got cut down, a while ago, by hardcode.

I'm also missing the starfield. :(

I wish this would be a parameter that could be tweaked in the GalaxyConfig., depending on the galaxy layout.

17. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign

At last I have man on my side. How do you think, if we will find more people, would developers pay attention to this topic?

18. zarzloy

zarzloy Ensign