Melee Weapons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Traveler, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Traveler

Traveler Ensign

Huge scifi fan, and thought it might be cool if this game had some cool science fiction melee weapons. I noticed that there are few stealthy ways to take enemies out, and outside chain saw if you run out of ammo you have no option to hit an enemy, not even fists. Would be great if we got like some sort of scifi sword, zap stick, maybe even just the primitive spears the Talon carry could be a low grade melee option.

2. Kael

Kael Ensign

I would even include swords like cutlasses and knives/daggers so you can also fight creatures underwater.

3. Honestly, before we can get real melee weapons, they need to actually fix/implement the game mechanics that would be necessary.

For one, currently most things can melee you from around 3.5 meters- 9 meters away.
    That's going to have to change before we can actually get in melee fights with critters. No point in trying to melee when things can hit you from 9 meters away (usually much further than their entire model by multiple times).

Second, currently you can't really dodge incoming melee attacks unless you are already outside their range. The attack lands often times before they even start their attack animation.
    Lots of times even if you visually should have dodged it they still hit you. Sometimes they aren't even close to facing you and they still land a melee hit...... somehow.

I could go on and on.
    Melee just isn't good at all in this game currently. Things would have to change before melee becomes a real weapon for the player.
    In my opinion, of course.

Spoon likes this.
  4. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Instead of melee weapons they could change the useless chainsaw with booby traps (grenades detonable on command), this would work well even in the current game.
    Besides with melee weapons if you get close to creatures or Legacy enemies you get infected, so I see no sense of it.

corpowat likes this.
  5. corpowat

corpowat Ensign

this i think you mean claymore type mines?

6. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

I mean weapons that you place like explosives but detonate with a key command. This would work well in cases where a place is over-filled with enemies. Make these weapons *moderatly* collectable in loots and in difficult POIs so beginners cannot get their hands on them easily, and/or as sellable weapons at very high price - a reason to spend your tons of money in the late game.

Now, melee weapons would work well on troops that don't infect you, but to be fun these troops would need to react in a way not letting you punch them without resistance...Difficult to implement, and surely not possible atm.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Or just having a self-destruct command to the personal drone, which then explodes with significant damage area... So players can "pilot" their remote bomb to the exact spot where they want it to explode.

This could surely be done much more easily than having some "free" object players can throw around, because that is not possible right now for any kind of object.

And this would be fair even in PvP since other players can shoot down the drone before it comes too close.