Fixed Motorbike 'sink' in terrain texture

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by PavelS, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PavelS

PavelS Ensign

Dear developers,
    1. drive a motorbike in mountain terrain where you have a lot of steep hills to reproduce quickly
    2. when you jum down the hill, motorbike seems to spin on impact (this is realistic and fine)
    3. at some point you get situation where you see yourself upside down and camera displays view behind texture <attached screenshots>
    4. get out of the bike to see how it is sinked in the terrain
    5. get on the bike > you get situaion in point 3
    6. pick the bike into your inventory and place on the ground again to reset to normal behavior

there was probably a terrain combination which forced my character (when I get out of the bike) to spawn probably 50 meters from the bike. This seems to be performed by the jump and my character had broken leg.

thanks for looking into this.

version 9.4.0.2281

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    kiberborg likes this.
  2. aztekann

aztekann Ensign

I've seen this happening with bikes since long ago, maybe before A7, though quite rarely.
    I've also seen it happen with Mules (they walk 'on air' or get knee-deep into the ground) and very rarely with the player himself, to the point that you can walk lower and lower until your viewpoint gets below the ground.

The sinking (but also floating! depending on where you are exactly) seems to correct itself after some time, in sudden jumps.

I believe it's an issue with the resolution of the terrain collider, which seems to be initially generated with a coarse function and only later on does it proceed with calculating finer relief. Basically a game-engine and/or hardware lag.
    In my experience it doesnt happen on terrain that has been loaded in memory for a while, which kindof confirms the hardware connection.

Sometimes you can spot that progressive generation even on the visible relief, near the horizon.

That exact situation used to catapult players into space at the speed of light so to speak, which resulted in highly irritating stupid deaths.
    It might be related to server lag, and it only got fixed in the last update, which now caps your personal speed to about 50m/s rather than the previous 999,999,999 m/s or whatever...
    And it took a lot of reports, a lot of time (and a lot of anger for me dealing with the forget-the-bike movement on steam...) before they decided to fix it.
    Be thankful you only broke your leg.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019