New Base Attack

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 17, 2019.

1. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

It matters not the reason it is not fun

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Enemies shoot at us and kill us. That's not fun either.

3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I agree that Talon (and even Zirax really) shouldn't have the "hacking" ability. I sort of get it's to compensate for an as yet immature AI, but it's really not a solution at this time.

I think the Talon might try to attack a player base, but if they're easily beaten - as they should be - either via Base defences or simply the player with automatic weapons they should re-think their strategy. Having them just "camp" the player's base, well out of turret range to harass them when they leave their base might work. I proposed the Zirax do something similar, setting up a "camp" outside of a Bases turret range and building simple POI's over time to harass the player further. Both Talon and Zirax could do this if their attacks are thwarted, the former constructing a balista outpost which is low threat to a prepared player, but might upset one just wandering outside. The Zirax could of course escalate things with a simple bunker - from which Zirax Troops can take cover an harass the player - to a full blown guided missile POI.

I don't know of course, but having the game dynamically spawn in a small Talon / Zirax POI after they've been "camped" in an area for a while, sounds like something readily achievable in the engine currently - just as the Player spawns in POI's now.

In essence, if the Talon / Zirax / Polaris (one day) cannot readily defeat your base, having them camp outside and besiege it forcing the player to come out and play sounds like FUN to me. The mechanic with the Zirax would consist of Troop (and material) transports dropping off Zirax and supplies as the mini POI is constructed. Having "stages" of a POI to show it being "built" would be cool, with one POI "upgrading" to the next level to simulate this. Talon stuff would be built from Wood etc. so it can be assumed they'd build a wooden structure due to their lower tech using local materials.

Just a thought.

Edit: I bet many of the creators out there would relish building a tiered POI. I.e. start with just a few blocks for T1, T2 would gain some sentries, T3 might have a main gun and T4 see that main gun getting upgraded and more armour added etc. etc. I've wanted "upgrades" in the game for ages, i.e. I could spawn in my MK1 CV then "upgrade" it to the Mk2 that was the natural progression for that vessel in the original Survival Game I created, and subsequently upgraded, it in.

Scoob.

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

@Scoob : I see these "attacks" as another tool in the kit, nothing more. But I see players grasping at their bases like if they had signed a contract with the land owner...

I think we can't decide the story for Eleon. I don't know what they have in mind, and I have to trust what Hummel mentioned in the "Lore, Factions & Story" section. As written in game in the PDA, "we don't know" what the Talon are, and it's possible their story goes way back in time, where they "maybe" were an advanced civilisation. So I'm certainly not one in position to say "the Talon are primitives" and should do this or that.

If we were to have an even harder start, we could have simpler tools to make progression to a turret-defended base and warp-capable CV a much longer story than what it is now.

Robinson-1.png
    I don't think Talon or Zirax would need to "hack" my base here. In fact this illustrates how far I feel from "survival" on the starter planet when seeing how easy it is to get protected from the "end game villains" that require big tech to defend against. Just a few hours and players have their home cinema, shower, turret defenses, automation, etc. But from the moment we fall down to the moment we fear nothing except "hacking attack" there is no intermediary step like fires, bows and arrows, hunting traps, melee attacks, and all the little things you can see in the picture.

So I'm not sure the "hack attack" is the problem here ; it's just another tool in the kit. Now that it has been "invented" they can keep it and use it as they see fit, but surely they will not just throw it away.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

My big question is will poi's fall under the same rules for cpu as player bases will? Do they get bad ass bases because they don't have a cpu limit?

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Heck, they don't even have fuel limits !

7. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Some will need adapting but most already fall within limits

Biggest issue are PVs but will come in due time

Most of them are way due for a redo anyways....

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I think for an enemy Outpost as I describe, the Zirax would bring in Fuel and other items to keep it running. I.e. Fuel Tanks with Fuel, O2 Tanks with O2, Fridges with Food and even "loot" for the player in the form of Zirax Weapon and Ammo lockers...reward the player for taking them out!

Re: POI's and CPU limit, well, I assume these also fall under performance which is the entire point of CPU. It would be nice to still get some super large POI's though, I mean, they're FUN. My largest Base doesn't even come close to the size of the larger POI's - even counting huge concrete areas to land CV's.

Scoob.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I remember some players suggested nuclear weapons some time ago...

I imagine the outrage if "enemies" had the same ...

--------------------------------------------
    Found the Zirax "hacking" weapon (I think) in the config.ecf:

{ Item Id: 2642, Name: EMPAttackBlocksWeapon
    StackSize: 1
    Category: Weapons/Items
    Mass: 12, type: float, display: false, formatter: Kilogram
    {
    ROF: 6, type: float
    Range: 150, display: true
    Damage: 30, display: true
    Tracer:
    }
    }

And the shaman also :

{ Item Id: 2645, Name: TalonShamaneDrainPower
    StackSize: 1
    Category: Weapons/Items
    Mass: 12, type: float, display: false, formatter: Kilogram
    {
    Damage: 5, display: true
    Tracer:
    }
    }

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Bollen likes this.
  10. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I find enemies shooting at me when assaulting there home stuff fun. It is not just about the loot. the base attacks are not fun nor interesting or challenging. They are just repetitive boring and unrealistic. Not fun

runlykhel likes this.
  11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

"Realistic" is not fun either.

12. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Unrealistic from a game standpoint. There is no reason within the game to believe the Tallon has the Magic powers to shut off all power. If they have such power why are the Polaris and Zirax still on the planet?
    I am not speaking of realism referring to the corporal world.

13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

It's obvious they don't have the numbers against either zirax or Polaris, but they surely can harrass a single stranded human. And seeing how we can easily dispatch them versus the difficulty to do the same with Zirax bases, it's a bit suicidal for Talon to even harrass the player.

My question would rather be : why ? If they are the zirax enemies, why not seeking alliance with the player instead of doing the bully work for the zirax, while they don't even like them ?

Because "lore" wise, I see potential in this, for later game.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  14. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

But what i don't get is, how Talon can Attack my Base on a Moon where they don't have a single POI!

15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

They are on the moons too ? No oxygen ?

16. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

That's a bug, you should report it

17. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

From what I understand, it completely makes the story look like it was not thought out properly, it looks cheap and nasty, a stop gap band aid to a problem that relates more to pathfinding or the lack of an AI !

Cant have a fair stand up fight !

How did this game go from fair stand up fight fun, to cheating with a total BS backstory to boot ???

In District 9, a great example of why our backstory is total and utter garbage, did them prawns stay primitive or did they do advanced tech work to try and escape, think about that, and why the Humans raided them at all in there camp, its a great example of an advanced race not being capable of holding back another advanced race, given its fiction, but I didnt bring them up, and if you look at the real world, every single country is an example of that also, but this game, in its wisdom, gives Talon super hacking tech, when they dont even have black and white TV yet, come on, its so illogical it ruins any chance of a decent story to this game.

runlykhel and krazzykid2006 like this.
  18. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

My understanding is that Talon do not use "tech" but some shaman's abilities.

Your example with district 9 doesn't go back far in time like the Talon-Zirax relation. In district 9 the aliens have not been crushed or controlled for generations, while we don't know what was the case with the Talon.

I can use an example too : in the movie Valerian and the city of a thousand planets, the "primitives" (Pearls) we see in the intro have no interest for technology (at first) and have special psychic abilities that can have effects as far as another star system, yet when the time of need comes they are able to learn much and fast to the point of mastering "modern tech" gathered from other species to build a space ship.

If there is a plot hole, I want to see the plot first. But I don't think it's a linear case of grunts not having guns are primitives and should be stupid to the point of being cannon fodder for the player's turrets.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  19. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

Just a little personal opinion feedback regarding the initial drone attack. After just playing a new game for approximately an hour and a half, my first base attempt, not even in anyone's territory, was completely wiped out by a rocket drone, one of the three drones in the attack.:eek:

Having a rocket drone in the first wave seems to be a little overkill, and yes, I did shoot them all down without dying, just not fast enough...lol.:p

And yes I do no how to set up bases etcetera, I'm trying to play like a newcomer, (which is hard lol).;)

Kassonnade likes this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

One rocket is enough to take out many blocks (3480 blast damage with 4 block radius, if I'm right). Concrete has 600 hp, armored concrete 2200 hp. So we need bunkers with many block thickness against these drones... No wonder players dig their bases in a hole !

runlykhel likes this.