New HEAVY Window Shapes

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I figure you will get them eventually. :) But let's see if anyone else needs what I do. I can keep using the old armored windows for now (I'm just looking forward to upgrading ;) ).

There are 2 screenshots below. One is the original pre-HW design. It uses slanted windows, both 1x1 and 1x2, as well as the 1x2 triangle windows. I included a blueprint link that has the window I'm trying to modify.

I don't have to do HW in the exact same shape, but aiming for something close but similar. I *almost* get there with existing pieces, but I'm missing a few variants.

The second screenshot shows how I made a nice, big open front screen... but the slants are the problem. We have only one slanted block (G, with H as a filler/connector for it), and it just doesn't work for what I'm doing. I used G and H in the second screenshot, and you can see the variants I'd need.

1. G with only one frame on the long side (where the frames are today, but only one) (this would be on the right side of the screenshot, bottom row)
    2. G with no frames at all (right side of the screenshot, middle rows)
    3. G with only one frame on the SHORT side (the sides on G that do not have frames today) (this would be at the top of the screenshot)
    4. (might want to add G with frames on both short sides when do this--not sure I'd use it, but it would complete the G "set", if you get my meaning) (I don't need these, but it's part of the set)
    5. H with only one frame (for the right side, with G, bottom row)
    6. H with no frames (for the right side, with G, middle row)
    7. ... new triangle connector (double slanted, if that makes sense?) which would go at the top connecting corner of the two walls (I'd need exactly 2 of those for this build, and I'm hoping you can see what it would have to be..., or @Jeffglobal can see it from what I've provided). I'd prefer this with no frames for one big, clear window.
    EDIT:
    I could be wrong about number 3... it may be that I'd need H with the connector on the long side instead of the short side. Hopefully, it will be clear from what I'm trying to do...?

Original windows screenshot:
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....796/9839B851F2D7983B17B97689A864302189D8911D/

Heavy window example showing G and H in the places where the pieces are still needed:
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....056/5E7562E2056C4E37B955766EA11A77FAA015F1E1/

Link to blueprint that has the original window if someone wants to tinker (I'm in the process of upgrading this to A10, so this is an older build):
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1226855156

Germanicus likes this.
  2. markis007

markis007 Lieutenant

There is a clear frameless all glass heavy window (HeavyWindowP & HeavyWindowQ) which can be used to make large panoramic windows. What is missing are diagonal versions of a number of the heavy window blocks. These are required for angled windows. See attached screenshot.

The single frame and frameless window blocks can be rotated to any face of a cube, but cannot currently be positioned diagonally as required when creating angled or curved large panoramic Wrap aroungd "Cockpit" views.

View attachment 60573
    A10-Window-Shapes.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. markis007

markis007 Lieutenant

I created a very crude screenshot of the blocks that I believe are required (see attached). However on further thought the real issue that is requiring additional blocks to "fill in the gaps" for use in creating angled or curved windows is that these windows all take up one block in space and can be rotated around the face of the cube/block - but not angled across the block (see attached position diagram showing the only angled window block - Window G - that is currently available for use). Instead of creating additional window blocks, is there some way that existing window blocks can not only be rotated but angled as well (like WindowG)?

This would allow large panoramic angled or curved windows to be created.

WindowG is really the only Heavy Window currently available that is positioned on an angle from one corner of the block to the other diagonally. Many more angled blocks are required for large panoramic angled or curved windows to be created.

A10-Window-Shapes.jpg
    A10-AngledWindowG.jpg
    View attachment 60576

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. Gromit

Gromit Captain

Are there any plans for vertical slant pieces like with the original windows?

baddkarma74 likes this.
  5. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@markis007 : I think you are looking for the same pieces I am?

markis007 likes this.
  6. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@Pach, @markis007, I think I see what you guys are saying, I'll look at it tomorrow. I'm gonna have to model copies of the windows myself, so it'll probably be in the afternoon. From what I can tell without my workstation and on MS Paint, this is the issue with what you guys are calling slanted, and I would call "diagonal"* @Gromit's slanted is more like I thought @markis007 was talking about until I saw his pics and @Pach's descriptions. I thought slanted meant the old 1x2 or 2x1 windows that stand taller like in this pic: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....796/9839B851F2D7983B17B97689A864302189D8911D/

Really cheezy pic.png

Now that I see the G block I see the asymmetric position in the cube, and that's the issue. When you rotate G, it doesn't line up in a way even the little corner window block would allow a bridge to continue on the diagonal of the base of the cube itself. If I see it right, another block would have to be designed either that can be rotated and then have a corner fit in the space or I'll see if it could be like the ramp block people use to build diagonal beams that they get by placing the block rotated on itself across...not sure yet until I make the blocks on the computer.

7. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@Jeffglobal :

H is the connector between Gs that you are thinking of (I think). I actually use H with G on the right side of my second screenshot--otherwise, there would be gaps between the G pieces (try it... you will see what I mean!).

The issue I have, is that we only have the one version of both G and H: with the borders on the 2 "long" sides of G (and the matching short side of H). If you want a big pane, you need the single-border versions, and the no-border version. You also need the "rotated" version of G (where the borders would go on the short sides, or one short side).

There's also a missing triangle connector to link the different rotations of G (there's probably more than one of these missing).

markis007 likes this.
  8. stubert812

stubert812 Lieutenant

Hi Thanks for the new windows they're great but there is no connecting windows only straight edge ones. Is there any chance that we could get a no edge window for windows E /F / G ? (corner windows) also a one edged windows for the same? Photo's are examples of why. Thank you for your consideration.

Sorry I didn't see this thread and put it into the new block shapes thread.

9. markis007

markis007 Lieutenant

Agreed - you need the single-border versions, and the no-border versions of these blocks to enable large diagonal and curved windows.
    The proposed single border and no border blocks would eliminate the "shelves" in the examples above.

stubert812 likes this.
  10. markis007

markis007 Lieutenant

I believe that we are all looking for the same pieces - just not expressing our requests clearly. (Even with our illustrations).

Essentially we are looking for single border and no border versions of the slanted or diagonal blocks (Window G and H) and single and no border versions of the corner windows (windows E & F).

Pach and stubert812 like this.
  11. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@Pach, @markis007, and @stubert812, et. al., who shall remain nameless... I made the "slant" Frameless blocks for you guys to verify. The 2 blocks should correspond to the G block and the corner block that connects it. I'll work on the frameless corner blocks, but those should be relatively obvious even without a mock up...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  12. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@Jeffglobal Yes, those are some of the pieces I'm looking for exactly. Thank you for making the 3-D models for us to verify! <3

(I'm also looking for those same pieces with single framed sides, but on both the long and short sides, if you get what I mean)

13. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Next in queue.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Pach likes this.
  14. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@Faith, is this the block you're looking for? [waves hand]
    Faith block.jpg
    [​IMG]

15. stubert812

stubert812 Lieutenant

Yep that's one of them very cool. But also like I said we really need the same for all heavy windows E,F&G so you can design larger corners without the lines in them.

16. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

@stubert812, @Pach, et. al., I was looking at the heavy windows closer as I modeled one, and I think the window is actually one thick piece of transparent material, not two panes of glass, so I changed that. I also did a HW corner but with one side, cause @Pach noticed you need that too, to frame the windows without borders (uh oh, windows without borders, it's gonna become a flood!)
    [​IMG]

17. stubert812

stubert812 Lieutenant

The one I was mentioning was the full blocks as in corner to corner which would need to be the 2 pains

18. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@Jeffglobal : what was in your last image isn't what I'm looking for... but you may not have it ready yet, so I'll wait to see what else you put out (making those cool models cannot be very quick to do!)

stubert812 likes this.
  19. Jeffglobal

Jeffglobal Commander

Well, I took your idea of having one side done on the "borderless" HWs and applied it to one of the windows Stubert pointed out.

Do you agree, the HWs look more like the thick glass in the last example gif, than the two panes? I have to darken the glass too, I'll do that next time.

Today I was able to refresh how to put the substance maps into octane, and which and how to put the substance maps into Unity. I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna refresh how to use arnold renderer yet (though it's snazzy), and I've noticed my modeling both in C4D/Maya and ZBrush is still rusty af. It's coming back super fast though. I solved the interoperability between the software, so that's a plus. So it looks like at least a daily render, hopefully two-three, as I partition my time between taking refresher courses and actually applying what I relearned.

20. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I'm just in awe that you can actually make a picture of what we are looking for. The whole last paragraph of your post was a foreign language to me!

I'm kinda torn on 2 pane vs. 1 thick pane. Aircraft windows are actually 2 panes, and probably more "realistic". But 1 thick pane looks more like what I'd think "heavy windows" would be.

stanley bourdon likes this.