New Starting Planets - Not a Fan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alendi Istari, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Alendi Istari

Alendi Istari Lieutenant

I just wanted to say that I am really not impressed with the new starting planets. While I can get the idea of what the Devs are trying to accomplish (get players into space sooner), I think these changes really hurt the game.

First, as I always do, I started on Akua. The new look for flora is pretty and I started out really excited for the new changes. I built my first base and rapidly added two turrets to the base to defend against the inevitable Zirax drone attacks. I'm still waiting. I never thought I would say this, but I really, REALLY miss those drone attacks.

Secondly, I was able to find some small amounts of cobalt and titanium for building components - even including multitools. Great!!! But nary a drop of promethium to make the ammo for it. *sigh*. I wonder if the brainiac that decided NOT to put any prometium on Akua has ever tried to build a spacecraft WITHOUT a multitool. In a word, it sucks. Not only that, no mining drill either. I was using my survival tool past level 15. That REALLY, REALLY sucks.

Aside from the general lack of a multitool, none of my existing blueprints worked for started SVs or even CVs due to the tiny amount of titanium on Akua. ( usually get several hundred rods worth from salvaging crashed ships). So, without a multitool, I had to essentially rebuild an SV ship. *sign*

No POIs to speak of on Akua. After struggling with building. I traveled to Skillion and found them all over the place. There was quite the hodgepodge there and I did several of them but I have to say, some of those were IMHO too hard for a starter planet. From the patch notes, it looks like the Collection Point POI was scaled down a bit and that's good. That was one of the overly-hard ones. I had to do a lot of POIs before I found any ammo for a multitool. I did finally get promethium on Skillion.

Pretty please, Is there any possibility you Devs can add back one or two of the old Starter planets? I really don't like these new ones at all - or at least the ability to randomly generate one.

Morrigan, Fenris, VPanda and 4 others like this.
  2. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

Yes, the new ones are not very good.

Stampy likes this.
  3. Alendi Istari

Alendi Istari Lieutenant

All the Devs would need to do is create a "default" scenaro that is just the vanilla game but with the option of customizing a starting planet.

Scimarad likes this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

You seem to miss the Point that EGS needs a starting Point where all begins, because this Survival Game has a Storyline.

Akua is the ABSOLUTE BEGINNER-Friendly Planet (no Enemies) to learn the Trade so to speak.
    Skillon, Masperon and Ningues are for the more advanced Player.
    Each Planet has some but not all Ores the Player needs.
    Small Pockets of Surface Rocks give a bit of Material to get an SV into Space OR the Players uses the Portals to jump around and collect it from the other Moons. A bit of ingenuity is required to overcome the lack of Ores.

To the 'missing' Promethium... it helps to do a bit exploring on Land or under Water or on other Planets.

5. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

Are you sure?
    There a no enemys? None?

Thats wrong, there are. 90% of the planet are enemyfree.

The point i dont like is, you have to travel between the planets (they are not very close to each other) many times before you get the resources to step into move to other systems. Wasting time, because the servers have to pay and there is always a dead end of sponsoring.

6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

It's all Story driven. Use the Portals in the Obelisk, have a HV/SV already built in your BP-Factory and spawn it on every Moon - fast Exploring and Collecting

7. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

Ok, no answer to my statement of enemyfree!

8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Akua - FREE - of course you can alienate the Talons to you:NewRollingEyes:

9. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

Akua - Not Enemy Free - !!!!

10. Alendi Istari

Alendi Istari Lieutenant

A lot of players, like myself, prefer playing a more sandbox game. These awful new starting planets kills the sandbox game.

Morrigan and Scimarad like this.
  11. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

I'm actualy not a big fan of the new planets either, too small and too custom made for noob content

I which there was a random option that would place us in a random planet in a random sector of the galaxy, no missions, no starting playfield with the deposits and wrecks all in range, just plain survival

Morrigan, Fenris, cmguardia and 2 others like this.
  12. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Are you referring to Raptors?

13. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

Sure, they can kill you, so they are enemies.

14. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

They are part of the Expierience and Talon Quests for Reputation.
    So yes, they are. But mostly at night.

15. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

Not every player will follow a story driven gameplay!

So there will be no free gameplay?

Alendi Istari likes this.
  16. Alendi Istari

Alendi Istari Lieutenant

I also have to admit that finding everything in droves is annoying. On Akua, food is so plentiful, I couldn't spit without hitting some kind of food. Pretty hard to feel like you're playing a survival game when you're walking through the Garden of Eden. Also makes farm plots pretty superfluous.

When I got to Skillion, the wrecks were so crowded, I could have jumped across the desert on foot without touching the sand. It made it really annoying to find resource nodes. Again, it's hard to feel like you're playing a survival game when resources are so plentiful.

akimzav likes this.
  17. Alendi Istari

Alendi Istari Lieutenant

I thought about this overnight. This new starting planet thing feels to me like it should be a scenario, not the main game.

Morrigan and stanley bourdon like this.
  18. Regalzipp

Regalzipp Ensign

This is a good classification.

cmguardia and Alendi Istari like this.
  19. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I have to agree about 1.8 start not really being a very good start. At first I simply thought it was just a different approach and a different way (a bad way) to stretch out progression. I could only assume that, as others have mentioned, this is a new start designed for the most newest of players and the lack of danger is to try to accommodate the new tutorials. I didn't think it was bad, just different. Well I think my "veteran" status must have skewed my perception.

After watching three different streams from three completely new players I have to say I have to say I have never watched people get so frustrated playing which is ironic considering this is supposed to be more helpful for new layers. The buggy quests, the awkward tutorials, the annoying text notifications, it goes on and on.
    Additionally I think the removal of danger besides a few spiders and raptors did not help and removed a lot of excitement so a lot of new streamers got bored. The excitement of potential danger was there but never came. I really think even new players expect some sort of challenge especially in a SURVIVAL game. Not too many folks seemed impressed with Tales of Tash either.

I am usually more than happy to help new folks out but 1.8 has made it a chore. It was much more fun around Alpha 11 when there were a few lightly defended (sentries) Zirax POIs like supply stations, spaceport, etc. The first real danger, Drone Base, was on the moon.

Aside from some of the other improvements I really do think 1.8 as a new start has been a big step backwards. Eleon really needs to play other survival games that have amazing on-boarding starts for new players. Subnautica and Satisfactory come to mind. Granted I doubt Eleon could pull this kind of presentation off but I feel that is what is needed to successfully integrate new players and constantly attempting to do so under the constraints of this system is getting old. How much longer before we are asked to test yet another new tutorial?

I really think Eleon should just embrace the sandbox nature of letting players figure things out. As others have said the tutorials should be individual scenarios instead of trying to stuff all of it into the Robinson Protocol or as I have suggested, make official tutorial videos.

20. akimzav

akimzav Lieutenant

I fear that these new planets represent the direction the devs have decided to take with this game. Namely, the story and story-related content is a priority, and the sandbox part is.. present when it is, and not important when it isn't.

Would be shame if it's true, really. Personally, I was interested in the free sandbox aspect. For a number of reasons, in a number of ways, it stood out in the field of indie games. Without it.. it is not the game that drove my attention to it.

Exactly! Why not make a scenario named 'Tutorial' and just... put all the interactive-tutorial-for-beginners stuff there, leaving the default game clean, harsh, and demanding survival? You know, as in "Galactic Survival"?