Help needed No backpack after respawn

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christianholmes, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

So I left my game running last night to left the autominer run as long as possible. I was at my base (spawn point), figuring who cares if I die. I clicked respawn "Where I am" or whatever just to jump around and immediately see where my backpack was. It's not there. It's literally nowhere. What is that all about? How do I find it?

2. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I think your packpack as a despawn time of about 5 mins when you die.
    Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

3. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

Player backpacks despawn after 1500 seconds (25 minutes).
    So unless you returned to your computer within 25 minutes of when you died then it's gone.

Code:
    { Entity Name: Backpack
      EntityType: PlayerBackpack
      /* Mesh and class properties */
      Mesh: Misc/CargoDropNewUCHPrefab   #In case you do not want the Backpack with UCH logo, use CargoDropNewPrefab instead.
      BlockColor: "0,100,255"
      ModelType: Custom
      Prefab: Backpack
      Class: Backpack
      Parent: Backpack
      /*property name=AvatarController value=Enemy */

TimeStayAfterDeath: 1500

Germanicus likes this.
  4. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

If you are in singleplayer mode then there is no reason to afk to let an autominer run.
    Just use a bed/tent over and over to pass 8(ish) hours in game every time you sleep.
    You can let entire days go by in a matter of seconds and that will count as the autominer running the entire time.

Or, if you just absolutely want to afk, empty your inventory first....

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

LOL I did not even think of that.

Yes, I am in singleplayer, so my question is why would my back despawn if I died and sitting at the respawn screen? Is the game still running the background? That doesn't make sense for singleplayer. The game should be paused until you respawn.

6. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

The game runs on an internal server of sorts even when playing SP.
    If the save is loaded then game ticks/time is passing, unless you use the pause/break button.
    The respawn screen functions the same in SP and MP.

I don't think the game should pause itself on the respawn screen in SP. It is a survival game after all. We should be punished in some way for leaving it running unattended and AFKing.
    Having the game stay running and potentially running your structures out of fuel, spoiling your food/killing crops, I feel is more than okay.

Besides, if it paused the game on the respawn screen, then your whole point of going AFK to let the autominer run wouldn't have worked.
    Well, it would have up until the point you died....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  7. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

I thought the external server only runs when choose local multiplayer/coop? I think it's just running internally in the unity.exe. I mean, you can literally see the dedicated server running on a multiplayer/coop game, but not singleplayer. So I have to disagee- In a pure singleplayer game it should be paused when you die until you respawn/restart etc. I've never seen a singleplayer game continue ticking while the player is waiting to respawn.

Either way, it's fine, but I think this games needs some SERIOUS overhaul to make it more enticing.

You know one thing I noticed? When you first start out on a new game, you can run into a lot of enemies around your first base. But after you start exploring, it seems it doesn't spawn enemies anymore. Like when I salvaged the base at the obelisk on Skillon, I would go outside and get attacked by golems and other creatures. Now... nothing. Nothing spawns there. It's like it doesn't spawn creatures locally anymore. It divides them between all the places you've been to. I find that SO BORING. I wish it was like 7 Days to Die where spawms happen constantly in a local radius. It's much more entertaining.

8. Spoon

Spoon Captain

Minecraft does. I have died while the game is paused and I didn't get back to the computer in the 5 mins despawning time and all my items despawned. My own fault really for not pausing in a safe area.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

You misunderstood, I said internal server.
    It isn't a separate process you can see in the background.
    My point still stands though, the game runs the same way in SP and in MP.
    Devs have confirmed multiple times that it is the same game, just ran on a different server instance.

Edit
    I'm probably butchering my explanation of it.
    I really wish the search function wasn't so bad on this forum so I could just show you the devs own words.
    The forum software this site uses is woefully lacking.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    stanley bourdon likes this.