not really seeing the shotgun nerf

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by boolybooly, Dec 4, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I appreciate that the weapon of choice matters but dont feel balance is right in EXP 1.9 3992.

I am finding it is taking a bunch of shots to take down infected with a shotgun which used to be the weapon of choice sometimes giving one shot kills.

Now you can snipe them to within an inch of their life but if you try to snipe again they take hardly any damage (or outright disappear) and if you go shotgun it is taking about five to seven shots with a T2 to finish them off even up close and personal.

It has gone from sublime to ridiculous and I think it would be better if it was somewhere in between.

And dont even bother using shotgun on N'Ty now, there is only one weapon to use and failing that you are better off using the survival tool which won't take you any longer than a shotgun and will not waste copper.

IMHO the adjustment nerf was too much. Overcompensation you could call it! I can understand trying to create a tactical situation on Ashon but extrapolate this to an entire galaxy sized field of play and I think it has little to recommend it. The shotgun needs to be effective at close quarters and currently is not.

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Antares

Antares Ensign

That's right, the T2 shotgun and the EPIC are now useless. I tested it on Legacy and it sucks.
    AND
    Big weapon nerf Plasma Rifle Eipc
    DMG form 185 to 165
    Recoil from 0.144 to 0.3
    magazine from 56 to 32
    The gun needs to be reloaded too often.
    And the nerf to her damage combined with free fire also doesn't encourage use

3. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Maybe they are doing a Star Citizen on the new weapons, nerf the old, big up the new but the new weapons are not working and anyway please dont do that, Star Citizen sucks and is the model for nothing but bad dev behaviour.

There is nothing to gain from it, Eleon are not selling guns!

Germanicus likes this.
  4. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

The update announcement expressed a desire to see clear differences between higher tier weapons besides simple increased damage. I assume the fully automatic shotgun is a step towards something more qualitative.

The important thing will be to have more advanced guns still be more effective in the hands overall as well as doing a neat new trick. It's fine if each shell does less damage so long as the practical damage per minute is improved. The T2 should be able to put down more dudes in one minute than a T1 in the same situation. Doesn't have to a lot more, just enough more that it justifies the increased expense.

5. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

1.9 4004

I like to immerse a little in gameplay and I take my impression from the feel of it and it does not feel right.

But if you step back and do the math, that does not look right either and the key issue is reload times.

If you factor in reload times and consider DPS, T2 is weaker than T1 shotgun ... and it feels like it.

T2 assault shotgun
    Dmg=40 mag=8 DPmag=320 rpm=400 alleged reload=3.1s
    TrueDPS=(40x8)/ 8x (60/400)+3.1 = 320/4.3 = 69.7

T1 shotgun
    Dmg=100 mag=5 DPmag=500 rpm=71 alleged reload=2.8s
    TrueDPS= (100x5)/ 5x (60/71)+2.8 = 500/7 = 71.1

QED True DPS for T1 (71.1) really is better than for T2 (69.7) shotguns.

If you look at damage per magazine T1 (500) > T2 (320) hands down.

If you look at bang for buck (copper cost) you will also be disappointed as T1 is 2.5x better bang for buck.

All in all T2 shotgun is a no brainer, its simply not worth it because the balance is all wrong.

IMHO T2 plays like a peashooter right now and IMHO damage per shot should be equal for shotguns because the shells are the same. So only difference should be timing of delivery. (EDIT OK IMHO at most 5% less for assault version to power the automatic action, not 60%.)

Its too derpy to make the same shells suddenly do less than half the damage and no fun either. Where is the incentive, where is the "OMG I CAN GET T2 SHOTGUNS NOW!!" thrill? ... N'existe!:p

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    TwitchyJ and Germanicus like this.