Filed / Tracking NPC Drones are effectively immune to player handheld weapons [00614]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by -AKEVA-BANSHEE-, Dec 21, 2022.

1. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

-AKEVA-BANSHEE- Commander

Build: 1.9 4012
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Multiplayer

SERVER NAME: Local Test
    SEED-ID: 1234567

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: 90%
    Severity: Moderate

Type: Global, AI Vessels, Handheld Weapons

Summary: NPC Drones are effectively immune to player handheld weapons

Description: Drones on starter planets are immune to player hand held weapons, however can be damaged by SV gattling guns. Other notes below.

- Drones can poof out of existence every few seconds and come back with full health. While invisble they fly as if they cannot see you and pop back in randomly. (See attached Video link)
    - NPC Drones shoot at player ships even when ships are turned off

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Spawn on a starter planet and equip a assault rifle and a sniper rifle arm up with 300 rounds for each and find a plasma, gat and rocket drones to shoot.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Video taken in live gameplay

DISCLAIMER!
    I recorded this on a server as it was before my recording software bugged out and I just could not be bothered to spend an hour to fix it again. I recreated it on a test server. Which is why I will keep this up. Also Nvida does not recognize this game otherwise I would have recorded with that rather than friiggan OBS.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  2. A.F.T

A.F.T Grand Admiral

Please contact to the server owner or developer of the custom scenario. Vanilla game do not have such survival tool fire mode.

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  3. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

Happens in vanilla test this is where I managed to catch it in recording. I didn't want to do another recording. Happens with t1 wepons, t2 weapons and only epic weapons can kill them fast enough befopre they poof and regen health.

stanley bourdon and ravien_ff like this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Thank you for reporting this!

5. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

You might have to otherwise the devs are likely to file this as not a bug (without further info).

In the attached video it appears as if you don't have enough range on the weapon used, which is why it may get marked as not a bug.
    In the video you are using a survival tool and the UI shows it has a range of 20 meters, while every shot you took on the drone in the video the drone was further than 20 meters. It was out of range for that weapon.

I'm not doubting your claim on this happening with other weapons.
    I'm just pointing out that all evidence provided so far shows not enough range and possibly not a bug to be looked into.

Pach and stanley bourdon like this.
  6. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

This wasn't in vanilla.

The survival tool in your video has 4 options when you opened the wheel. Vanilla ST has only 3.

The survival tool in your video has a red single-shot "bullets" coming out of it. The vanilla ST has a steady red beam.

Finally, at the 1:15 mark, there is a server message welcoming "isavhyrdoponics" to "Broken Eden" server. Which I'm going to guess is running Project Eden.

So if you think this is a vanilla issue, you'd have to make a new recording, because this clearly was modded.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Insopor

Insopor Commander

If you read closely, you see he's in no way claiming the video was vanilla. The video is just an example of the bug occurring. No need to break down the video second by second to support your case.

He could probably throw a comma in his previous message.

My question is whether or not it happens only on servers, but he seems to say it's in offline as well. I've not encountered drones so I don't know, myself.

8. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I just went into vanilla Ashon II start, went to the moon, and killed a drone with an assault rifle (first one you can make).

EDIT:
    Repeated the exercise with a shotgun. We won't discuss how much fun it was to get within 30-odd meters of a minigun drone to shoot it. :p Shotgun did the job, too.

It's not a vanilla bug.

Or. It's intermittent, and would need a save file where it happens to troubleshoot.

Edit 2:
    This was in SP mode, not server/coop.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
    Germanicus likes this.
  9. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

Guys. I already put in a disclaimer for this. I recorded this on a server as it was before my recording software bugged out and I just could not be bothered to spend an hour to fix it again. I recreated it on a test server. witch is why I will keep this up. MOVE ON. Add more information not nit pick at the video. Also Nvida does not recognize this game otherwise I would have recorded with that rather than friiggan OBS.

10. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

My last post wasn't nitpicking the video.

I was posting that I cannot reproduce the error in vanilla game, so it has to be (at best) intermittent (possibly still specific to the mod), and is going to be hard to track down/find unless someone can get a save file with it, where it can be reproduced.

Is this only happening on servers? I was testing in SP.

I don't think I have any server saves where I was on a planet with drones, but I'm on vacation this week, and if it's thought to be a server error, I might be persuaded spin something up to test, and try to get a save where it happens.

But my quick SP test didn't reproduce it.

Germanicus likes this.