NPCs (creatures and drones)

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Perhaps we can say the alien faction have the ability to manipulate deadly local creatures and use them in the same context as "the company" would have used the aliens for in all the Alien movies ^-^

Maybe also the ones being used as cannon fodder by the alien faction should have maybe a little cybernetic attachment to show it is under alien control.
    These could also have a different loot drop with some basic materials from that attachment.

Games not finished yet bud, but ultimately I think it may lead to CV not being able to enter planets at all.

Myself i can attack any enemy base in a small unarmed sheet steel thin sv that looks like a transit van, I dodge weapon fire and just fly right up to it and land where the weapons cant reach, then casually walk into the base and pop the power.

My point is the game seems to be trying to gradually move us away from the idea of using CV's to attack bases or to even bring them to planets at all.

I too would use a cv and hover above a base and wait 10 minutes while it destroys each turret.
    It does not feel right, my ship is bigger than the base, with many more weapons. I should be able to vaporize it easily.

Just seems to me that ground bases are only fun to attack in hv/sv or on foot now.

CV are too over powered for non space playfields, I guess thats why the energy based weapons were removed from planet use list.
    With that done we are left with floating cities armed with only 30m and 15m weapons.

I really do think that they might remove all cv to planet playfield interactions in the future.
    I could be wrong of course.

I feel your being a little unfair at this point toward the devs, I too have felt such frustrations over empyrion issues but I have to remind myself that this is an early access game, its not finished and I also remind myself that they are working on a lot, all the time, the updates clearly show the dedication of the eleon team toward fixing bugs and balancing out all their new features.

There are things that really annoy me too, major bugs that nobody seems to give a crap about no matter how much I post about it ^-^

I guess I just have to sit back watch and have faith, something I dont do easily.

Kassonnade and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Peter

Peter Commander

I returned to the ice planet, and to Masperon, without our BPO's to spawn stuff in it is nearly impossible to make it (and I don't mind), to nerf it now would be a huge mistake, those planets are meant to be visited when you have progressed to a high level and are prepared with the materials you need to deal with the baddies and environment.

That "poison" spitting spider that has seeker venom is annoying but I am building a base just for it, a base that will make it impossible to get close enough to hit me, whilst I shoot it in safety, I would have never thought of the design if that spider didn't attack like it does, I survived a direct assault by that massive drone on the ice planet by a base I designed to hide in, both designs would have never happened had this game not been the way it was, are the drones and creatures over powered...I don't think so, I think they provide a reason to think, how to survive, something our bloated bodies don't do nowadays because of modern life, a life that has robbed us of the survival thought process, our ancestors had to think this way otherwise our genes would not exist now, I love having to deal with this, sometimes its not about going mono e mono with a boss character, its about running and surviving to fight another day.

What was that qoute "He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious"

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

The problem with that kinda System is that if done wrong, it can make Leveling Up feel like 0 Power Gain, thus unworth the bother... or worse yet if done badly, make Leveling Up look like a broken gimp thing to do & be a something one is getting PUNISHED for. No one wants to get Punished for trying to improve oneself.

Hey... I like the sound of this idea... :D

I envision Bases being able to hold way stronger amounts of Hull, Shields, Weapons, & Infrastructure to support the base, especially more Ammo Boxes, thus making for the mightiest tankiness possible in the game due to the Base's total lack of need to support Thruster Use or give any way shape or form of damn about how much Weight it racks up, & in exchange it can't move at all & will have a Evasion Attribute Score of 0. CVs don't get to pull the Shenanigans Bases can cause Weight WILL matter for it & it has Thruster Power to support, but in exchange it can actually move & be mobile. The determining factor for which kinda 'Command Center' or general need will be determined by how important it is to hold one's ground in a spot & not die vs how important it is to be able to actually move around.

I love the thought of being able to be a big bad dude Warrior... but alas, it is indeed Truth in Television that us Humans will never be the penultimate pinnacle of Might & sometimes even Warriors have to think.

Supercrab and Furious Hellfire like this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

How will we get our mining HV from one planet to another?

5. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

Tyrax, i did not think of that! thanks!

6. Tyrax Lightning

No sweat. I knew to watch out for such things cause i've played games that have had such problems before. :)

Fortunately such things are not seen a lot. It is righteous that Leveling Up & the work that goes into it should hold Reward, by Right.

7. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

good point, I guess ruling CV's out of playfields is not on the agenda.

8. tehmashby

tehmashby Lieutenant

Npcs currently seem like a stop gap,
    For instance rocket and shotgun zivirax drop machine gun ammo, spider bites can extend meters with no indication and alien assasins seem to reach massively far out, and there's just not enough of them .

Wheres the wolves I can hear?

Heres a list of animal types I would like to see
    Feline, tigers / lions/ saber tooth cat type things
    Dogs/wolves/ coyotes
    Elephants ( I see their bones about)
    Zebra, deer, type things

And birds that you can kill, hawk, eagles, terradactils and such

And FISH
    Big fish
    Little fish

... cardboard box

As for the races, I would like to see each race found in the poi's expanded and given specific ships, techs, and building with extra npcs skins to staff them

9. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

Eh I'd rather see more non-earth native fauna, more alien otherworld creatures. Creatures not unique to Earth, it's boring and bland seeing something from Earth seeing as well... we've seen them on Earth. Now though if we had alien creature alternatives to what you suggested I'd be more amenable to it.

10. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

I dont know we have dinosaurs, and a mix of terrestrial and extra-terrestrial plants. makes me wonder of Akla was partially tarraformed by humans,

11. tehmashby

tehmashby Lieutenant

I meant an alien version obv, but I dont know their names and I didnt want to sound like a cross between Dr zuess and St Francis

12. Tyrax Lightning

I still firmly wanna keep Dino Dudes. Alien Scientists coulda grabbed samples off Earth long ago & propogated them around the Universe to study how adaptable & survivable they could be, which inadvertently saved them from Extinction at the hands of the Jurassic Meteor. I cry Rule of Cool!

13. Repier

Repier Commander

I'm pretty sure it has already been suggested but that would make a huge difference if mobs could use stairs.
    When you're chased by a lot of them in a POI, you can just go up some stairs, they will get stuck at the bottom waiting to get shot.
    On the same note, when many npc corpses overlap, it's kind of hard to loot them all properly. Would it be possible to decrease the corpses despawn timer once they're fully looted ? So after a short time, only the ones you haven't looted yet would show.

14. Tyrax Lightning

I've long since lost count of how many times in places like Abandoned Mines, i've had entire Battlegroups of Nightmares stuck on the bottm of 2 Staircase Blocks & I was able to simply stand on the top of the Stairs out of their Attack Range & Minigun them all down effortlessly with no damage, trying to score as many Headshots as I can to get bonus milage outta my Ammo... then had a bullshit hard time trying to get them all Looted & being paranoid on if I miss any of them & miss out on Loot.

I've long wondered why a Dead Enemy that's now been fully Looted to empty doesn't simply Despawn right away once the Inventory is Closed? Remember the time long ago when ya could kill a Monster on a Planet, like a Desert Golem, then encounter that same dead body RL WEEKS after that Monster Kill during later Planetary Excursion?

Repier likes this.
  15. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

yes i would Really like dose NPCs to be more intelligent, those talon gardians cannot even get out of there village! so i just have to stand in the door and shoot them.

Repier and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. Tampa_Gamer

Tampa_Gamer Lieutenant

Figured I would add my two cents on this thread, sorry for repeating it from another experimental post but here is my suggestion with respect to perhaps adding a bit more purpose to the AI drones and overall improve the PvE elements to provide a background war over resources on every planet (different variables could be controlled in the YAMLs to intensify or reduce the level of that background war). Conceptually, this is not any different than tribes/nations have done here on earth since the time early humans had enough intelligence to start gathering resources:

PROPOSED EXPANSION OF AI VESSEL/DRONE PURPOSE:

At a minimum why wouldn't the aliens be doing what the player is doing - gathering resources . To that end, I propose the AI vessels:

(1) [HAVE A % CHANCE OF INSTALLING THEIR OWN AUTO-MINER AT DEPOSITS EVERY X DAYS CONTROLLABLE IN THE YAML BY PLANET, BIOME, ETC.]. This would serve the purpose of promoting players to get out of their bases to set up their own mining operations and place small defenses down to protect them. If the AI vessels are hopefully expanded to attack player faction bases and auto-miners - this would effectively create PvE battles over resources where there are none now. This type of effect could be initiated once the first player enters a playfield and the resource pull of the alien auto-miners could be controlled by YAML to allow for slow or fast depletion depending on difficulty level desired.

(2) [IN ADDITION TO SPAWNING COMBAT DRONES, SPAWN RESOURCE RECOVERY DRONES] I recently read the sci-fi novel "We are Legion (We are BOB)" which made me think that in addition to combat drones, there is no reason why the aliens would not have construction/resource recovery drones. These could be unarmed and smaller than the combat drones (but operate in groups) and their AI would simply seek out the nearest player faction owned base/structure/auto-miner and attempt to dissemble it for resource recovery purposes. While not a high-level risk like an all out drone attack, it would represent a low-level risk of not providing for some defenses at your home/remote locations and also provide early game players a low-level nuisance to deal with without forcing them to defend against combat drones right away. Higher level bases would have sufficient defenses to easily defeat these drones.

There has to be some reason why we find ores/ingots in POIs, and IMHO this would simply add to the PvE elements and give players another reason to leave their bases (to claim resources) and not leave bases undefended while doing so.

17. Tyrax Lightning

This idea sounds full of win! :D

18. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

This sounds spectacular.

Additionally, I'd like to see the drones reduced to block creations in a fashion similar to seeing the incomplete drones in the Drone Base, something that would require a multitool to disassemble instead of just "Hey, here's free parts in this robot's pockets." Ammo types should be analagous to the weapons the drones are carrying (Cannon drones drop 30mm ammo, minigun drones drop minigun or at least 5.53 ammo, etc) and be placed in the ammo bin. This would mean that you'd be rewarded for preserving as much of the drone intact as possible- you should not be getting the same amount of loot for a drone you neatly cored with a sniper rifle as you would from a drone you indiscriminately blew to pieces with a load of homing missiles.

19. vxsote

vxsote Commander

Dead NPCs/creatures despawn too quickly. When raiding a POI, there can be a lot of Zirax and other mobs. Many of these have valuable things in inventory (canned food, medkits, raw meat). But when clearing a structure I don't necessarily want to stop to loot corpses every time I shoot something. Or sometimes there are so many of them it's just not practical. I'd like to be able to go back within some reasonable amount of time and do the looting.

20. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

This would be nice, except as near as I can tell (Because I haven't actually tried checking the code) it seems that the respawn on spawner mobs is tied to the despawn of the bodies.

Thundercraft and Tyrax Lightning like this.