NPCs (creatures and drones)

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer Staff Member

• Developer
    Thanks for your save game. You right: we have to fix the bug that the GV is hovering even without hover engine ;-)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Chief 117 and mcsproot like this.
  2. Xakthos

Xakthos Ensign

NPCs... they set this game apart in my mind. The first creature that charged me trying to kill me got my attention. I want some more organized attempts against my base and 'intelligent' opponents using weapons, not just wild animals, engaging me.

3. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

@Xakthos give it time, I'm sure lots more will be added in as time moves on.

4. Shadefang

Shadefang Ensign

2 things here. The way I see it, the issue with chain death isn't that they attack you too quickly, it's that you spawn where you die. Personally I think you should spawn randomly (but away from enemies) unless you've made a base to respawn at.
    Secondly, yes you should spawn with a drill, but the larger issue here is that you put all your eggs in one basket. If everything you have is on your person either you've just started, or you've not planned far enough ahead to be playing a survival game.

5. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

To be fair, I think we should be respawning at Medical Stations, or at least nearby them.

6. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

I died on Omicron to poison and respawned at the AI Core of my base. But it was also right next to my Medic Station, so who knows. I just assumed it was the AI Core.

I wasn't TOO far, but I had gone there with my SV, so I had to take my GV to get my SV back to base, then run back to my GV :S

7. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Yeah, but it gives you reason to put a medical bay on your CV, probably near the hangars. Which, honestly, is where I'd keep it instead of on a planet once the universe grows a bit.

8. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

That could screw you if you took your only SV to a planet then died with it on the ground with no parts on the CV to build another SV to go and get your first one. Even if you did you would then be stuck with 1 SV on the planet since you can't pilot two at once.

We'd need something like endless drop pods on a CV to retrieve lost ships or a teleporter from the ship to the surface. It wouldn't be that bad in MP with passenger seats, but in SP you need more options when you don't have faction mates.

9. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

It only screws you over if you don't think ahead. Which, really, is part of a survival game. And you can always use your drill to break apart the SV you don't plan on using and transport it back with you.

Shadefang likes this.
  10. imnebuddy

imnebuddy Lieutenant

I would like to be able to spawn specific NPCs in creative mode so I can test weapons and such.

I recommend programming NPC spawning to do this task:

NPCs spawn at a minimum radius away from the player. When I see NPCs spawn out of thin air, it looks unrealistic. Maybe they should spawn in certain areas that the player can't see behind. When they spawn, they move as the player gets closer, but they only attack if they are aggressive (of course). These NPCs remain existent until the player is very far away from them that his or her computer is having a noticeable hit on performance (a setting should be added for this, either in-game or in a settings file in the Empyrion Galactic Survival folder). There should be a maximum number of NPCs on a planet before some should start despawning (with the farthest NPCs being the highest priority).

11. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Otyugh (mouth with legs) has Godzilla roar when it dies. Or at least something very similar to it (couldn't hear properly due to shooting it with pulse rifle).

Unless the sound effect is openly available, I assume it is just placeholder. I'd hate for the developers to be hit by crazed copyright lawyers.

12. JayCo

JayCo Commander

The sounds come with the asset I think and am unsure if they can be changed without breaking the asset restrictions, I will look into it.

13. JayCo

JayCo Commander

The planets are being worked on, adjusting the NPC settings too much now is a waste of effort as the spawning rates related to planets and character position will change when the planets get changed.

14. JayCo

JayCo Commander

I have noticed that when I am near by base within the detection range of my character (300m) I respawn at the medbay, but outside of this area i respawn near my backpack. I wholey agree that repeated deaths from spawning in the middle of a group of enemies is really annoying, I recomended an adjustment to give our character a few seconds immunity on respawning, but this works both ways we wont be able to hit anything with weapons while we are immune, we will kind of be out of phase if you like so while we cannot be injured we also cannot injure anything either, gives us time to grab our pack and run away/get ready to defend ourselves again!

15. imnebuddy

imnebuddy Lieutenant

I understand. The suggestion I made was for an idea to implement later down the road.

16. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

I know we unanimously agreed that dinos had to go and it was the right call, but I'm finding the lack of large predators makes starting out a bit too easy. I like the new monsters though, wicked looking. Maybe we could see a variety of dangerous predators in some distinct categories.
    • Alpha Predators - Solo, Large Alien Predators, will attack ships and structures, if in combat with a player occupying one. .
    • Pack hunters - Medium size predators that hunt in packs could be very dangerous, attacking one might pull in predators from a large distance, has a 1% chance to draw the attention of a larger predator per medium predator being fought.
    • Small pack hunters - House cat sized, can be killed easily, but a pack of 10 can take down most players. Will not attack unless attacked first. Omnivorous pest, will eat player gatherable food if left unchecked.
    • Very Large Herbivores, will eat player gatherable food if left unchecked. Will attack ships and structures, if in combat with a player occupying one.
    • Medium and large Drones - Combo of non-flying ground drones and flying Drones.

17. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

I can't possibly be the only one finding the enemy turrets a wee bit overpowered in the newest release. I just spent 5 hours designing and building an SV, rockets and everything, only to have it one-shot out of the sky by a turret from a tower I couldn't see.

Anyone else feel like the turrets on the giant enemy towers need a bit of a nerf?

18. Zeuch

Zeuch Lieutenant

I like it the way it is now, now it requires skills to be able to enter the towers. Before I could just shoot em from a distans without them attacking me. Now I got to fly and dodge like crazy mofo. That is fun;)

19. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Well, you can still run up to them on foot and take them out with a drill in under a minute.

RobDog likes this.
  20. Captain_Brian

Captain_Brian Commander

Seems to be a bug, but right now all the NPCs just randomly spawn within range of the player. I've been standing around and caught sight of a handful of hostile NPCs that just warped into range of me out of thin air.

They should spawn much further away from the player and roam into view rather than spawning like that.

Also, I'd like to see a bit of an ecosystem like Ark: Survival Evolved, where NPCs have a pecking order and attack other NPCs when they get hungry.