Once again about space, and jetpack (automatic control)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bbk.3164, Jun 12, 2022.

1. bbk.3164

bbk.3164 Commander

Now we feel DISCOMFORT from the fact that in space - you always have to MANUALLY turn off the jetpack inside the base or ship :(
    very often I can't figure out where the jetpack disable button is, or I confuse this button with another button (!)

Therefore, the suggestion is simple - do the same as in the CREATIVE mode ==>> when we fly on a jetpack, but touch the foot of any block - then the jetpack is DISABLED, and the character already walks with his feet!
    It will be easy to walk around space bases (!!!)

And you can also make a SWITCH (condition):
    "If in space" jetpack is on,
    Then when you touch any block with your feet - turn off the jetpack"
    And when jumping = doing a "double jump" to reactivate the jetpack (!)

Because doing a "double jump" is very quick and easy than reaching for the "J" button to turn the jetpack back on (!)
    If the character repeatedly touches any block (ID structure) with his foot - then the cycle repeats = the jetpack is turned off again (!)
    BUT IF the character does a "double jump" AND presses the "J" button - then the jetpack turns on AND DOES NOT turn off, even if the character repeatedly touches the foot of any block (!)

Such "automation" will make it easier for players to move around space stations and bases !!! :)
    ------------------------------
    Yes-yeah - I will answer your question - "for this you have the "J" button....
    I repeat once again - not all players have a convenient way to quickly press this key in different situations !!!!
    The "J" button can be used ONLY AS A MANUAL TRIGGER (!) to either fly in space or walk where necessary, depending on the situation (!)
    But when I arrive at the space station == I DON'T WANT TO THINK that I need to turn off my jetpack !!!!!!!!!!
    I want the jetpack to AUTOMATICALLY DISABLE when my character touches the floor!!!!!!!!!!!
    And for my jetpack to AUTOMATICALLY ON when I do a "double jump"!!!

.... but if I need to explore the "Wreckage" - I can, if I don't want to - manually turn on the jetpack ... or not turn it on, and walk with my feet !!!!

I hope - I was able to explain - why it is necessary to expand (automate) the management of the jetpack ?! :)
    Thanks ,
    I hope this feature will have time to be integrated into patch 1.8?! :)
    Thanks again

djyn likes this.
  2. djyn

djyn Ensign

Great idea, I hope the developers will take into account!

3. Insopor

Insopor Commander

Problem with that is you'd need more conditions than just "touch the floor" for it to activate.
    How does the game define the "floor"? Because if you just touch a surface, that might mean you nick an edge and then jetpack turns off, artificial gravity takes over and flings you into another object before you can turn it back on. HP loss, broken legs, maybe dead.

But suppose you define "floor" as surface facing the opposite direction of nearby artificial gravity. Well what happens if you have a ship parked nearby that also has gravity on? What if that gravity goes the other way? What if it's a stronger force because there are overlapping gravity generators?
    I'm just saying, the potential for things to go wrong is pretty high.

I'd personally suggest that if anything like this were implemented, it become a third option instead of jetpack on/off. Because if I turn it on, I do not want it turning off automatically under any circumstances.

Also, you can rebind the jetpack to something other than J, something easier to hit. If it's a common thing you encounter due to your playstyle, you might want to tailor your keybinds to what you do. Shift + Z, maybe.

djyn likes this.
  4. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

I use a mouse thumb button, same one I use for autobrake. Makes it very easy to change movement modes both on foot and in vessels.

djyn likes this.
  5. bbk.3164

bbk.3164 Commander

Maybe it's easy ... but automation is still better :)