Planets and the solar system.

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by JayCo, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I disagree. There are other methods to make everyone happy, and your assumption that you have the 'only' solution only makes me distrust you and your arrogance all the more.

HeadHunter likes this.
  2. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

Getting back on track with the subject and away from personal bashing/flaming. I wonder if they're going to implement a time system with the orbit/day and night cycle. Every planet at least from what I've seen all have 24 hour periods. This isn't very accurate for planets, sure certain planets in the Goldilocks zone IMO Temperate planets would fit in with this, but you need to take into account the mass of the planet, distance from it's host star and orbit and rotation speed. Some planets should rotate slower or faster which would equal longer day night cycles or faster cycles.

Bender and Diszzle like this.
  3. Bender

Bender Commander

i think, long distance between planets is good idea, if CV has a warp power or something similar. And next my idea is, some resources couldnt be reachable without special drill devices. And this devices can you use only on HV

Diszzle likes this.
  4. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

well hopefully, eventually we'll get a vehicle mounted miner tool. Mining by hand can only get you so far and takes a good deal of time to do.

5. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

its also called conman sense , whats better then letting the host decide what kind of game play its going to be ? anything other than this is limiting the server to one or 2 kind of systems

you cant dismiss this as an opinion , Total control over game play features and what is allowed on a server and not will make everyone happy , who ever wants diff types of server can join there

life is feudal got the back last early on , they introduced a huge amount of server customization , from crafting times , to gather points , to cant remember what else but they were quite a bit of options , it made every one happy with that aspect and play as they wish

6. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Perhaps you should stop telling people what they can and cannot do. It really undermines your position of 'unlimited choice'. After all, it is your opinion, and not one I share. In a game that is solely about survival, I'm all for choice and tailoring the difficulty and experience. However, Empyrion isn't all about survival. It's also about exploration and will have a story to it. That requires proper pacing, and this is an indie team.

People seem to forget that three guys with limited time and money aren't going to be able to jam in infinite permutations of every feature.

I especially distrust conmen.

That's quite a claim. Care to back it up with evidence of 100% approval? Steam only shows 68% positive reviews...

Kaloriaa likes this.
  7. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

clearly then you misunderstood , and misunderstand game development , the options are already there , they just need to provide us with an on and off switch , its not about what i want at all , i actually know how it works . i am no stranger to it.

I was stating a solution not forcing anyone , you took it upon yourself to believe that

allot of indie games make small team excuses , these people do not , so why go ahead and attack my suggestion in the first place when it could be something they might consider , something that works for the best of us all , as i said the features will already be there , all we have to do is set those parameters via ticks an values for their respective mechanics while setting up a server ingame

Funny you talk about steam reviews , most negative comments date from back when the game provided no such option and the game play was "GRINDY" I own the game and i first hand know what they mean , it was impossible for a person to play it alone , it was a real medieval age simulator of a sort if that's what i can name it as . Then those options were introduced to make a game safer/dangrous lessgrindy/more grindy
    etc etc . See why they suffered that ? a part of the user game did not like the games single minded idea of slow pace development and slammed it in reviews . so why let this game be one dimensional when it can be much more ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  8. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

I feel as though you two are getting way off topic on the subject, can we please put aside the spiel and get back on topic? If you want to discuss this you might as well take this somewhere else.

HeadHunter likes this.
  9. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

nah that was my last post to the guy . im done

10. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I'm sure you are, as long as you feel you got the last word in.

I don't mind people having options, but I don't support the time it will take to test and interpret the data for what is a literally infinite source of variables.

I mean, yeah. Suggestion forum is great. Doesn't mean your suggestions can't be criticized.

11. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Commander

As I said before, Hardcore difficulty is already enabled. The user only needs to click one button to enable it (that being the Delete button for the save that got killed).

Eviscerator likes this.
  12. SmilingBandit77

SmilingBandit77 Ensign

Ideally(eventually), I think a Bianary/Trinary star system would be amazing. Each star with multiple planets and 2-3 gas giants with multiple moons orbiting each...

I think the current planet sizes and relative distances would be fine if they were moons orbiting a gas giant.

We could run some numbers and get a better idea for distances, orbital trajectories and masses... but I think a several light-seconds/few light-minutes (distance) between gas giant moons, several light-minutes (with a cruise control or auto pilot feature between planets... several light hours between furthest planets in same system... and maybe a couple light-days between the stars of the binary/trinay

with more advanced technology could cut the travel time down considerably... warp bubbles or whatnot...

13. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

after all its a sand box game with planned procedural galaxy , dont like big planets ? simple dont visit them

14. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Planets...wouldn't orbit different stars though. They'd orbit the barycenter of all the star's interacting gravity wells.

Definitely looking forward to orbiting planets and multiple star systems though.

15. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Well there are already asteroids, so we hope so. Nothing's confirmed yet though.

16. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Forgive me if I'm repeating an idea that's already been posted. I didn't have time to read through the entire thread.

I think there are several things to consider here. First, it would be much better to have planets/moons at bigger distances from each other. This presents the problem of "how do you get from here to there" because holding the W key for 15 minutes (or more like putting a stack of coins on the W key and going to do something else) would make the game unplayable.

Now, if you try to let ships go superduper fast it produces two new problems, one being trying to compute collisions etc at such ridiculous speeds, the other being it makes space combat impossible. (Anybody who doesn't want to be attacked can just zoom away and be impossible to hit.)

A different way to handle this is to allow SV and CV to have an in-system 'jump drive' (or warp or space fold, etc) with a range of say a billion miles, something so that a whole solar system could be reached within a couple jumps at most. To keep players from using this to easily avoid combat, the drive would be used by setting a destination on the star system map, and then the ship would have to come to a complete stop and stay stationary for say 20-30 seconds as the wormhole/fold/etc was being established. If the ship moves or is shot or anything the countdown has to start over. It could also require a decent amount of fuel for each jump to make interplanetary travel a little more of an important decision.

I would also hope that SV's are able to travel between planets within a star system. Otherwise it would be necessary for every planet to contain all the resources needed to make a CV, and then you couldn't make the more difficult-to-obtain resources spread out and hard to find. (I'm assuming the ability to dock SV in a CV and carry it along will also be added at some point.)

As far as planet types, I'd think gas giants themselves might not be as useful for resources but they could have a decent system of moons that could be mined.

Also, planets with rings like Saturn would be amazing. Especially if you could mine some of the moonlets in the rings.

17. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Well, from personal testing, I can tell you that the Plasma Cannon not only deforms into the ground, but if you fire into a resource deposit, the gathered resource will spawn on your vessel (and likely fall/go flying off a few meters). Simply a matter of landing, and running around to gather all the stuff.

18. Otterbear

Otterbear Commander

Reduced vegetation - at least the non-used types. IMHO there are WAY to many unused plants and rocks, not that it looks bad, it just distracts and confuses, and wares out your mouse, running all over trying to see if that scrub brush is usable or no.
    Also, it would be nice if some eaten or otherwise invalid fruits types, would disappear until they are grown again. Some do , but some you have to stand right next too before you can tell that its was a worthless trip. :(

19. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Man, are you gonna be sad when forests become a thing.

Otterbear and Slam Jones like this.
  20. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

LOL.

And it kinda ruins exploration when everything you see is an item of value/interest. It doesn't take long on a planet to figure out what's useful and what isn't.

Otterbear likes this.