Playfield rotator - powershell script

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Hawkie, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Some of you might have wanted as me, to rotate the playfield templates, to make more variety as you explore. So what i did was to make a small powershell script to switch my playfield template files in fixed intervals. This way i could have a set of 2-10 variations of the same planet type, and have it randomly change as planets are discovered. This will only affect un-discovered planets, and as soon as someone have entered the sector, they are fixed at the version at that point being used. Then the next un-discovered might have same planet type, but with all different settings. So you dont really know what to expect, even if it is for example a Barren planet, just as the last sector. So why not att a nightmare version into the rotation, and have really much fun.

Do not use my sample playfield files, as they contain references to blueprints you do not have. Read the readme before running it.

Have fun

Attached Files:

Kassonnade likes this.
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This sounds cool !

3. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

It works quite well for my servers. Doing a 5 minute map rotation in the starting days (ad many explore loads these days) and then on a 30 minute rotation later. It also means I can do adjustments and add or change as required as game goes on. Like now, I got comments from players that there was a bit to hard to find sathium, so i added another version where one of the moons was a "treasure" planet for sathium, and put it into rotation. Message then to the players was to go explore, and eventually they found it. It also meant it was easier to put into rotation some new POIs and make them appear "random" for the players.

Kassonnade likes this.
  4. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

Can this be configured so that when triggered by something changes the template of an existing playfield, and wipe it? Just curious

5. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Everything can be done, its just a matter of time and effort. However i would not trust a script to do such wipes, as you must first have a check for player structures, then do a db wipe of the playfield, remove playfield folder. So adding that capability would not be advisable without a tight integration with for example EAH