Pretty Planets???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Treeost, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Treeost

Treeost Ensign

We started on Cos a frozen world and made it to a point where we have made a CV and been able to explore. We have been looking for a nice planet with a lot of oceans and beaches that is relatively flat and breathable. Does that exist in the base game?

I love the Ocean world of Escape From Purgatory but wanted to try vanilla game to see differences but am getting very depressed being stuck on an ice planet. We have explored about 25 systems so far and seem to find mostly freezing or alien environments.

2. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

I do believe there are Ocean planets in the vanilla game. I could be wrong as I've been playing Eden lately and I'm old so my memory isn't what it used to be....lol. There are definitely Swamp planets that can be really pretty. They usually have lots of water and aren't as mountainous as the temperates.

I usually fly into a system and spend a couple minutes clicking on each planet and moon on the map and checking out the environment, resource and atmosphere information until I find the kind of planet I'm looking for.

Good luck on your search!

Germanicus and Bravesword like this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Are you playing the default multiplayer game ? Look in your last savegame folders, there should be a "galaxyconfig.ecf" in the "content" folder. You can modify it and reload it in game via the console - just type "galaxy" and it will enable the new settings.

You can drastically reduce the number of stars/ nebulas (less cluttering), and that should compress content into the fewer stars available. Here is a screenshot with the "default" galaxy settings :

NewGame_19_2020-09-05_10-45-55.png

This is my custom galaxy with much lower stars amount :

NewGame_20_2020-09-05_11-11-29.png

I left the galaxy radius as same (500 light-years) and also changed the number of stars spawning in faction territories. Some only have 1 and can't be reduced, but some others have hundreds, and I reduced by a factor of 3 or 4. This should help reducing the probability of encountering vast empty areas.

Here is another screenshot showing territories. This is a custom scenario, and I have set my starter system a bit far from the main factions, but in a random game the territory bubbles should be closer to your starter position:

NewGame_21_2020-09-05_11-30-51.png

You can see there are much less stars overall, so this should make searching for "content" a bit less tedious. If you are looking for an Ocean type planet, you have to check in the habitable zone of star systems you are exploring (far is for Ice planets, close is for Lava planets, middle is for temperate).

Here is my own modified galaxyconfig.ecf file, if you want to use it as a guide to see where I changed numbers. You can use Notepad++ (free) to open both files in the same window, and right-click on one file name on its tab when it's opened and choose "Move to other view" and you will be able to see both files side-by-side (your original and mine, for example) to compare them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's random. You just have to keep warping to new stars and checking the solar system map for each one until you find them.

But there are temperate, ocean, and swamp planets.

Also don't change the galaxyconfig.ecf in a save game that you care about, as it will corrupt the save game. Use it to preview changes, and then copy it to a custom scenario and start a new game once you have it where you want to be.
    You can change the solarsystemconfig.yaml files on the fly though, and they will apply to NEW stars visited, if you know how to edit the files.

Project Eden also changes what stars have what planets, which makes searching for habitable planets a little easier since you just have to look for G, F, and A class stars instead of it being random.

5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

So this note in the galaxyconfig file is not applicable ?

#===================================================
    # For previwng changes made in the galaxy without having to start a new game > load a savegame and edit its Galaxyconfig.ecf in the savegame/content folder.
    # Then you can reload the edits with the ingame console > cmd: 'galaxy'
    #===================================================

When this note mentions "reload the edits" this sounds like making changes in an already active game. What gets corrupted in the savegame ? Was this reported as a bug ?

6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The database gets corrupted.

https://empyriononline.com/threads/adding-extra-planets-stars-to-a-running-game.94136/:

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Custom scenarios are better to use, however, since your changes won't get overwritten by game updates.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

We can simply back-up our modded and original files. Some files are not overwritten by updates (like the config.ecf) and when the game updates it doesn't wash out all custom content. It depends on each patch content.

Actually I have more fun "working" on the game than playing it nowadays.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  10. Treeost

Treeost Ensign

Well I thank you for your responses and information as I am still learning what to modify and when and how. I like Purgatory, I like Eden except it appears everything else is Voxel and it is all SSoR. (Ravien_FF) answered my question on that on scenario page. Which I originally preferred until I learned to make the drill not be so weak and set it back to normal. ( I am not sure slowing down the game by modifying tools is my idea of fun) I really love the better AI of Reforged, but do not like the CPU change as once again same as Voxel and SSoR I really just want some consistency of base mechanics between scenarios. I like trading aspect of Eden a lot and Reforged removes that.

So basically I am having to kind of make my own custom scenario by scraping parts of each of the others. I changed drill mechanics of a reforged scenario. Added Trader file from Eden into it but am left with CPU changes. If I could figure how to make better AI changes to Purgatory or Eden I would be all over that but I have not figured that part out yet. I love the having to hunt and figure how to get resources in Eden, which Purgatory makes a little too easy for me. I also love the multi-planet starter systems of the scenarios versus singular planets in the default scenario.

I am having a lot of fun though slowly learning how to configure and make the game how I want to play and having only been with it a month or so am looking forward to one day having my "perfect for me" scenario and understanding the changes I made.

Kassonnade and ravien_ff like this.
  11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Welcome to the club ! :D

12. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

There are indeed Ocean planets, though their flatness is a factor of their generation, which is largely random and related to your seed value.

13. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

something like this?
    beach.jpg

Germanicus likes this.