Project Eden (WIP massive random scenario)

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by ravien_ff, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Yeah, isn't that a great start. So hard... and yeah, I noticed the sound effects too but I attribute their clever addition to Raviens genius as opposed to a frustration. I kept glancing up into the dark whenever I heard them.

I think I might need to try it again...

EternalHeathen and ravien_ff like this.
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

That description in mind... I can imagine how @Scoob was sitting in a complete Dark Room staring at the screen... listening... murmuring to himself :"What was that?"

cartoon-eyes-in-the-dark.png

Fractalite and ravien_ff like this.
  3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

It can be funny at night, as I'm sat in my office with the curtains closed but windows open (it's HOT in here) and, living in the countryside, there are lots of noises outside my window. From birds in the trees (they get disturbed at night sometimes) owls, foxes, someone's dog barking in the distance etc. plus there's the odd creek and clonk as this house cools down in the eve. I have tapped my mute button a number of times when I'm not quite sure where a sound game from lol.

Just spent ages digging a cave in a hill-side with the Survival Tool (argh! soo slow, mechanic drill please! lol) having taken out a small zirax POI. I was going to take it over, but it's exposed in a small basin area surrounded by cliffs - Drone etc. could approach out of LoS. So, I'm digging, digging, digging... Just crafted a Drill....I've cleared an area in about 20 seconds the same size as the area it took me 40 minutes to excavate with the Survival Tool - the Mechanical Drill REALLY has a place in the game you know.

Scoob.

4. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Captain

I'm thinking of restarting the ultra hard rogue with Reforged Galaxy after I've hit space. Getting my bearings right now since my first Alpha 12 playthrough was vanilla, just spawning in my fleet and testing things out.

Reforged Galaxy puts the mechanical drill back in too.

But, has anyone else tried the ultra hard start with Reforged Galaxy? Should I expect it to be... ULTRA SUPER PANTS PISSING hard?

Fractalite likes this.
  5. Talondale

Talondale Ensign

Got to the UCH Research Vessel but cannot seem to complete "Lead Researcher Approached" even though I stand right next to him, talk to him and accept a mission.

6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can try relogging or abandoning and retaking the mission.

7. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

I took the plunge last night. I did a lower one first want to work my way up. So started out on the advanced start on temp. I was just a tad bit upset I couldn't change the planet size to large. Spawned in the rickety shack of a base and OMG there was insect there! and not just a couple but everywhere! Oh and they don't like you being near them long. I was mining away in my tunnel I had made and before I could get turned around and swap to my gun. I was DEAD!

I wasn't even level 3 yet no shot gun. This was awesome! I was dead within 10 mins of game play. I felt the game was back to how it use to be when you landed and there was at least 6 insect around your starter base. Only now is was WAY more then 6.

If this is just a sample of what's ahead of me then fantastic! Vanilla just lost a player.
    All this without reforge! One wonders just how bad things can get. I watched that movie of Reforge! eek:eek:

Wellingtoon and Germanicus like this.
  8. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Captain

Oooooooooooooooooh this thing was cool! Saw it in the distance, cautiously approached, no idea what it is because I didn't have the resources to play with it, but boy is it pretty NewGame_10-200622-2128_2020-06-23_21-29-09.png

Fractalite, Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Oh that? It's nothing. You can safely ignore it. It won't do anything. Nor is it foreshadowing anything bad. Nope. Nothing to see here...

On a completely unrelated note, you're being watched... :D

Fractalite and EternalHeathen like this.
  10. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Any reply about this question?

11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Copy the scenario from the workshop folder into your main scenarios folder.
    Edit the playfield_dynamic files of the playfields.
    Under the section where it says:

Code:
    PlanetSize:
      SizeRange: [3,4,5]
      SizeProbs: [0.60,0.35,0.05]
    Change it to whatever you want for each playfield.
    Keep in mind: the SizeProbs MUST add up to 1.00, and how many of them MUST match how many sizes are listed in the SizeRange. Two sizeranges, means two sizeprobs. Four sizeranges means four sizeprobs.

If it causes a CoQ error then you made a mistake.

Germanicus likes this.
  12. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I get the error after I have done the copy and before I edit the scenario. The folder name is 1742662471. Do I have to rename it to something else? Example, is the name "Project Eden large planets" going to work?

UPD: The name should change indeed. I no longer get the CoQ. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Is the starting area and loot mostly fixed? I noticed Spanj collected the same loot I did almost exactly from the starting area - though I see he got a ration pack which I did not - and we both found all the same "secret" stashes of goodies. Once outside, I'd swear there were far more Zirax around the crash site - I spent some time before I dropped down picking as many off as I count. I used the PLayer Drone to lure the Drones within LoS so I could take them out too. As a bit of cheese, I did get the Plasma Drone to kill a load of Zirax for me. Sure, the Drone was aiming at me, but I was kiting one of the larger Zirax groups in using my Drone at the time...friendly fire :)

I'd also chosen to head East after leaving the crashed transport and encountered much of the same resistance Spanj did. I tried to engage - at as long a range possible - anything that looked like a threat along my path. Camped out at a wreck for a bit to catch my breath, and stow some looted stuff in a convenient cargo box - I encountered one of those Wooden dudes - before continuing East.

I think timing was on my side as I didn't suffer quite the cold Spanj did, as luck meant I left the ship during the day. It was "day" only in terms of being slightly less cold. This was good as it took me a lot longer to find my first Iron rock so I could get a heater and Constructor built. I then made a small camp and had the heater placed before it got really cold.

It's a really tense start this and I'm quite pleased how things went. I'm not normally so great at "twitch" reaction gameplay, but I think I'm better at it now than I was lol. It's been very interesting to see how another handles the same Scenario when there's a less RNG than a regular game start.

I'm fairly well established now, I have an underground base with heat and O2. I grow my own food and have a decent amount of basic resources. My only slight concern is fuel, running a Constructor really burns through it. I have my starting HV, now stripped down (no Constructor) so it's a little more nimble, it even has a Minigun Turret too. I've used it to venture out and find some more deposits, though the terrain is really challenging for it. I may build an SV next.

Talking terrain, I've noticed it does, at times, totally freak out hover physics. I.e. I'm going up a steep incline - HV has ample thrust - when suddenly it just "lets go" and falls backwards, like the thrusters have just turned off. I wonder if the game thinks I've caught some air and is cutting thrust? Regardless, it behaves like an HV that's caught a lot of air and you pull up, stalling the thrusters. A bit annoying to tumble down a hill like that.

I have experienced some vanilla weirdness though. Having an underground base is great, but it seems to confused the Drones that attack it. They'll sit there evidently aiming at my deeply buried Core and shoot up the terrain. Now I have some externally visible blocks too, they can do damage to those, but it's just Concrete and cheap to replace. However, as the Drones tend to hug the terrain a bit, their shots sometimes clip slightly, so I can be hit when I should be totally protected lol. Still the main part of my base is sufficiently buried that it's not been compromised yet.

Oh, interestingly, I've caught the Zirax using my old Tunnel to try to get to me. Picture this: I originally parked my HV and set up temporary camp on top of a large hill, overlooking a small Zirax POI. I then dug down and underneath said POI to pop up, blow the door and gain entry. Later, once I'd established my own base underneath that hill, I had Troop Transports land of top of it, and the Zirax followed my old tunnel to pop out at ground level. They did sorta get stuck trying to exit the hole, but I was impressed they made it that far. They also managed to shoot me through the terrain due to clipping issues lol. I filled up the tunnel at both ends.

Currently debating how best to defend my base. I built Sentries inside guarding any entrances - in my prior (vanilla) game the Zirax became total experts at path-finding to my base's entranecs - however, in this game they've not do so thus far. So, I tend to engage manually with a Pulse Rifle, while taking cover at the structures I've built around my entrances. Basically, my "front" entrance was just a cave, walking along it would see a Zirax greeted with four Sentries - they never ventured in to that particular cave entrance. Now I've built it out as a hangar for my HV, so they shoot up the blocks a bit, but they're not actually aiming at those blocks.

I also tunnelled straight up to take me to the top of the hill where my original camp was. I used elevator blocks - forgot about the new ladder block oops -then build a secure room just below the surface with Sentries. I then dug to the surface proper and constructed a little bunker. No external turrets at all, but a good place to take cover in and pop out to shoot any Drones and Zirax. Now I have more materials, I might fortify this with four Cannon Turrets.

I'm really liking this challenge. I could, if I wanted, build a Warp Capable SV now - pretty sure I have everything I need - but I want to stick around and really establish my presence. I'd like to hit a few POI's once I'm better equipped too. I've already explored a couple of "Cave" POI's, but they seem mainly good from topping up my food from the critters I encounter there. There have been some other interesting things in Caves, but no decent loot so far. Are all the "[Aln]" POI's Caves, or is it worth me continuing to check out any purple markers I see?

Oh, Zirax Troops are EVERYWHERE, not just in Zirax territory. I'm forever encountering groups of ZIrax in my travels, despite there only being relatively small pockets of Zirax territory so far.

Edit: Just to add, Spanj's video does demonstrate the Caveworm's (and other critters) tendancy to be able to hit you when you are well out of range quite clearly. It's like they take into account where you were not where you are them the animation completes. While I didn't die to this, as Spanj did, I burnt through more meds than I should have because of it. Again, a vanilla issue. Though I learnt to get very good at landing consistent head-shots from further away, even though the shot gun kills these guys fairly quickly when a little closer.

Hopefully get some time to continue this scenario later.

Scoob.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  14. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Captain

So, Maria Johnson, the blonde experimentee, can we get a way to save her or put her out of her misery? I've "saved" a lot of Terrans and some aliens in previous playthroughs (Multitool out, in my pocket you go). Adds a bit of roleplay to slowly build a crew that way. I haven't gotten back to check yet, but since I couldn't destroy a bed I'm assuming you used an admin core for that ship. Maybe a switch tied to explosive block to kill her quickly?

Germanicus likes this.
  15. Talondale

Talondale Ensign

Tried both after this minor update today and still can't get it to register and can't tick the box manually.

16. Talondale

Talondale Ensign

Now I get an internal error when warping to Object 82. Going to try restoring to an earlier save.

RAM: 16 GB ---- Initialize engine version: 2019.2.14f1 (49dd4e9fa428) Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Assembly-CSharp.NodeTree.View () [0x003da] in :0 at Assembly-CSharp.XmlFileEventArgs.JoinCondition (System.Collections.Generic.IList`1[T] ) [0x00057] in :0 at Assembly-CSharp.XmlFileEventArgs.SaveControl () [0x0020a] in :0 at Assembly-CSharp.XmlFileEventArgs.ExtractEmulator () [0x0017e] in :0 at Assembly-CSharp.BuilderSettingsToolboxSite.ExtractEmulator () at MBS.Update () [0x00008] in :0 NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Assembly-CSharp.NodeTree.View () [0x003da] in :0 at Assembly-CSharp.PartitionScope.GenerateTreeNode (Assembly-CSharp.ConnectionTree )

17. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Which UCH research ship was this?

A few people have reported this and I'll be doing some investigating this weekend.

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

A nice Idea how to gather a crew:)
    I usually buy them from the Local Slavers....errr....Traders;):D

19. Talondale

Talondale Ensign

UCHN Explorer Beta System, My starter planet is Uai.

ravien_ff and Fractalite like this.
  20. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I was able to do the second of the dead planets(Dread) with Reforged Galaxy, but the Rogue planets might not be doable. Reason:

Reforged galaxy ups the difficulty in a variety of ways. One of the key ways is upping the resource requirements. This is off-set by larger drops from rocks, trees, etc. The trick is, on the rogue planets the only way to get wood and thus carbon substrate is via the killing of the wood golems. I say try it out!

EternalHeathen likes this.