Requesting Hard Drive aid...

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Tyrax Lightning, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

If it isn't giving off a slight hum with your ear right next to it, or vibrating gently in your hand right after boot, then it's either not getting power, or is dead - the SATA port won't matter, since all spindle drives do a POST of their own regardless if they are pinged by BIOS or not. Some of them make barely audible clicks right after power on, where they check/reset head position by parking/unparking them.

So try what Brimstone suggested with a different power cable lead connected to the drive, maybe even the one your SSD was using.

It sounds like the drive is just dead, all other things equal.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I did not touch the Cables. SATA & Power Cable are plugged in as originally done. I ONLY listened for Inactivity & when I heard 0 Activity from it, this caused me to wonder if the Drive was dead & if messing with the Cables would even do anything or have any point if it already has no Activity anyway...

was listening in while computer had been run for awhile... never thought to try listening in as Computer booting up... plus didn't dare touch HDD as Computer running EVEN with a Electrostatic Wrist Strap on duty, thought that was a damn unsafe thing to do in multiple ways.

Listening in on it as I start booting computer sounds like an option & i'll try it when I can, & am open to trying different Power Plug for the Drive & see if that helps as well. Will report back when able.

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  3. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Troubleshooting Rule #1... "Does it have power?"
    Troubleshooting Rule #1a... "Can I give it power?"

Every other diagnostic tip comes after those ;)

Jᴧgᴧ and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  4. Tyrax Lightning

Objective met! With ear very close to HDD while Computer just booting up, I caught a faint sound of life from it... so next I remembered somehow that the next test scheduled was testing putting the HDD onto my SATA 1 Cable so I borrowed it from my SSD & went into BIOS, where it shows up! Returned SATA 1 to SSD & Re-seated HDD into Case & closed up. Electrostatic Wrist Strap MVP. Also borrowed Anti-Static Bag from Mom's ROM since it didn't need it anymore since her ROM is safely Installed into her New Build's Case. No filthy floor for MY Rig's stuff. :cool:

Now lookin like 4 possibilities here:
    1. I screwed up despite my paranoid caution during Installation & accidentally hurt the HDD's SATA Cable during Installation somehow... dammit...
    2. While being paranoid about my Graphics Card's safety, I accidentally hurt the SATA 3 Port on the Motherboard... dammit...
    3. The Motherboard had a previously unknown Factory Defect &/or Shipper Mishandling damage to the SATA 3 Port... crud...
    4. The SATA Cord I got & Installed for the HDD was an unlucky dud.
    5. Windows 10!!! You seriously won't let me switch my Drives to superior ACHI & to hell with the fact that I didn't know anything about such things at the time I built this Build!!? YOU JACKASS!!! :mad:
    Also my BIOS says it has a SATA 4 Port... I need to locate its Location on the Motherboard. Also have the horrible terrifying job of having to Unseat my Graphics Card, again... cause that SATA Cable can't stay plugged into the SATA 3 Port. Either it, or the SATA 3 Port might be bad so I assume i'll next have to plug that end into the SATA 4 Port & see if the BIOS sees the Drive. Either it will or the Cable is screwed... alas, tomorrow Dad'll be here as best as I know, so screwed into having my work delayed again... -_-

With this all said, i'm glad the HDD isn't Dead...

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  5. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Or maybe the GPU is dislodging the SATA plug if it's that tight. Can you get a right angle connector in there? It might have a slimmer profile

Tyrax Lightning and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  6. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Glad to hear you were able to get some life from it. Chances are good it's the Motherboard connector for that SATA port just being loose (possibly dead), or the SATA cable wasn't seated properly. There *are* different qualities of cables - some seat themselves very firmly when plugged in, some that are cheap don't. I've had cable issues in the past with RAID arrays, and usually opt for more expensive (and angled) cables now. The really good ones have nice click-connectors.

+1 for angled connectors - if that helps your motherboard Tyrax. Sometimes the big cards *do* dislodge nearby connections. If you can afford it, I'd buy good quality, possibly angled SATA cables for your case. There's nothing quite like having a cable be loose, and for whatever reason (like fan/case vibration over time) they slowly edge their way out, then while actively using the computer they suddenly dislodge and cause drive errors (seen it more than once). You think your drive died, when all it was is a loose cable.

Seems like you're on the right track now Tyrax. Now if we could just get @Hicks42 back up and running. :D

Tyrax Lightning and Hicks42 like this.
  7. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

*pops out of a bush next to @Jᴧgᴧ* Getting there. just waiting on my anti static pad and ssd

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. Tyrax Lightning

I made damn well sure my GPU couldn't interact with the Cable during Installation. Also have it Routed in a way to keep the two contact free.

With that said, since i'm already screwed into having to Unplug my GPU again next go during the next week anyway, I might as well check its tightness & find out if it mighta been a culprit. If it feels secure, i'll resume original plan.

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  9. Pyston

Pyston Captain

This has nothing to do with your problem, but I would highly suggest to anyone running a computer to purchase a decent "high end" power cable for your power supply, do not use the Chinese made cable that comes with it.

I had computer issues once, boss said it could be the power cable (I laughed) so I took an audio quest power cable off an amplifier and put it on my computer. Problem solved. We tore apart the factory power cable to the power supply (was an antec, I only use 1200 watt and up Seasonics now) and the advertised 14 awg on the power cable was a complete lie. With a gauge we measured the power cable and it came in at 22 awg. To give you an idea, phone cable is 22-24awg.

Remember this, and I am as dead serious as one can be. The most important NUMBER ONE component to any computer, to any electronic device is the power supply and by extension the power cable. Nothing in an electronic component can run properly if it does not get its power requirements. I would never run less than 14 awg from the wall to the computer. Also, battery backups are highly recommended because they stabilize the voltage.

Tyrax Lightning and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  10. Tyrax Lightning

I wish I could afford the strength of UPS needed for the needs of the likes of a Desktop PSU... :(

For the Topic: Had a hell of a week doin stuff while also having to prep for incoming arrival of fav Relatives. STILL trying to get around to the needed SATA Cable + SATA 3 & 4 Port testing... >_<

11. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Had a UPS on my Amazon wish list for ~6 months until the price came down under $100. Bought it for around 90, and it'll run my gaming rig (just on the Desktop) for almost 30 minutes. I use it so I can turn on write caching (in Primocache), and so I can get past power outages gracefully. For $90, it was -very- worth it.

Looking forward to hearing what you find with the port testing. Building a new rig for a client tonight/tomorrow, so get to get my hands dirty.

12. Tyrax Lightning

That UPS peaks my interest... is it brawny enough for a 650W PSU? & if yes, do ya have its exact Model Name so I can Research it? As of the time of this Post just had a damn 2+ hour Power Outage in middle of working on my Mom's Case Build after her Motherboard had FINALLY arrived from a 2nd Seller that is hopefully a hell of a lot more competent then the first one... also that same working on Mom's Build stopped me from being able to proceed on Diagnosis Work on my own Computer. >_<

Fav Relatives incoming so no hope of chance to work on it before next week... this is the kinda thing that's why it can be so hard for me to get to do things i'd like to do, like MP, Creative Build, & such... Fuck you too RL. :( (Though note I DO love these 2 Fav relatives mind ya, but the other 95% of RL Interruption that gets so in my way is NOT stuff I love... & my hard feelings was aimed at nearly all RL Interruption that gets my my way overall in general.)

I still have to pray Mom's new Build works right, partially cause dangers like Factory Defect & Shipper Mishandling are impossible to eliminate, partially cause I can be a damn clumsy butterfingers both Hand-Eye Coordination & Mental keeping track of stuff-wise, partially cause of my afore-mentioned being scared to buggers of this first ever attempt at putting Water Cooling for CPU to use & still praying it actually WORKS (Holy hell was it hard to finangle it in & out of the Case multiple times finding the best way to Orient it to Mount in addition to having a hell of a time trying to be careful with the Hoses & finally getting them in & in a stringing position for resting in the Build which was terrifyingly hard... & how much of their flexibility they're needing to use to hold their new resting position, I still worry about if it's pushing its luck a little... D: ), & partially cause it'll be awhile before I find out if her Build's ROM works cause I forgot to get a SATA Cable for it... good thing that's a low priority part of her Build cause she needs to run CDs only once in a long time, so i'm gonna procrastinate on rectifying that oops till I can determine if i'll also need to get myself a new SATA Cable as well so I can then know if i'll wanna hunt for a SATA Cable or a SATA Cable 2 pack. (HDD does have SATA Cable, the 2nd one from the 2-Pack I had gotten for me cause I aimed for a 2-Pack on purpose remembering to think of her Build's HDD inevitably needing one... feel like a Derp though forgetting the same need for the Rom...)

I dunno if I coulda even managed to keep my wits about me throughout the ordeal without help from my current fav Dungeonmans Music:
    http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=636Agl3B48o#Flash_of_Tinsteel
    The BGM's being full of Big Damn Heroes feeling made a hell of a difference for me...

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  13. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Yep, it's brawny enough for a 900W PSU (peak): I think my PSU is a 1KW, but never gets close to peaking (nominal is around ~250).

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK
    Forums aren't working well today - had to encapsulate in a Code tag for ya.

It's back up to regular pricing, but as I said it took me ~half a year for it to go on sale. You might even be able to get away with a slightly less powerful unit - it just wouldn't run as long after the power dropped is all. The 1000VA/600W might even meet your needs, since PSUs rarely if ever hit rated peak. When they do that, GPUs get disabled first, so you'd know if it was happening.

Dead-on-arrival (DOA) parts can suck - it's why I try to pick stuff up from a local Microcenter if the price is comparable. Otherwise as you say, you have to do the return-wait-wait thing on replacements. But the drive you have isn't dead, so you should be able to sort it one way or the other. :cool:

14. Tyrax Lightning

Objective met! Tested plugging HDD Cable into SATA 4 Port then tested in BIOS & BIOS still can't see it. Also Mom's Computer Build is coming along well & her SATA Cable (A sibling of the one for my HDD that came from the same 2 Pack) used for her HDD for her Build looks functional & her HDD shows up in her BIOS just fine... I have no choice but to conclude that the most probable possibility is that I tried like hell to be paranoidly careful Installing the Cable into my Build to hook up my HDD & still somehow fucked up at it & accidentally terminally harmed it. I think i'll have to get a new Cable & Install it with a different Strategy to what I did before, trying like hell to not harm the new Cable. Gonna try to get a 2 Pack again cause I forgot about Mom's Build's Rom needing a SATA Cable as well & it got caught without one available. Can deal with both Issues at once.

Here's to hoping my Issue is soon resolved. >_<

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  15. Tyrax Lightning

My apologies for the Double Post, but Dad kept coming home a fierce number of times in a row lately, & today was my first day since that I FINALLY got a chance to attack the Cable Change, & I took it & got it done... while I was at it, MY ARCEUS DAMNED PCI EXPRESS x16 3.0 SLOT'S DAMNED FLIPPY THING FOR LOCKING A SIDE OF THE CARD IN BROKE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

From now on my Graphics Card's safety is fragile... :'(

With that said, the new Cable worked & turned out the Port I stuck it in was the SATA 4 Port & it'll have to do cause it'll never again be safe to root around in my Case now that the Case has to be treated with extreme fragility with my Graphics Card's Seating being permanently fragile. :(

The new Drive is showing up in my BIOS now, which is where I noted it showing up on the SATA 4 Port, but it's not showing up alongside my C Drive, my SSD in Windows... how do I rectify this, if I can?

16. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Nice to hear it's in BIOS now. :D

In Windows, right-click My Computer, Manage, click Disk Management, look for it in there. It may not have a partition on it, in which case Windows may ask you to initialize it. If it's asking about the correct drive (double check first), go ahead and initialize it. Then you can make a partition on it, and format it, and it'll show up in your drive list in Explorer.

As for the graphics card, don't fiddle with the cable on the back unless your other hand has a hold of the card itself. In that case, it's safe.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  17. Tyrax Lightning

Dammit. Where the hell is "My Computer" In W10's Arceus Damned Interface...? -_- *Glares evilly at W10's Bullshit Interface*

I can't get to the SATA 3 or 4 Port while my Graphics Card is still plugged in cause the Card sits right over those 2 Ports, so every one of these times i've had to unplug the Card from the Slot while that flippy thing was in a hard-to-reach place... so every time I was fiddling with the Cable & the SATA 3 & 4 Ports, the Card was outright out of the way. Over the entirety of this Thread i've unseated & reseated the Card 4+ times, today included. That damn Flippy Thing never shoulda broke so easy! :mad:

I expect better even if this Motherboard was only 50ish bucks when I got it...

18. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Ohhh, Win 10. I always install "Classic Start Menu" so that it emulates W7's interface. Let me get you an easier way in there...

"Use WindowsKey+R to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box and tap OK"

And yeah - that's right around my comment the other day about buying quality motherboards. Sorry it's a pain for ya dude. :)

19. Tyrax Lightning

OMFG!!! I can use the W7 Interface on W10!!? Would this also keep the GameDVR & Cortana Reminders? How do I activate this Computer Sorcery!!? :eek:

Got to Disk Management this way & Initialized the Disk... but can't seem to figure out how to get it to Partition... did I screw up Initializing it then in the next screen choosing the "MBR" option?

Next Build i'm gonna increase Motherboard Priority Level from "Dump Stat" to "Tertiary"... maybe even "Secondary". For reference, "Secondary" is = to priority level I gave my CPU & RAM power. :/ (CPU power Priority Level is gonna get Upgraded from "Secondary" to somewhere between "Secondary" & "Main Stat". For reference, "Main Stat" was the priority level of my Build's Graphics Card Powers.)

20. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

The Classic Start Menu (and other classic changes) are part of a freeware package at www.classicshell.net Been using them ever since 8.x was released with that crappy UI. ;) And yeah, you can still use Cortana if you want. I usually turn her off, but that's just preference.

If you initialized the drive, it should be grey-ish in the list. You can right-click it on the left side and create a partition in it, give it a name, and format it all in the same popup interface.