Requesting Hard Drive aid...

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Tyrax Lightning, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I use Cortana mainly for her Reminders... especially to never forget to bed my Chickens in the evening... their lives are on the line on that. (My Home's area has loads of Coons...) GameDVR is a W10 Integrated Game Recorder. Those are the only two parts of W10 I like. Being able to keep those & have the rest of the Interface be W7 Glory again will be an Arceus Send. I've Bookmarked for Research then eventual Implementation. Many thanks! ^_^

Tried that, got result in this Screenie. Have no clue what it means:

Disk Formatting attempt Screenie1.png

2. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Okay, right-click in the white are to the right (left was me typing too fast and not thinking) and see if it will let you create a partition. Drive space with a black top border is empty. You create a partition (volume), then format it. :)

[​IMG]

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Tyrax Lightning

Ok, tried "New Simple Volume" & went through it hoping I was picking good options, & it says it's Formatting... looks like it'll be awhile... then guess we'll find out if the 2nd Hard Drive will finally be able to pull weight at last... years stupidly late. Fuck you too RL. >_< (After finding out about the problem after Build Completion I wanted to get it rectified within a week from then... RL never let me...)

Many thanks for all this aid... ^_^

4. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

It's all good experience. Do something new, learn something new. :D Quick formats take a few seconds, full formats on 1TB take a bit longer. But if it's formatting, you're golden.

5. Tyrax Lightning

I ticked "Quick Format" off. I believe in done right, not fast. I also don't believe in Anti-Virus Quick Scans either. ;)

If I have to I can leave the Computer on overnight... i've done it before, like when Uploading Vids to YouTube. :)

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  6. Tyrax Lightning

Objective met! Drive is Formatted & Renamed! Now, I wanna move my OS based My Documents & My Pictures Folders to here without the OS beig retarded & never putting stuff I wanna put in these 2 Folders in the wrong place at the wrong time... aka 'File Path Errors'... how do I do this? & also anything else I can stick onto this HDD that isn't really particularly worth a SSD's attention thus further freeing up SSD Space for REAL work, like holding more of my Steam Games? :D

Thank you all so much for all this valuable aid! ^_^

P.S. My apologies for the Double Post.

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  7. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

It's pretty easy actually. If you open file explorer to start browsing files, get to where you can see all of your user folders (Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, etc etc..). Right-click on one that you want to move (like Downloads), select "Properties" in the menu. Then when the properties for the folder open, look for the "Location" tab, and click it. You'll see this:

[​IMG]

See how my Downloads folder is now on the E: drive? I moved it using the "Move..." button, then telling Windows where I wanted to move it to. Try it first with a folder you have nothing in (like Contacts) just to get a feel for how to move it.

Just a tip - go create a "Users\youraccountname\" folder on the drive before trying to move a data folder inside of it. Makes it easier overall. Your account name will be the same name it has on the c:\Users\.. subfolder.

8. Tyrax Lightning

Try it with something disposable that I won't miss in case of File Transfer equivalent of Star Trek style "Transporter Accident"... check. *Looks around for something disposable & looks at Microsoft OneDrive Folder i'm not using anyway...* "Perfect." :p *Attempts the maneuver* Well crud, the OneDrive Properties Window has no "Location" Tab... Window also looks different then your example. :/

Have the new "Users" Folder in HDD followed by inside of it making a new "(Account Name)" Folder done at least.

Lookin like none of these Files inside my Account Name Folder have the "Location" Tab in its Properties, & all of them are set Read Only. I suppose simply Copy Pasting won't work, huh? :/ *Glares at Microsoft* :mad:

9. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

You're probably not in the right place, let me find a shortcut to get you there...

Hit "WindowsKey+R" to open up the Run interface. Type in %USERPROFILE% then hit enter. That should open up your main user folder with proper icons for all of them. If you still aren't getting the Location tab when viewing properties, you -might- not be logged in as an Administrator.

10. Tyrax Lightning

No go, same thing happening. Where's the damn Administrator Log In? When i'm trying to do something sometimes asks me if I wanna do it as an Administrator so I can say "Yes, dammit." but I dunno where in the Arceus Damned Interface it's at when needing to do it first & foremost.

11. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Well, you can check your account access by going to the Windows Settings area (should be in your Start menu as a small gear icon), then to Accounts. The one you are logged in with will display, and up at the top should say your account name, email (if logged in online), and it's access rights (mine says 'Administrator'). Telling Windows to access as an admin when it asks, is irrespective of your account rights.

Try a different folder just to see if the location tab shows up - some of those folders *can't* be moved. Documents can, Pictures can, Downloads can, etc. Not sure if OneDrive can (I always uninstall that).

12. Tyrax Lightning

Settings - Account Info said I was an Administrator.

I tried Right Clicking stuff like Documents from the "This PC" Tab instead of from my C Drive & those have a Location Tab. Good thing that makes sense considering one would think they'd be the same thing. :p

Also I haven't decided if I even have a use for OneDrive... still on the fence on if i'll Delete it or not.

Edit: Starting with the "This PC" My Documents Folder... wow, even that's lookin like it's gonna free up a good few GBs... after I move enough of these Folders I might gain enough SSD Room for a few more Games... as I hoped! :D

Edit 2: Hmm... Transfer complete... now when I look in My Documents under "This PC", the stuff looks still there, & when I look under My Documents on my HDD, it looks like a copy of the stuff there.

I tried Test Deleting something I noticed I still had & didn't actually need anymore from SSD My Documents then noticed the same under This PC My Documents & Deleted that then looked under HDD My Documents & did not notice the same File... so i'm unsure if the My Documents from This PC is answering to the My Documents from the SSD Version or the HDD Version... have I just made Duplicate My Documents Copy Paste style instead of my intended Cut Paste style?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Right - the files move to the new location, and a symbolic link (symlink) is made where the original folder was (for legacy programs). The files actually moved if you can see them in the new location. :)

A way to check is to double-click the folder in the original location, then when it displays the files check the current folder/path that should be displayed above. It will no longer say C:... but should instead show your new drive/path. I understand why they did symlinks, but it can be confusing if you aren't used to them and how Windows moves user folders around.

When you do it on a much larger folder, just note the C: drive free space before and after. It will increase when the files move.

14. Tyrax Lightning

When I click on My Documents from This PC, it says just "This PC - My Documents."... :confused:

When I click C Drive - Users - (Account Name) - Documents, I see stuff there still, but not all of it. When I click F Drive (My HDD. It wanted to assign it Letter F by default & I had no preference what Letter it used so I left it.) - Users - Documents... hey wait a minute... the (Account Name) Folder I made here somehow got Overwritten by the Transfer... it's not inside the made Users Folder anymore... is that a problem...?

15. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

To see the path, left-click in the address bar where it has "This PC - My Documents". It will change to a proper Windows path.

And having the folder "land" in the right user folder is why I said it might help to test with a small or empty folder from your C: drive before moving the big ones.

It's hard to see what you're seeing, without -seeing- it. ;)

Let me get you a link for a proper guide on how to move those folders, so you have a step-by-step for the whole process.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74949-move-location-downloads-folder-windows-10-a.html

You can always use the same procedure to move them back to their original location(s).

16. Tyrax Lightning

My apologies for the Necro, but my New Build that'll replace the Build this Thread was made for in the first place is now Hardware Complete! Now time to plan damn carefully how to get it up & running on the software end better then before... starting with the Drives... is AHCI still better then Raid? I have 4 SSDs of 2TB strength plugged into SATA 3 Ports.

Also might try to carefully dare OCing for the first time... might flat out HAVE to in regards to the RAM...

17. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

AHCI is newer tech then Raid, BUT it is different technologies. Raid is better for failsafe work where you dont want to loose critical info or down time, but it uses 2 hard drives in parallel, so you need 2x2TB to have 2 TB space.

AHCI is better for SSD's but depending on what SSD"s you have (NVME?) sata3 will limit their capabilities.

18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

My Drives are all set up as AHCI with RAID in the BIOS. I have two pairs of drives, the first are fairly new SATA SSD's in RAID0 - aka stripped - and offer a potential peek speed (read/write) boost. If you lose one of the drives (careless lol) your data is lost. I also have a pair of Spinners in RAID1 - aka Mirrored - so I see one drive in the OS (in effect) yet data is written to both. If one drive fails, I can replace it and the data will be copied (Sync'd) to the new drive.

Using RAID0 with older SATA SSD's is pretty good as it's a healthy speed boost. They still won't be close to a good NVMe Drive though - especially the new PCIe 4.0 ones.

I'm actually considering building a system around the AMD 3950X when it drops...if I like what I see. My ancient (8 years?) 2600k is still doing the business though, so I don't need to upgrade from a capabilities perspective, just from a nerd perspective as it's been a while :)

Scoob.

SilvRav likes this.
  19. Tyrax Lightning

What in the halibut is "NVME"...? I knew I was gonna wanna recheck this stuff out with ya badasses again... :eek:

I got one of the 2TB equivalent of this one before it disappeared never to be seen again: Mushkin Enhanced Reactor

& 3 of this one, again 2TB Version: Mushkin Enhanced Source This one came out after I got the one 2TB version of the above & ended up being even stronger anyway which got me figuring the above 2TB Version one musta disappeared cause it got outmoded... I decided i'd recycle the above one's use for performing the equivalent job of this build's HDD & changed my mind about transferring the HDD to the New Build. (No point now...)

So... i'm hoping that I can use either Raid or AHCI instead of the old build's inferior "New IDE" so i'm trying to plan this damn carefully & get it set up on the New Build before I ever even THINK of starting to OS Install. I'm hoping I can then later Install the OS onto the 1st of the 3 Greater SSDs & have all 3 Greater Drives able to work together to hold a hell of a lot more Steam Games then the Old Build could.

... actually, maybe it'd help if ya'all saw the whole Plan...: (Or at least the big important parts of it...)

Case: Thermaltake Versa N25 Dragon Scale SPCC ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case CA-1G2-00M1WN-00 While building Mom's Computer, accidentally got 2 of these by mistake through coordination fail with Mom, & decided I kinda liked it so instead of shipping the spare back, I kept it for use for the New Build when it eventually came to happen, which, now's the time. :D

Motherboard: (I forget if I got this one off Amazon or NewEgg anymore, so linking both just in case...) ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor I'm hoping to manage to OC a CPU for the first time & praying to Arceus it doesn't go horribly wrong, with aid from...

CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, White Led Pump, Robust Sleeved FEP Tubing, Dual 120mm Air Balance MF, Dual Chamber Technology HOLY ARCEUS!!! This dude wasn't an insane $900 when I got it... was at the time between $200ish & $300ish... I'm damn lucky I got it before the Price Hike... :eek: Anyway, this is my first use of Liquid Cooling in a Build... now that i've seen it work smoothly well in Mom's Build, that got to guinea pig it first. :p

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon VII DirectX 12 21291-01-40G 16GB 4096-Bit HBM2 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card Will be my new dear sweet baby, or as they'd say in Pern, "Dear Heart". ^_^ Was a close call, but fits in the above Case. (If ya'all haven't read the Dragonriders of Pern series of Books yet, seriously give it a consider!)

RAM: HyperX FURY 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) Desktop Memory Model HX434C19FW/16 Another part of the New Build that makes me nervous... for if i'm reading the Spec Info right, these will REQUIRE OC to run on the Motherboard above... the greed is real...

PSU: PC Power & Cooling FireStorm Gaming Series 1050 Watt 80+ Gold Fully-Modular Active PFC Performance Grade ATX PC Power Supply (FPS1050-A4M00) Packs a sweet sweet 87.5A on that all damn important +12V Rail... ^_^ (Though it's annoying that NewEgg isn't doing its usual not bad job on providing Spec Info on this particular item & forces ya to look it up on the Manufacturer's Site... :/ )

Speakers: (My current Monitor does not have Integrated ones...) Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System - THX, Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Certified The current Build can only run it at partial power with 2 of the Speakers on duty... the New Build will be able to connect to the Speakers with Optical S/PDIF & unleash all 5! :cool:

UPS: CyberPower PR1500LCDRTXL2UN Smart App Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1500W, 8 Outlets, AVR, 2U Rack/Tower + Pre-Installed SNMP Card Funnily enough, this dude was a surprise find by Mom who thus ended up saving me gobs of work... :D

Seeking guidance on how best to proceed... I wish some of the awesome peeps that helped me in this Thread before were still with us.

SilvRav likes this.
  20. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of the Pern books, and Anne McAffrey's other works. Read "White Dragon" first as a teenager, then caught up on all that'd been published before...and since :)

Not in a position for fully check your post at the moment, but will hopefully get a chance to dissect it in detail later and check out all the links. Still not built a new PC for myself, 2600k has proven an amazing CPU for it's longevity.

Scoob.