Resources

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

I love realism in survival games. But not "too" realistic. As that's not fun, of course. Dying by taking 1 small pistol shot to the head and your character being dead forever (like Hardcare mode on Minecraft) is not most people's definition of fun.

blooddragon606 likes this.
  2. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

If we're talking realism, then any wound you take should also drain your oxygen. Seeing as anything would have to go through your suit to damage your flesh. But, as you said, there's a time and a place for strict realism. Empyrion isn't it. Not when we can carry...erm..

Does the character HAVE an inventory limit?

3. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

Not yet, but they are going to implement a weight system

4. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

It wouldn't be so bad if the reload didn't take 15 minutes.....

5. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

LOL, gettin eaten while trying to re-load !
    A true Empyrion moment !

I believe the game would advantage from having the limited recourses it has now on planets, but in space it should be abundant and huge deposits, to allow for the creation of large vessels in space, that dont take 4 months of mining to build.

6. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

After a lot of thought about game mechanics I've experienced, I've come to the realization that resources are something you should have to put work into to locate. SWG had scanners for different types of material that required you to walk around to get decent hauls. Entropia Universe had a scanner item that required charges and surveyed a small area. If Empyrion had a similar mechanic, the amount of resource spawns could be increased dramatically while staying balanced by having the player have to walk around to survey until advanced resources could be located to make a ship based scanner.

By that point you are looking at needing hundreds of blocks to make a CV and should be able to find abundant resources. Granted its a moot point if procedurally generated worlds/roids/ etc. are in the works.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  7. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Just some thoughts of mine.

Perhaps later on we could have a capital ship mounted resource scanner, maybe with different ranks require more/rarer resources to build the better ones.

For example, the basic model would tell us what ores are on the planet. Next level would tell us how many there are. Final level would give an approximate area of ore samples, such as a circle on the map and the ore is located somewhere in that circle.

Also, it seems to me that small vessels are currently all around superior to ground vehicles. Yes, GVs are more power efficient, but they can only go half the speed and are much less combat capable. Perhaps one addition could be a deep vein scanner that can be attached only to a ground vehicle, which would detect ore samples deep underground that we wouldn't be able to find otherwise (unless we went digging).

8. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

I feel that the extraction rate for magnesium needs to be increased. You refine 5 mag ore and you get 5 dust back I think it should be doubled. You refine 5 ore of any other type and you get 10 back, it should be the same for magnesium.

Eviscerator likes this.
  9. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

I haven't found that I use that much Mg in the first place as recipes tend to take way more other ore per item than things that use Mg.

10. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

most ammo, and pretty much all medical items require Mg when crafting them. Also a lot of the more advanced ammo, like the 15mm, 30mm, and rocket ammo require more mg than the other material need for them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  11. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

It doesn't make much sense to have Cobalt spawning at all. Its primary use was for older lower gauss magnets used in large clunky motors. Since the game already spawns the replacement (Neodymium), Cobalt should be dropped in favor of something else. Carbon maybe? Since it is needed in steel and in organics.

Eviscerator likes this.
  12. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I'd like to see cobalt replaced with tungsten, myself. It'd be useful in both ammo, construction, and devices.

13. Ambush In The Night

Ambush In The Night Lieutenant

It seems a bit unequable.
    Sometime I have to mine on a large area for a few resources. Maybe some resources glitch under the map(?)

The effect of ground deformation is a few odd (with left click), as if the terrain was soft. I don't really feel the hardness of stone, it's a strange sensation.
    I don't know what other players think about that :)

14. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

That was my #2 choice. I'd actually like to see around 25 or so ore types, then the number of spawns could be increased without unbalancing the game as each resource would be more rare.

15. JayCo

JayCo Commander

Well give us some more ideas about what ores you want to see?? Saying about 25 doesn't help much really, and examples or uses too please to justify them.
    Cheers

Edited: Appologise for my grammer, I have not had to be so careful about my writing in a long time. But I will try to be more professional in my future entries.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Are so many exclamation points necessary as a Mod? Lil more professionalism if you're gonna represent Eleon Game Studios. Your actions and speech reflect upon them now.

1. Tungsten
    For use in advanced machine tools, mid-tier armors, and advanced ammunition with armor-negating properties.​
    2. Carbon/coal/diamonds
    To aid in the process of steel making, to be processed in carbon fiber at low tiers, artificial diamond at middle tech tiers, and nanotubes and fullerene at higher tech. Also potentially for processing into explosives or food. The rarer natural diamond form of carbon would primarily be found on volcanic worlds, and coal would only be found on worlds that currently or formerly held life.​
    3.Uranium
    For use in reactors, a low-tier generator that has longer-lasting generating capacity and requires less babysitting. Also nukes. When depleted, used in ammo manufacture for armorpiercing and incendiary effects.​
    4.Aluminum
    Lightweight, resistant to corrosive atmospheres and seas, blocks made with it as the primary material aren't that well armored. Also useful in chemical rocket fuels and incendiary chemicals.​
    5.Titanium
    A light, strong, and exceedingly durable mineral, almost never found in high concentrations. Useful for almost every part of a space vehicle, as well as suit armor upgrades.​
    6. Sulfur
    Found primarily on volcanic planets, useful in chemical synthesis and in mass production of chemical energy projectiles.​
    7.Tin
    Alloys with copper to make bronze, which is in turn used primarily to make springs and components for waterborne vehicles. (Why not use a GV? Simple. Boats don't sink when you turn them off to save power, making them even more efficient on water worlds.)​
    8.Beryllium
    9.Iridium
    Incredible hard metal found primarily in asteroids belts and fallen meteorites. The applications for superior armor, tools, and armor-piercing weapons are manifold. It's also rather attractive and can be used for decorative blocks if you wish to flaunt your wealth.​
    10.Antimatter
    While not a mineral, this harvestable resources is found only in minute quantities in orbit around planets with strong magnetic fields. Generally used only for the most powerful weapons and to power capital ship engines, harvesting is more economical than manufacture if you're only using it for missiles and explosives. (Probably not endgame, but could be useful for powering FTL?)​
    11. Oil/Hydrocarbons
    While easy clean energy has reduced oil's use as a fuel, it's still a key source of relatively easy to manufacture plastics. Primarily found on life-bearing worlds, or dead worlds that once held life, it can also be found in pools on planets with methane atmospheres. Very rarely found in asteroid belts. (Under the assumption that some belts were originally planets that may have evolved life before being destroyed.)

Well, there's 11. It's July 4th and I don't know that I have time to type up the whole 25, but I'll take a crack at it later if no one else can come up with 14 or more minerals or resources.

17. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Heh, I was going to post the Periodic Table of Elements and a wiki link to what the elements are used most often in. ;)

Also Boats! Cool idea!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  18. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Definitely could use some optimization there. Trying to make a nice 90 inset in a hill for a base without bumpy edges is impossible. The fill tool helps, but it would be nice if we could choose the fill texture (not resources).
    Also digging areas underwater is glitchy. The game needs a flood/fill process for water areas. It would be nice to dig an Irrigation ditch, or make part of a base underwater and look at the currently non-existant alien fish and sea monsters from a porthole. The water doesn't have to be volumetric, but it would be cool if the water was drained by the O2 gen and water purifier over time and maybe re-filled by the weather cycle. It would make base locations more important.

19. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

The models for sugar cane and grass are too similar, I'd make the Cane plant much taller.

20. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Sugar cane only grows in the wet sand near water, fiber grass grows in the dry sands.