Save Game Compatibility Post-Alpha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clivos, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Do you have any experience developing a video game or selling products in a digital marketplace like Steam ?

If not, what is your expertise in making such predictions ?

2. Clivos

Clivos Ensign

Oooo, you alpha-male, you! Go get em, tiger, grrr!

Kassonnade and Bigtoad like this.
  3. Clivos

Clivos Ensign

No, I have no experience in that arena.

I suspect that you are one of this game's devs or at least associated with them somehow.
    I am your customer. I am telling you what I do not like about your game. I am giving you free advice about how to make more money, promoting your game. That is all.

I want to play your game ffs! Promote it to my friends, social media contacts etc.

Germanicus and Kassonnade like this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I'm just a player like you.

But you wrote that you would not reply anymore, and I did not believe you.

Gotcha ! :p

5. Clivos

Clivos Ensign

Fair play, you got me :rolleyes:

Germanicus and Kassonnade like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Save games will very likely remain compatible going forward.
    I'm just wondering under what system you expect them to be able to guarantee it? That opens up a can of worms they'd probably rather avoid and does nothing for anyone anyway.

Bigtoad likes this.
  7. Clivos

Clivos Ensign

Re: "I'm just wondering under what system you expect them to be able to guarantee it? ...
    Erm, just the system that the vast majority of game developers have followed for decades. So, I don't believe I'm asking for much!
    You can update a game AND maintain save-game compatibility!!!

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Maybe, sometimes, but it really depends on the game and how active development still is. Something like say, Skyrim, which receives no updates, sure.
    Something like Empyrion? Maybe, but it's probably just not something they can realistically guarantee.

Like, even if they say it, that doesn't make it so. They can say that they have no plans for save game breaking updates, but we're unlikely to get them to say they guarantee it. How would that even work, if they do break the save game? It's not like you can hold them legally liable or anything.

It's just such a weird and absurd request, no, demand, and one that you knew you wouldn't get answered with a "yes, there will never, ever, ever be an update that causes even the slightest need for a new save game in the entire future of Empyrion ever again."
    Like, no, you won't get that and it would be completely irresponsible for the developers to even try to promise that. You will always have to start a new game if you want some of the new content. Always.

Spoon, RazzleWin and Kassonnade like this.
  9. Clivos

Clivos Ensign

1. . "They can say that they have no plans for save game breaking updates, but we're unlikely to get them to say they guarantee it. How would that even work, if they do break the save game? It's not like you can hold them legally liable or anything."
    FINE. I will not play the game. I will not recommend it to friends etc. I will give the game negative reviews EVERYWHERE because of this.

2. "You will always have to start a new game if you want some of the new content. Always."
    Complete and UTTER nonsense!!!!!!!!

10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Oh NOOO ! Please... don't do this ! Pleaaaase ! :eek:

On the other hand, if you're happy with that and it closes the topic... :cool:

Spoon likes this.
  11. Clivos

Clivos Ensign

Everyone is unique. I am not prepared to play a game that doesn't guarantee backwards save-game compatibility once it is released.
    Such a shame! I SO wanted this game to be a success that I enjoyed too. Oh, well.

Nothing from the devs on this thread, so I assume, early access continues, your save games will break every major update. If that is your bag, enjoy, but it is not mine and I suspect it will be the same for the new purchasers too.

Please close this topic. :(

Kassonnade likes this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

As soon as they pushed the v1.0 out, they all rushed away for "summer break"... they wrote it in the release notes page.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Galactic Survivalists!

Today is the day: we are leaving Early Access, starting into the post-Alpha development phase.

This means:
    1. We have removed the Alpha-tag from the build number, as this term was tied to the Early Access phase.
    2. The version will now read 1.x instead of 13.x or 14.x etc. This had to happen as well to make a clear cut.
    3. Everything beyond that, development and refinement of features will stay pretty much the same. The development planning for v1.1 will start soon (after a little, annual summer break) and will also take the feedback and results of the Game Survey 2020 into account
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germanicus likes this.
  13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I was typing up a lengthy but informative reply, but honestly your attitude makes it not worth it.
    I'll just leave it at this:

There were options, solutions, and reassurances given to you by multiple people on this thread. You have chosen to ignore all of them. I will not be replying to this thread further. I don't know if your motivation in starting this thread was sincere or not, but the way you have come across isn't leading to any productive conversation.

14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

By the way, they have stated that future updates shouldn't require a game wipe, but this is of course not a legally binding guarantee. This was blown way out of proportion over something that is very likely not a problem at all.

Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

@Taelyn @Pantera
    The OP calls for Closing this Topic... so... would you please?

Kassonnade, shadowiviper and Spoon like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Captain

haha you are a funny guy. You really like to ignore any post you disagree with.
    You remind me of a child crying and banging the floor because they didn't get what they want.

As I have mentioned above, just stick playing version 1.0 and you will not need to do any restarts.

Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

In Austria a person who states his evil intent to damage a Business would get a Law suit...

Kassonnade likes this.
  18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

We have such "ignore all advice"-Freaks all over STEAM (and here). Just found an negative report by a guy from Poland who stated that he filed MANY Bug Reports of which only two got handled....so I searched him here in the Forum. You know what? He filed TWO, both marked for fixed/retesting. After his negative recommendation on Steam in June he .... was last seen here in December.

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

Honestly, what you call for here is something you would expect of a completed product that has finished it's core development. Empyrion isn't there yet, no matter how much they pretend to be right now. We haven't even started Beta testing yet.

Kassonnade, Ambaire and Germanicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.