Saving and loading a Game in SP

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by ion, Dec 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ion

ion Ensign

Perhaps others have noticed these disturbing and frustrating "features" as well:

1- The first one is bearable/manageable: There is no way to see which save-game is the one you manually saved and which is a forced on exit save game

2- This one is really unbearable/frustrating: Each save-game is REMOVED after you load it. This can lead to quickly erase your whole progression unless you SAVE AGAIN after loading a save-game file. This does not make any sense and is very frustrating.

My suggestions:

1- If possible, remove the automatic save-game on exit feature or at least make them look different (color?)
    2- Please eliminate this strange and game breaking feature that automatically erases a save-game after loading it. This is NOT OK. Whatever the intention for this thing (which I have never seen in a game before) was, one can go around it by saving again immediately after loading. So please give this up and create a little less frustration.

2. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I agree its not like other games so its unintuitive and not userfriendly for newcomers which is regrettable but Empyrion is quirky and does not delete the save exactly, it loads the save and plays it and continues to record to that save, so overwrites it. Its a different concept to every other game I have ever played where a save is a save and you can reload it as often as you want and it will always be the same save.

A workaround for #1 is to rename the save you are playing e.g. remove the timestamp. It will keep the name you give it and any manual saves will be given an autogenerated name + timestamp, so you can tell the difference more easily. In the same "resume game" interface you can also use "copy" to duplicate existing saves which is a bit easier if you can think ahead.

Another save management tip is its sometimes easier to delete saves in bulk by just going to the folder and carefully removing the old backups and that is found as follows.

~Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games

Hope that helps OP and any other puzzled newcomers. Welcome to the asylum.

3. Peter Conway

Peter Conway Commander

There is of course the 'Back-up' which saves current game with a timestamp, but I do agree it's a bit of a rigmarole to try something different in a survival game, then find and reload your prior state and save again just in case. (Minecraft does the same thing) a save on exit can be annoying but it is a save.
    However for, me a bigger headache is that there is no exit option on death, you have to continue when you've just died.. that is simply frikkin ridiculous, I personally don't want to consider options of where to carry on once I've just been blown up, I want out!

boolybooly likes this.