Setup a dedicated server in experimental or normal mini-how-to

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by rewt, Oct 14, 2016.

1. VUVossi

VUVossi Lieutenant

Hi Murderinspree,

so the server does NOT need mutcj bandwise !
    Also 1x 100Mbit is fine for a Server with 100 connections.

But if you want to use all of your nics you should do nicteaming, and since Server 2012 the server will do the loadbalance ( no hardware dirver needed ) and the traffice will go over the team ip.

cu
    Vossi

2. Murderinspree

Murderinspree Ensign

thank you for the suggestion. was just looking at the options for nic teaming on server 2012 r2 and i think i will use teaming with one nic on standby and dynamic load balancing. ill let you know if it works out.

3. Murderinspree

Murderinspree Ensign

UPDATE: NIC teaming seems to be working. i disabled 3-4 and teamed nics 1-2. all game servers are showing up and working good so far. not sure how i will work it if i need to run multiple servers of the same game. thanks for the suggestion VUVossi. maybe the devs will still add the ability to tell the empyrion server what its IP is. thanks again :)

4. VUVossi

VUVossi Lieutenant

HI Murderinspree,
    are you using EMP Admin Tool ? If so you can not run multible server on phiscal server.
    If you what to run more that one Server and also using EMP Admin you should install Hyper-V and run in each VM one server.
    That you will also have one virtual nic, and you can team all your 4 nic for the hyper-V server.

:)
    cu
    Vossi

5. smokified

smokified Lieutenant

You run the instances on different ports.

IP binding would be nice though.

6. Iluminator

Iluminator Lieutenant

If someone can help, I have a question. I made a test server on Nitrado but he put the latest current version. How do I put the last experimental?

7. Eliath

Eliath Ensign

Is there a way to setup a multiplayer server start location in orbit around a planet? For example, if I place a space station in orbit is it possible to set the station (or the orbit even) as a starting location?

8. dordodo 1

dordodo 1 Lieutenant

Dedicated Server Download and setup Using Steamcmd Simple Video instruction:

9. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

so guys, I want to start a server for my home network so I can play with my kids. Does this mean that I have to leave my computer running so that the server can stay "saved". Or can I shut down the server, and then turn it on again when we are ready to play? Will it save the game?

Im guessing I have to leave the computer that the server is on at all times but I am hoping I am wrong.

10. Eliath

Eliath Ensign

You can save and shut down the server and then turn it on again when you are ready to play. I do the same with my kids. :)

VISION305 likes this.
  11. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

how do you save the server? Is it intuitive?

I am a computer programmer so Im hoping it will be simple. OK I will give this a try tomorrow. Thanks

12. Eliath

Eliath Ensign

It is a simple command when you close the server: "saveandexit"

Managing the server is very simple for Empyrion.

13. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

hmm, I can run the default server config no problem. The only thing is that I dont want Invader scenario, I want normal survival. If I try to use my own yaml, when I run the cmd file, the server launcher crashes on start. Is this because of the yaml file being edited incorrectly? I have tried so many things at this point but it still keeps crashing on launch when I run my custom .cmd file.

EDIT: I finally found the bug. Nevermind

14. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

ok so how do I turn off the scenarios? I just want a normal survival game. I edited the yaml so that the scenarios is commented out. But Im guessing I have to delete some save file somewhere to get the server to actually restart fresh?

15. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@VISION305 Yeah delete the old save or rename the save file to something else in the yaml.

VISION305 likes this.
  16. River Tam

River Tam Lieutenant

I am renting a server. It seems each and everytime a patch comes out for the new branch I get more confused. Currently my server is not starting up after I patched it. The message that I am getting is my config files are wrong. That is where I am completely 100% confused. It seems no matter what I do it is wrong.:
    Example:#1
    GameConfig:
    GameName: Alpha # Determines name of the save game
    Mode: Survival # Survival or Creative
    Seed: 2309115 # The seed determines how the world is procedurally generated - the same seed means the same world
    CustomScenario: Default Multiplayer # Enable custom scenario. Name of custom scenario from folder Content\Scenarios
    # CustomScenario: Invader vs Defender # We recommend trying out this multiplayer scenario. Use OriginDefault: Defender for this scenario

Example #2:
    GameConfig:
    Seed: 2309115 # The seed determines how the world is procedurally generated - the same seed means the same world
    #CustomScenario: Default Multiplayer # Enable custom scenario. Name of custom scenario from folder Content\Scenarios
    # CustomScenario: Invader vs Defender # We recommend trying out this multiplayer scenario. Use OriginDefault: Defender for this scenario

Both areas I put in my custom playfields.

A copy of my complete file:
    # Dedicated server settings
    # To use your own dedicated.yaml (e.g., "MyDedicatedConfig.yaml"), add "-dedicated MyDedicatedConfig.yaml" to the corresponding batch file

ServerConfig:
    Srv_Port: XXXXX
    Srv_Name: XXXXXX
    Srv_Password: XXXX
    Srv_MaxPlayers: 16
    # Srv_ReservePlayfields: 1 # Idle playfield servers held in reserve. For busy public servers, we recommend at least 2 (default = 1)

# Server description shown in Server Browser
    # max 127 chars: "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
    # Srv_Description: "Server info, can contain bold text or a link."

# All playfield servers will be automatically stopped every <n> real time hours. Players will get some warning messages before
    # Srv_StopPeriod: 48

Tel_Enabled: true # Activate Telnet server
    Tel_Port: XXXXXX
    Tel_Pwd: XXXXXX

# EACActive: false # Activate Easy Anti Cheat (clients have to enable EAC via Options -> Misc to connect to a EAC protected server)
    # SaveDirectory: Saves

#Restrict allowed Blueprint size class: restricted types are not allowed to be produced or spawned
    # 1 = allow only small blueprints, ... , 10 = allow very large blueprints, 0 = no limits (Warning: large blueprints can have very strong performance impact)
    MaxAllowedSizeClass: 10

#Restrict Blueprint types allowed for production in factory
    # None = Blueprint system completely disabled
    # StockOnly = only stock blueprints can be produced
    3 All = all types allowed (default)
    AllowedBlueprints: All

# Timeout in seconds after which a playfield server will be killed (and all players on it disconnected)
    # if it does no longer send heartbeat messages to the dedi (0 = feature disabled)
    HeartbeatServer: 15

# Timeout in seconds after which a client will be disconnected if it
    # does no longer send heartbeat messages to the dedi (0 = feature disabled)
    # HeartbeatClient: 30

# Enable extra log outputs (for debugging purposes)
    # Defined flags: (add together the values if more than one group should be active at the same time)
    # 1 = EAC
    # 2 = EAC_all_details (includes EAC - Note: this generates a lot of log lines)
    # LogFlags: 2

# Uncomment the following line if you want to prohibit Steam Family Sharers playing (only the game owner can play then)
    # DisableSteamFamilySharing: True

# Players with a ping higher than the value specified below will be locked out of the game. We recommend to not allow
    # too high pings as this can result in player cheating
    # KickPlayerWithPing: 300

GameConfig:
    CustomScenario: Default Multiplayer # Enable custom scenario. Name of custom scenario from folder Content\Scenarios

# Note: All times are given in real time hours, 1h real time = approximately 24h in game (Important: Timer counts down as long as the dedicated process is active - deactivated playfields do not stop the timer)
    DecayTime: 24 # Time after which player-built structures without core or less than 10 blocks get removed when not visited (0 = disabled)
    WipeTime: 0 # Time after which any player-built structures get removed when not visited (0 = disabled)
    ProtectTime: 48 # Time during which structures are offline protected

MaxStructures: 100 # Max number of structures per playfield (limit = 255, reduce on performance problems)
    AntiGriefDistance: 30 # Distance (in m) around a faction's base where no other faction's base can be built
    AntiGriefZone: All # Zone where the AntiGriefDistance is valid (All, PvP, PvE)
    AntiGriefOresDistance: 30 # Distance (in m) around ore deposits where no other faction's base can be built
    AntiGriefOresZone: All # Zone where the AntiGriefOresDistance is valid (All, PvP, PvE)
    EnableTrading: GlobalVirtual # Enables a global virtual marketplace for player-to-player trading
    EnableMaxBlockCount: True # Enable or disable the max counting of blocks such as the weapon limit

OriginDefault: Explorer # The name of the default Origin
    # OriginDefault: Defender # Use this default origin when playing Invader vs Defender multiplayer scenario
    OriginAccessOthers: True # False will not allow any alliances with or join to factions from other Origins
    OriginAutoAlliance: True # Factions are per default allied if they are in the same Origin
    FriendlyFireInPvP: False # False will not damage any allied structure even in PvP. Still does hurt players

# --- Difficulty settings ---
    # Notice: Changing some of the difficulty settings require to start a new game in order to take effect
    DiffEscapePodContent: Easy # Easy, Medium, Hard --- Determines the content of the Escape Pod when you crash land on the planet
    DiffPlayerProgression: Normal # Faster, Normal, Slower --- Influences the overall player progression speed by earning more or less XP
    DiffAmountOfOre: Rich # Rich, Normal, Poor --- Influences the average amount of ore that a deposit contains
    DiffNumberOfDeposits: Plenty # Plenty, Normal, Few --- Influences the average number of deposits per planet
    DiffDroneBaseAttack: High # Easy, Medium, Hard, Off --- Influences the difficulty of the drone base attacks (infinite waves, number of waves etc.)
    DiffDronePresence: High # Low, Normal, High, Off --- Influences the overall number of drones that are present on a planet
    DiffEnemySpawnRate: Normal # Low, Normal, High --- Influences the spawn rate of enemy NPCs on a planet
    DiffAttackStrength: Medium # Easy, Medium, Hard --- Influences the overall difficulty when attacking enemies
    DiffConstrCraftTime: Normal # Faster, Normal, Slower --- Influences the overall craft speed of constructors
    DiffBpProdTime: Normal # Faster, Normal, Slower --- Influences the overall production speed of the blueprint factory

All I want is a regular survival game.

I would really like some in put on what I am doing wrong

17. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

One thing Im not sure if it makes a difference but it might. Make sure your # sign is always followed by an empty space.

18. River Tam

River Tam Lieutenant

It is. Already found that mistake. But still will not run. That is what gotten very confused and banging my head on the keyboard.

19. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

Get rid of any quotes in your .cmd file. The problem is more likely in your .cmd file.
    "server1.cmd"

This is what mine looks like:

Code:
    @echo off
    EmpyrionLauncher -startDediWithGfx -dedicated visionSettings1.yaml
    echo.
    echo IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    echo Do not use this batch file (i.e. graphics version) if you connect
    echo via a Remote Desktop connection to the Dedicated Server.
    echo This can lead to output log spamming and thus bad performance
    echo (severe lags, etc.).
    pause

20. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Any help would be appreciated. I used to run dedicated server on my machine succesfully pre experimental 6. Well, actually couple times during experimental 6 too but not for the past 2 weeks.

- I have opened ports 30000-30004 in my router (have tried 26900-26904 too)
    -I have set port 30000 in my YAML (have tried others too)
    -I have tried it with modified & default YAML
    -I have tried with and without Firewall
    -I have tried with and without activating DMZ in my router
    -We are all running the same game version
    -I have verified the server & game files in Steam
    -My router is up to date

I can play it with just fine (well, same machine so...) but everyone else gets Connection Error. Every time.

Im total newb when it comes to this but these same settings USED to work fine so I have no idea what has changed.