Shadows are incorrect/inconsistent.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by The Android, Nov 26, 2023.

1. The Android

The Android Lieutenant

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 1.10.4 4243
    Mode: Creative & Survival
    Mode: Single

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: N/A

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor (Visual issue)

Type:

Summary: Shadow / Light blocking is incorrect and inconsistent. Something has gone wrong...

Description:

I've always had issues with lights (SVs in particular) and I decided to figure out what could be done. There always seems to be a glare problem, a bleed through issue or one minute it's too bright and the next too dark.

I thought I'd build a box to test and figure it out. Things have not gone well.

First, here's the rig:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Lights stepped at different heights. The switches turn on all the lights at a given level.
    [​IMG]

When the lowest lights are turned on (intensity 1, range 5 meters, spotlight mode, ~45 degrees)
    This is with shadows on low with dynamic shadows turned off. Spotlights are coming through the floor and lighting up the white panel 4 blocks below the floor.
    [​IMG]

Shadows set to High/Ultra with Dynamic Shadows set on Low/High (no difference in either setting - maybe quality but I couldn't see any) Only two of the spotlights disappeared...
    [​IMG]

... and if you moved around sometimes the spotlights would come back, sometimes they would disappear depending where you were looking.
    [​IMG]

Well, it is dynamic, but not what is expected. I don't know at this point what to do with lights.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Create a raised box with a light.
    2) Turn on light, change shadow settings. Move around.
    3) Scratch head...

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links: