Share your A-symmetrical vessel designs!

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Fractalite, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Sacksquatch

Sacksquatch Captain

Heh I thought about making an asymmetrical thread a week ago, but I thought "Meh nobody would care". This game needs this thread so we can get more designs like the one above ^. It's not easy for me to make ships like this, that's part of the reason I love them.

Though I came by asymmetrical design naturally, because I started designing interiors first. Most ships don't think about the interior, you see parts just jammed in like it was the last step. I think the interior is the most important part of a ship. It's where you'll be spending a lot of time. It needs to be planned out well, efficient, and look great. The exterior, I've started to view as "just armor and turrets". So by doing interiors first, asymmetry happens.

Though I value function more than form typically, so my ships come out looking like EVE's Minmatar junkers. Duct tape 4 lyfe!

2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Holy crap! I just rushed back to my computer when I got this via email. That is amazing! In fact, it is even from my favorite game, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. Except their take on it, with the deep greens and support trusses, is very original! I love it! Thank you for posting Kieve! Perfect example! I am subscribing at once!

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

This is something I posted in the Wrecks and ruins thread, so forgive the re-post, but this comment reminded me of it:

A space artifact, I call Heavens Cathedral:

Creative_4_2016-09-08_22-46-46.png
    Creative_4_2016-09-08_22-46-59.png
    Creative_4_2016-09-08_22-47-12.png

The theme is a non-euclidean object, which I believe I nailed. :) *statement followed by loud sound of tooting ones own horn* Truthfully it is not COMPLETELY non-euclidean, as I would need the ability to rotate textures and a few more block types(and sizes.) But your point is an important one, and mirrors another post on/in this thread - that it is possible to have an entirely a-symmetrical interior(although this is also a-symmetrical exterior as well.)

Attached Files:

Kieve and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  4. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Sweet ship design man, I think that would have to be one of the most interesting I've seen in here so far (if not for the vertical plane symmetry :p). I'm currently working on a design that is asymmetrical on all planes - which is tougher than I would have thought to be honest.

5. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Nice! I am eager to see it. Take your time, enjoy the process!

6. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

• Please stop trolling / flame wars provoking / off topic spam !
    I don't think I possess a basic understanding of simple physics, I know I do possess advanced understanding of physics and not for my own pleasure. I work 8 years as certified engineers (11 years if you count 3 years of practice during my studies period as "job", but that was different place) in Thermal Energy Lab at Energy Institute in my country. That's why I ask.

Eventually, sure, but so far I wonder how many speakers from this topic will even get a job at my lab :cool:

Conversations like that was common amongst employee, when we were younger, for me it's an 8 hour job and that's it, go home and relax at video games, but some of people are really committed there. So sorry kiddo, I spend years amongst pasionate sientist, including phisicist. That's not scares me. It's not my personal hobby, but it's not anything unusual either. Though we have a project leader who like to torment interns. This old prick is annoying even for as sometimes... :p

7. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Well the point was more that the thread here is about sharing ideas in a world where we are not limited by the laws that govern this one, legal/social/physical or otherwise. It might be a rule of thumb in real life, especially when designing craft whose intended purpose is interplanetary exploration, to keep things symmetrical for the purposes of propulsion systems or to avoid excess friction when plunging into the atmosphere to avoid tearing the craft apart. But there is no friction in EGS, no difference in pressure or density between outer space and the stratosphere of any planet (with exception of maybe breathable atmo). I mean inertia doesn't even work as it does here, simulated as a function on the entire object rather than the sum of all the vectors of the objects components. Everyone here knows what you're driving at, "it's not like it is in real life," and that is kind of the point isn't it?

I hate to be terribly pedantic, but I feel I should elaborate a tiny bit on this point. Your beef here is that this is impractical ship design because it wouldn't work in the real world, though I doubt you would want that same logic applied to everything in the game. But last time I checked, I can't carry hundreds of tons of steel, and get it to magically stick together by just stacking it up. I also can't use a jet-pack (they don't exist, at least nothing like what's in EGS), there is no such thing as a functional warp drive or plasma weapons, I'm pretty sure blowing up buildings would upset people (no matter how much loot was inside), and I certainly can't wander around killing wildlife at random without pissing off PETA...at least last time I checked. I could go on (and on and on) but I won't. :rolleyes:

This is going to be my last post on this thread directed to you (unless you're posting a ship design of your own). I think you would make more friends here if you were nicer and more patient with everyone, and if you find yourself looking around and thinking "everyone is crazy (or stupid/etc.)," take a step back and look at yourself - because in this case, you were the one who wasn't 'getting it.' And that is fine, you're entitled to dislike anything you choose, but you don't have to make it your mission to ruin the fun and imagination for everyone else (who, I should reiterate, are all quite aware of the unrealistic nature of the thread I'm sure). The people in these forums are all really friendly and nice, if you think they were ganging up against you, it's because you were being rude and they look after each other here and are (for the most part ;)) respectful and considerate of each other.

If you want a real challenge, considering you're a physics buff, try designing a ship that is asymmetrical, but would still fly in the real world (i.e. - larger thrusters on the heavier parts to compensate for weight distribution and whatnot). Then you would be contributing to the conversation and you could add something to the thread instead of taking the fun out of it. :D

Mr.E, Tyrax Lightning and Fractalite like this.
  8. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Thank you for your restraint Xero. I agree, let us move on to the bases and designs!

Do not think I missed this nice little super handy thread you have created Cotoktoto: http://empyriononline.com/threads/c...tealth-ship-npc-aiming-priorities.7584/page-2

Those are some nice a-symmetrical designs you have there. :Do_O;)

I know what the answer would be, or could be; that those are testing or experimental vessels that serve no practical purpose, that no one in their right mind(I believe you described it as "no-self-respecting engineer",) as you have claimed over and over to be, would create something like this, yet, you did, and they are being mighty useful. :)

You see, that is the whole point behind a-symmetry. It can allow us to explore different ideas, approach ideas from different angles, and is tremendously helpful, even with or without full-fledged designs.

So now that you have been exposed as a rather awesome hypocrite, please stop harassing this thread. In fact, feel free to post those designs here. Call them.... lets see, "Experimental tester vessel Alpha, beta, delta, etc."

Tyrax Lightning, Kieve and Slam Jones like this.
  9. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

Not a single one of them is asymmetrical, left and right site of all my ships are the same. Ships on those pictures are shown from a side, not from rear or front. If you can't even understand that, why are you mad that someone call you dumb. It's not even an insult just the honest truth.

10. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Honestly, I think we need to be a little more concise with our definition of asymmetry while we're at it. Technically speaking, almost all vessels are asymmetrical along at least one plane (and I'm not counting the components inside the ship as someone suggested earlier, only the external design). Most vessels, including those that are perceived as 'symmetrical' are only so on a horizontal plane. I've seen a few designs that are asymmetrical along this plane, but in these cases, usually the ship has just rotated the plane of symmetry 90 degrees.

IMHO, to be terribly semantic about it, I think for any ship to be truly asymmetrical, it needs to be so across all 3 axes. I'm currently working on a ship that meets this requirement, but the aesthetics are a challenge. We're building in 3d space, so we should think of symmetry in 3 dimensional terms in my opinion.

Honestly, if I wasn't posting here while at work, I would probably upload screenshots of my progress. I'd also probably visit the "what did you do in empyrion today" thread and post my awesome new CV and SV designs (which I am for once actually considering uploading the the workshop).

11. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Dude...what the heck are you talking about? The very first post you list showcases a ship which, whether you like it or not, is neither symmetrical nor practical. Can you please pass around whatever you're smoking and share with the rest of the forum? I think you're done partying tonight anyway...

And this is just in case you've gone the whole conversation without knowing what the terms symmetry and asymmetry mean. There is only one axis where that ship is symmetrical, and even that definition depends on which part of that monstrous shoe-box you would consider the front.

12. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Just ignore him, mate. He'll leave eventually.

13. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

Lie. The left and right side of the ship are symmetrical, not a single cube is different from left or right side. not a single one.

[​IMG]

Leave comments like that to yourself, they fit you by far better anyway. But what to expect from a liar.

14. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Okay everyone, we can do this. Just skip the post, don't engage him. You know who I mean.

So asymmetric ships are pretty awesome. I don't have many, but I figure I can post some that I find on the workshop. :)

Anyway, here's a great (and extremely creative!) asymmetric SV from the workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774772357&searchtext=

[​IMG]

And who could forget the classic Millenium Falcon? (There are tons of these in the workshop, but I really like this one :) )

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774902969&searchtext=

[​IMG]

And another very creative SV!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730314281&searchtext=

[​IMG]

Another Star Wars design, the TIE Lander

[​IMG]

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728355777&searchtext=

Yet another SW design (the Empire has a lot of asymmetric designs apparently!)

[​IMG]

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735768832&searchtext=

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  15. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

And just as I was starting to hold out hope that you weren't a total douche. o_O

I'm going to skip pointing out how your original post suggested different orientation as to where the 'front' of the ship is, and I'm not going to call you out on your straw-man attempt to categorically assume everything I said was false because you found a petty point you think you can exploit. Though I will point out that for someone of your alleged intellect usually doesn't indulge in making sweeping, over-generalized, blanket statements about ... well anything, (smart people usually leave things like that to the ignorant...hint,hint).

It seems you've inadvertently created your own logic bomb here (but I"m sure your superior intellect planned things this way, right?). So, by calling me a liar, are you insinuating that this ship is practical and would fly in real life? Because if you're not attempting to make that assertion, your claim that I was "lying" is false, making you the liar sir. And if not, then you're being a hypocrite with reference to your earlier insinuation that all ships we design must be practical "because physics."

So which is it Einstein? Are you a liar yourself? Or just a hypocrite?

Though I guess you can technically be both.

Tyrax Lightning and Fractalite like this.
  16. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  17. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

When I think of asymmetrical ships I'm thinking more along the lines of this:
    [​IMG]

Or the B-Wing fighter or that crazy borg ship
    [​IMG]

The Minmatar faction ships in EvE also have some really oddball asymmetrical designs.
    [​IMG]

18. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

This image fills me with a cornucopia of emotions. Some of which are deeply disturbing and confusing.

LOL j/k that ship gets a 10/10 from me though for sure. :D

Tyrax Lightning and Slam Jones like this.
  19. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Understanding the difference between reality and fantasy, and being able to adopt different sets of rules and ideas for different contexts does not make one stupid.

20. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Very wise and insightful Lift, thank you. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you happen to build or stumble across a a-symmetrical or non-euclidean build that interests you, please feel free to share. I would be interested in seeing it.