Share your Planets

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Kaeser, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Vexray

Vexray Captain

Ill consider making more in the near future. College has started back up so my game time has dropped a bit. Well see where things take us, with the closer of my server its been a little depressing playing EGS atm lol.

2. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

I am toying around with this today. I am able to add a planet to my sectors using one of the existing playfields, but I'm not having any luck adding one of Vexray or Kaesar custom playfields. I am not on a server, just SP. Which piece am I missing?

3. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

I am adding the folders from y'all's playfields to my playfields folder and then adding an entry to the sectors yaml. Does that sound about right?

4. Paranoyd

Paranoyd Ensign

That ship... she didn't, by any chance, sail by night on her final flight to the heart of Cygnus' fearsome force? ;)

5. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Hi guys a new planet.

I call this one Buzzell, it's an icy planet with vast oceans and rich deposits but unable to support live, so go prepared...

On the other hand it's awesome for a few races....

Buzzell 00.jpg

Buzzell 01.jpg

Buzzell 02.jpg

Buzzell 03.jpg

Buzzell 04.jpg

Buzzell 05.jpg

Buzzell 06.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  6. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

UPDATE: I did get it working. There were two issues. First, the text editor was adding some spaces that should not have been there - particularly a blank line with two spaces. Secondly, in order to get the custom planets to work, I had to copy over the raw files from another playfield. The raw files are some sort of map...perhaps a graphical representation of the surface of the planet you see from space? I believe once you are in the playfield it is not used...maybe.

7. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Yes that's correct, it's probably better that you copy one of the exiting folders, like for example if you want to add Arrakis that is a desert planet, to your game, copy the folder Desert from the playfields folder, name it Arrakis and add the new Arrakis yaml file there and then add Arrakis to your sector yaml file.

Then you just have to star a new game or you can also copy the sector file over to an existing save game and replace the sector file. But it's always better to star a new.

Also use a editor like Notepad++, it's easier to edit files...

Lhetre likes this.
  8. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

This is the customized (mostly Omicron/Masperon) that I'm using as the starter planet in Season 5. :)

NewGame_2016-08-21_18-52-14.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

I had quite a bit of fun playing with custom planets today. I didn't try to do anything with servers, and I don't plan on diving into that end of the pool. I did get 12 new planets added to my current SP save file, arranged them with the EmpPlayfieldGenerator tool, and even inserted my own custom alien POI. With the help of Vexray's epb files, I was able to get his custom POIs working on his planets. They are a hoot! That LorianAcademy is unbelievably hard...but maybe its because I have my difficulty at Hard. I tried setting up a game using Vexray's sectors file the way he has his set up on his server and it just wouldn't go. So while I have his planets and yours, they are not setup with the same moons, asteroid fields, etc. that you do. I will work on it some more.
    I found out just a little more about the .raw files. It appears they are generated by the game - probably when you start a new game. They do appear to be what you see when you are approaching a planet. If you get an error message after adding new playfields, adding the raw files from some other playfield does seem to get you by, but what you see from space won't match what you see when you break atmo. When I started a new survival game, I noticed that the raw files were updated. So, your advice to start with a new game is probably good advice. I am pretty sure I made lots of mistakes today, but I am having a lot of fun learning.

Kaeser likes this.
  10. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

Big picture question. Thinking about playfield yaml versus biome yaml. It seems to me that they are very similar and a plaufield can define or contain its own biome. A biome is essentially a reusable part of a playfield, but all that info can be rolled into the playfield if you want. Am I close? A biome is kind of what a software person might call a type. (?)

Kaeser likes this.
  11. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Didn't delve into that part yet, but I´ll report as soon as I do....

12. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

It makes sense to use biomes if you are going to procedurally generate (or even hand make) a hundred "desert" planets. You wouldn't have the patience to design 100 unique biomes. Instead you would make one or two desert biomes and reuse them over and over for X number of planets. The templates are capable of randomly placing POIs and mixing things up a bit but the basic parameters are the same. My guess is we could take a planet you designed and make a template from that and have many many planets that are like your planet sprinkled around the map. If you had a sufficient number of templates, you might go quite a while before you ran into another planet that looked just like Akua or Buzzel.

Kaeser likes this.
  13. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Cool mate, didn't thought about mixing biomes that way yet, nice. :)

Also, you can zip the yaml file and post it here.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  14. Vexray

Vexray Captain

Alphine is now available
    2f6f887486beef493f71683aaaf865a7.gif 6f3d6f030df053e2006d7840922fe589.gif b9ed28ddf792e71775b0cf274fcfc2c7.jpg ccef4ac87f94e349d8143579b017c36e.jpg

Attached Files:

martian101, Lhetre and Kaeser like this.
  15. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

16. Vexray

Vexray Captain

I agree, however with this game, having habitatless planets are basically useless planets. So i try to provide basic resources to accomidate our playerbase living on them. Untill we have better planetary refinement, desolate lifeless, resourceless planets just look dull and uninviting (your ice one stands out howeveer). I hope to see more that we can do with lifeless planets in the future.

Lhetre and Kaeser like this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

18. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Here is my first test planet. lol I'm trying to figure out how you change the terrain like trees and grass. Screenshot (150).png Screenshot (152).png Screenshot (154).png

martian101 and Kaeser like this.
  19. Vexray

Vexray Captain

still looks great buddy!

20. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Thanks. Thanks to you guys and others posting how to do this . i was able to do this little bit. Are there any videos on how to change the trees grass and maybe the weather?