Shields down to warp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChumSickle, Mar 3, 2021.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm fine with giving pvp players more options, but they should be options. They're only like 1% of the player base so the game doesn't revolve around them.

2. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

From what was posted above, it looks like the "drop shields to warp" was part of the design from the very beginning, so it really makes the "We did it so PvPers could gank noobs" seem far fetched, especially since PvP makes up such a minute portion of the population.

zaphodikus and Germanicus like this.
  3. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I, had hoped that PVP was more popular. I've not played much MP, but what I have played, I have enjoyed a bit of PVP. The fact you have to gather resources first to PVP is a bit daft though, that's the only part of it I never understood, making so many of the other arguments about multiplayer rather moot really. A simple resource "loot crate" or factory resource bar that fills up automatically would fix this, I assume all the good PVP servers do this anyway to stop people just senselessly digging holes everywhere, (Good Minecraft servers been going this for decades , it's much easier in java) but I digress.

Please add to gameoptions.yaml a simple flag.

4. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Actually the 'drop shields to warp' is much less troublesome for some players compared to the fact that a ship's speed must be zero in order to board it , or for your own ship to leave your cockpit. Eleon can easily change warp rules, but why should they...It doesn't make any difference in gameplay, just 2 more keys to press before and after you warp (I'm not in the PvP stuff, I cannot judge), but the speed problem related to collision boxes is probably not going to change (or re-code the entire game).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    zaphodikus likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I can see a few people whinging about being able to leave a moving ship. Like they are traveling in space and hit the F key instead of the D key. Next thing they are out of their ship, which is still flying off into the distance.

japp_02 likes this.
  6. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

A little off topic here, but I don't see the need to get up and walk around a moving ship. Distances in Empyrion are not that long. Just my opinion.

Back on topic - I would also like to be able to warp with shields up. I don't play PVP but twice in recent memory I've warped in with shields down to find drones in one instance and a zirax base in the other having already opened fire on my CV and taking hits. If shields up was instant I wouldn't complain, but it seems to take a variable amount of time and sometimes that's just too long.

RIP Explorer II, you were a good CV.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  7. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

^^
    The gameplay mechanics wouldn't chagne much if you could walk around in your ship while it moves, and quite the contrary, there are lots of downsides, Spoon has just mentioned one, namely a mis-pressed key, but otherwise there can be so many enemies coming into your range while you move that you'd rather be at your cockpit to have full control.

GoldDragon and zaphodikus like this.
  8. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

Unless turning off shields to warp is needed for technical reasons this would be better if changed to be able to leave shields on.
    Is simply a nuisance and feels like it reduces the flow of the game.

Miznit, Khazul and stanley bourdon like this.