Ship Elevator: proof of concept

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Captain Amazing, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing Commander

Seeing as we can dock HV's to SV's now, I made a ship elevator proof of concept. An SV in a base. Only has up and down thrusters. Fits nice and snug. Has docking feet on it if you use in a CV.

Undock the SV platform. Drive your HV (or new SV airplane) onto it and dock. Hop in the SV cockpit and lift your ship. Use sensors on the big cargo doors so they open for you.

The flanges on the SV catch the underside of the open cargo doors, leaving a level surface with a tiny gap and your HV (pr plane) can go from there.

Obviously can be built to any size or height. Adding variable levels of thrust would be helpful so it's not too jumpy when empty. 20191101064043_1.jpg 20191101064108_1.jpg 20191101064209_1.jpg 20191101064254_1.jpg 20191101064306_1.jpg 20191101064415_1.jpg 20191101064432_1.jpg 20191101064600_1.jpg

Now you can store your HV's underground, or have a flight deck on your carrier. Or whatever. Go nuts.

2. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

- I love your creativity! For those who roleplay or build just for the fun of it (I believe many do) - this is a wonderfully immersive idea. It goes along with the various mono rail projects you see on the workshop. I understand this workaround is not so practical using the cockpit etc as a real lift system should be, but that is not the point) stick your concept on the workshop - I can see people enjoying the creative possibilities - or you tubers featuring in videos...

(and yes I would like one day to see an purpose built in game elevator block - for ships and vessels that is more immersive than the current elevator cubes. )

3. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Reduced to on topic posts.

4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I do not like this BP. It forces the player to do much more work than suposed to. It is a game not a second job. Automatic doors and ramps are welcome, but not a solution like this. It complicates matters.

Just my two cents.

5. Captain Amazing

Again, nobody is 'forcing' you to use it. You would actually have to build it yourself to use anyhow, so relax. You will never have to use this. Nobody will force you to use it. But until Eleon comes up with a real freight elevator, this is it. Unless you can make yourself useful and invent a better one.

cmguardia and Sofianinho like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Hey I think this is kinda cool.
    Maybe not practical yet but lots of game mechanics got added based on proof of concepts so who knows. :D

SacredGlade likes this.
  7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

There are several elevators out there by using CVs that have the ability to recieve docked HVs AND SVs.....You know?

8. Captain Amazing

I thought about the workshop, but it's really two blueprints. And the elevator fits so snugly inside the elevator shaft, I doubt you could actually spawn it in place even if you downloaded them both. I may still make a video about it. I'm burning out on Empyrion though, so probably not.

9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Spawn CV outside base, then freely place it in the elevator shaft and add doors in the end. ;)

by adding a little more imagination, one could build a cabin type CV with its own doors etc just to use it up and down a BA elevator shaft. Also maybe even use it as escape pod when needed towards space or if BA is in space, towards whetever destination !!!

10. martian101

martian101 Lieutenant

If you so good about it why won't you build your own instead of pissing off everyone else in the forum?

stanley bourdon and Sofianinho like this.
  11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Read post #7 If there was a room for improvement I would improve the idea. But the OP offers no improvent at all. In fact his idea, draws the player backwards. SVs can not dock on other SVs hence elevator is limited in usability, added to the fact that forces the player to do more work in game just to park some vessels. :confused:

Bad idea sorry.

12. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Not necessarily.
    As an SV, it can be used as an elevator on a CV instead of a base since it can dock to the CV while in transit which cannot be done with the CV elevator. It's also much cheaper to construct, especially if made from Carbon Composite.
    As it's an SV, it's also detectable while piloted with motion sensors which isn't true of CVs piloted by the player. Allowing doors to opened and closed ahead and behind it with signal logic.
    While it cannot move an SV, an SV doesn't need to be moved. It can fly up and down the elevator shaft freely; which isn't true for HVs that are completely incapable of climbing a straight elevator shaft taller than a few meters.

Of course, this is entirely dependant on the size of the elevator. It's pointless for a single floor, but if you're moving up a vertically-aligned CV or from a deep underground base it's just as viable if not more so than the CV iteration because of the added sensor detectability.

13. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Go on - you know you really want to! ;)