Filed / Tracking Ships sometimes spawn in with no torque [00721]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Garaman, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Build: 1.9.2 4016
    Mode: Survival / Creative
    Mode: Single Player / Multiplayer

Reproducibility: Sometimes
    Severity: Minor

Type: Thruster Logic

Summary: Sometimes when a ship is spawned in the thrusters do not generate any torque

Description:
    I have encountered some blueprints that cannot turn after they are spawned in. It seems to have something to do with them being saved with the thrusters off, and when activated the thrusters will only generate lateral motion but not rotational torque. This does not happen in all cases, and I have not figured out the exact steps to manifest this bug. However, the attached BP is somehow saved in this state and will demonstrate the issue when spawned in.

The issue can be fixed in-game by either adding or removing a thruster, or by assigning a thruster to a signal. This seems to kick the game to recompute the torque values across the entire ship and the vehicle will work correctly.

Note: For full disclosure the attached BP was built in an RE creative save and the illegal devices were removed to make it vanilla-compliant. I don't have a vanilla-created BP yet that manifests this, though the BP should be fully legal for vanilla and is where I ran the following tests.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Start EGS in a creative save (it sometimes does not manifest if the save has been open for a while)
    2. Spawn the attached "Test Frame V" CV
    3. Activate the thrusters. Observe the statistics panel and note that all of the torque values are zero.
    4. Do one of the following:
      1. Add a small thruster and remove it
      2. Assign a signal to a thruster, and then un-assign it (make sure that the thruster remains turned on)
    5. Observe that the CV will now rotate
    6. Leave the thrusters active and save a new blueprint of the CV.
    7. Turn off the thrusters and save a second new blueprint of the CV.
    8. Load both new blueprints. The one saved with thrusters on will work correctly. The one saved with thrusters off will not be able to turn.
    Screenshots:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Have you tried to sit in the cockpit first ?

3. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Yep, just tested again to double-check. You can move laterally in all directions, but cannot turn.

Myrmidon likes this.
  4. Ukemi

Ukemi Ensign

remove one thruster an replace it / that give torque back / it is a very old bug