Small Vessel

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Thanks for the input. I wanted to make something maneuverable enough to fight flying in any direction and able to flip axis quickly.

I'm still new so not sure how to best do that. More thrusters and/or RCS perhaps?

Is this better? I'm still not sure how to make sense of the acceleration/torque/thrust stats or what is considered acceptable there:

Shipyard-DBv2_Backup_26_Backup_5_Backup_2016-09-08_12-42-01.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

You are new, but you are clearly quite talented - picking things up fast, I really like this design. And yes, that is better, you doubled the the speeds on the X and Y axis - from 11 m/s^2 to 20, but you also increased the weight - the bane of all ship designs weight vs thrust vs fuel. :) Sufficiently agile ships will also depend on the toughness of the ship, but that is your prerogative.

In that image you just posted, the RCS units control/influence the "pitch," "Yaw," and "Roll." A way to consider how effective those values are is to compare the Neuton meters - see the pitch is at 200 KNm compared with the thrust at 180 KN for the downwards vertical thrust? That means the that the ship can rotate roughly as fast as it can strafe.... very roughly. In addition, the "Roll" is always a percentage of the listed value with RCS units, so if the RCS listed say 200, then the "Roll" is less than that and a percentage. It seems to be a linear relationship, but that may vary on larger designs or may change in future patches.

Let me know if you have other questions. I will do what I can to help.

Tyrax Lightning and SoCalExile like this.
  3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

One other thing; you mentioned that you wanted to know "what is considered acceptable there:"

This, like so many things with ship design, is also relative to the pilot and specifically the pilots sense of spacial reasoning. Some pilots prefer a ship that can turn on a dime and can stick to an opponent like a leech. Others prefer ships that take long arcs, more like strafing passes or gigantic ellipses. You should not worry about trying to make a "best design for all situations," but instead make a ship that does "x" and then be sure to communicate that to people so they know what to expect, and then add descriptions that indicate an openness to change said design based on field experience.

Not to place too big a feather in my own cap, but this is the Aura_Vita, one of my own designs and something that possesses the speed and maneuverability you are interested in:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754599040

Feel free to strip her and learn from the design and quantity of components, but that will give you something that will help with speeds and powerful metrics.

4. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Well this is awkward. As I was floating away, I noticed at the last second that the sphere was not symmetrical? Weird? So here is the updated version.

Creative_3_2016-09-08_17-46-38.png

Attached Files:

5. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

*sigh* and this is the wrong forum area....

6. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Okay, after some reworking, this is what I came up with:

I did two versions, one with regular steel blocks and one with hardened steel.

results from steel:

Shipyard-DBv2_Backup_26_Backup_5_Backup_2016-09-08_18-29-54.png

Results from the up-armored version:

Reflex Predator 4-Gun.png

Is it competitive yet at least, for a small, short range interceptor (i.e. standard TIE fighter role)?

I still plan to upload these without guns and with mounting surfaces painted red and the removable portions painted green for those who want 8 guns.

ETA- 8 Gun versions have slightly better performance, since they are a bit lighter.

8 gun, steel version:
    Reflex Raptor 8 Gun.png

8 gun up-armored:

Reflex Predator 8 Gun.png

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  7. Tusc

Tusc Ensign

8. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  9. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I look forward to trying that out! Might FINALLY give the non-Landing Pad Landing Gear a use because their larger stick out profile would be a lot less an issue on the Ship's Back vs the Bottom that can have to face Enemy Fire from a Foe being faced.

Agreed. Part of Ship Building is designing one's Ship around one's own Playstyle, like for example, for my Ship Designs, Brawny Warriors, others opt for Fragile Speedsters, while yet more peeps might be biased towards hit & run. In the case of something being designed for Mass Production for the likes of Equipping a Space Force or such, i'm not experienced at that, being a weird oddball myself, but from past observation, such Forces tend to opt for balanced 'jack-of-all-trades' stats.

Perhaps spending a tad too much time with your Head in the Warp Engine's Warp Field? :p

Fractalite likes this.
  10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Ha! No, not Head-in-the-warp-field problem, more, got too excited about the dev's no thread on artifacts and such - assumed I was in the right forum area.

11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

You upload files by finding the steam heading in the main program files x86 directory, then under steamapps, common, Empyrion - Galactic survival, saves, blueprints - find the folder with the name of the ship, base, etc. then upload both the data file and the jpg after you open that folder. Truth be told, linking to steam is enough, adding the files additionally is optional.

12. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

13. Tyrax Lightning

Note: If ya wanna Share the Files here in a Post, ya will need to zip'em first with a Zipping Program of choice. I personally use 7zip, & others use & like WinZip I hear.

Fractalite likes this.
  14. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Wait, I have been sharing the blueprint and jpg files successfully without zipping them? Did you mean other file types, like say folders?

15. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Moment of panic over, I just downloaded another un-ziped blueprint file and jpg from these forums and they worked. Whew!

16. Tyrax Lightning

That's odd... I would swear I tried Uploading a BP into a Post on here before & it wouldn't work unless it was Zipped cause the BP File Format was incompatible with the Thread Post "Upload a File" Button...:confused:

17. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Do me a favor then, pop on over to the new thread regarding artifacts under the general blueprints thread and download the Ancient obelisk blueprint and jpg I have posted there. Then try loading them, it should work - although the structure itself actually needs updating. Some how there are four blocks extending downwards from the base of the structure so when you place it down, it immediately disintegrates... I am going to fix that this evening. :)

18. Tyrax Lightning

Psst, it helps if ya actually Link the Thread. I'm Lazy. :p

19. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

A bigger, super fast and maneuverable, tough ship primarily designed for me to see the new landing gear. I must say, I love the look - very aggressive. It was my favorite on the CVs, now it looks to continue the reputation aboard SVs.

This ship is pretty good at everything. Comes with 8 generators, plenty of storage, and all the rest. Lots of room to add more.

A side note: I am excited that I finally realized that weapons fire converges! No more jamming all the weapons into the nose of my craft.

Steam Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=762905211

Creative_7_2016-09-13_00-26-05.png
    Creative_7_2016-09-13_00-26-18.png
    Creative_7_2016-09-13_00-26-36.png

Creative_7_2016-09-13_00-26-55.png

Creative_7_2016-09-13_00-27-22.png
    Creative_7_2016-09-13_00-28-05.png

Siege Inc. and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  20. WhizZLe

WhizZLe Ensign

KAMERADEN!!! The German Luftwaffe presents our first intergalactic space vessel:

The Rheingold-I <<<< Click here

[​IMG]

It includes everything a soldier needs in the fields out there:

2 Constructor
    2 Cargo-Boxes
    1 O²-Station
    3 O²-Tanks
    5 Fuel-Tanks
    2 Ammo-Boxes
    1 Fridge

We are proud to provide you the newest weapon technology with:

3 Rail Guns
    2 Miniguns

Build with the finest hardened Krupp-Steel to keep the soldier and his goods safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.