Small Vessel

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey Commander

Back from a quick break and used the opportunity to play with the new open cockpit and rebuild my old dropship with the new toys we got (Thanks Eleon :) )

Well here she goes. A bit bigger, more room, and more boom :)

NewGame_2_2016-09-14_19-01-35.png

NewGame_2_2016-09-14_19-20-11.png

NewGame_2_2016-09-14_19-20-20.png

Haven't take her out for a ride in survival yet but the quick spin in creative felt good.
    The hull is full hardened steel and the 4 outer gettlings are meant to be replaced with rails or other armaments of your desire or level.

here is the link to the workshop
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763587003

give it a spin and tell me what you think :)

o/

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I cannot quite tell... towards the ends of its wings, there is a strip of something, it looks like "I'm I'm I'm I'm...." What is that?

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

RCS modules? I had to put them somewhere.

5. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Hello! No Blueprints yet (still putting final details into em, such as texturing, fine tuning, etc) but here's my current set of SVs, mainly intended for the Red vs Blue server, but possibly for other stuff as well.

The front row are all new as of the past few days, and the others are older designs that have been updated within the same timeframe. All feature Open Cockpits as well as improved handling and acceleration from previous versions.

[​IMG]

(Bottom row, left to right: Bandicoot, Sparrow, Bullet Ant)
    (Middle row, left to right: Mantis Mk3, Serpent Mk2, Hornet Mk4)
    (Back row, left to right: Stinger Mk3, Scorpion Mk3)

Fractalite and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

You are a brave man, exposing vitals like that. Maybe cover them with plates of reinforced steel, or maybe grating?

7. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Fixed. :p

Vitals really do need at least a bit of protection or one's SV could be murdered by even a Dude's T1 Pistol from fresh outta a Escape Pod. Oh wait... now that I think about it, can a T1 Pistol down a Closed Cockpit with enough Ammo? What IS a Closed Cockpit's Armor anyway?

8. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I moved the RCS modules to more protected locations. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Fractalite and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  9. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Not sure the armor value, but the Armored Windows have 150 HP, the Open Cockpit has 700 HP, and the Player character has 500 HP. Not sure which takes damage first, the player or the seat...

10. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I would think it'd depend on if it was the Player's Hitbox or the Open Cockpit's Hitbox that was struck. If it works any other way then that it won't make any sense imho.

11. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Well that'd be the logical choice. Then again, thin blocks take up a full blocks worth of space, and you can damage blocks on the other side of the one you hit, so I don't think we can assume that the logical choice is the correct one.

12. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

13. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I do not know if it has been fixed yet(not that it needs to be,) but in one of the first videos I viewed on Empyrion had someone in a ridiculous artillery contraption that was essentially a 5 x 1 x 25 slab that they were using to try and assault poi's. Outside of everyone reading that and rolling their eyes at the folly of such a futile maneuver, the cockpit was the "open" version, and the guns from the poi unsurprisingly targeted the cockpit first, but only killed the pilot. So I think it would depend on the angle as once the player re-spawned, they raced back to their craft and found that it was mostly intact.

14. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Interesting. Most of my ships with the Open Cockpit are built to have sorta 'outer walls' on some areas... basically thin, extra pieces of armor that would catch incoming fire and cause it to explode there (a few blocks further from the vitals, preferably out of splash damage range), rather than directly on the cockpit itself. However, these only account for some of the angles one can be hit from, and often obscure first-person visibility.

Whether or not it's worth it is subjective I guess.. with a closed cockpit, your character usually will only die once the cockpit explodes. In such a case, you have no cockpit to go back to, to attempt to fly it away. With an open cockpit, assuming you were only shot out of it, you could still potentially get back to the seat and bail outta there.

But this is all conjecture until some battle testing is done :)

15. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I am very curious to see your "stinger Mk3." That looks like a larger, upright, aggressive design.

"Whether or not it's worth it is subjective I guess"

and

"But this is all conjecture until some battle testing is done"

Leads me to agree with you. To the science!

Build four ships, and fly them all into the guns of a poi - preferably a laser turret for speeds sake. Have a controlled variable of said ship with a basic cockpit - for comparison. Then one with Armored glass surrounding a basic cockpit, then one with an open cockpit exposed to air, then one with a open cockpit surrounded by armored glass. :)

16. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

I'll upload a Blueprint for it tonight, it's easily the biggest (complete) SV I've done. It's meant to be more of a CV bomber than a fighter, but maybe I'm not giving it enough credit. I always feel weird making big SVs, so idk if I'll make a bigger one soon/ever. Still not 100% sure how I want the interior set up, but it should be easier with the open cockpits.

Will have to give the POI test a try, but I might throw in a few more variables... namely, the side of the ship getting hit by the POI. Top, bottom, side, and somewhere in between. I think closed cockpit surrounded by Armored Windows is the most solid, but I'm trying to not go back to that style :p

17. zuccio71

zuccio71 Ensign

Hi there,
    here my first 2 SVs
    Urania I and Peregrine
    They are both very agile and fast SVs NewGame_2016-09-10_21-46-00.png NewGame_2016-09-10_21-46-13.png NewGame_2016-09-11_08-09-55.png NewGame_2016-09-11_08-10-37.png Urania-I.jpg NewGame_2016-09-17_07-10-16.png NewGame_2016-09-17_07-10-37.png NewGame_2016-09-17_07-15-09.png

Urania I:
    2 Small Ammobox
    1 Cargo Box
    3 Fuel Tanks
    2 Generators
    2 Spot Lights
    1 O2 station
    1 O2 Tank
    4 RCS
    22 Thrusters
    4 Plasma Cannons
    2 Rocket Lauchers

Peregrine:
    1 Small Ammobox
    1 Cargo Box
    1 Fuel Tank
    1 Generator
    2 Spot Lights
    1 O2 Station
    1 O2 Tank
    2 RCS
    16 Thrusters
    1 Rocket launcher
    2 Plasma Cannons

Attached Files:

18. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Finally got around to uploading it to the Steam Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765561741

It's not the quickest ship, but feel free to take it for a spin. Just note that it lands on its back, like Boba Fett's Slave I ship from Star Wars.

19. Philipp

Philipp Captain

20. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I dunno philipp, that's not bad. There are not that many gigantic crew carriers, so you also meet an important niche - a niche that will grow more important as this game expands. Keep at it, with each design you will get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.