Solar panels...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andrew box, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tryst

Tryst Captain

What's really needed is a setting on the capacitors to divert all solar power to the capacitor if there is fuel in the tanks to drive the generators. A simple logic gate similar to the one a UPS uses could do this. A hud warning to let you know the base is on battery power only, triggered when the fuel runs out. You can have the setting off if you prefer the solar power to reduce fuel usage but this would negate any emergency backup. The third option requires a lot of capacitors but would allow 50% of the capacitors you build for fuel use reduction and the other 50% for emergency backup. Since the setting would be on each capacitor or group, you can set them as you want.

Solar power is really only a backup system and IMO, should act like a UPS that kicks in when the main power fails. More batteries only means more time for you to find fuel. You couldn't run your entire home on solar power only, it would require more land than most people have for the solar panels. Therefore, it is used either to reduce main power use to save on bills or as a short term emergency backup system for power failures.

As a matter of fact, a HUD warning to let you know the base has run out of fuel would be helpful for everyone, even if they don't have solar powered backups.

2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Frankly, I don't see the point in having such a setting. Fuel-consuming generators are the backup system, since they're guaranteed to have 100% uptime while fuel is available. There's no difference between running your base 100% on generators while using solar to charge the solar capacitor, and running your base on a combination of generators and solar while not charging the solar capacitor; the amount of energy required is the same, whether it's being stored in your fuel tank or in your solar capacitor.

Kassonnade and WolfEyes like this.
  3. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I've been under the impression solar power is intended to be used as a sole power source OR in combination with fuel generators as a back up for when fuel runs out. A simple on/off switch in the control panel for each would be sufficient and efficient. A couple of on/offs is all that is really needed to give players desired options. In this way, if they have both installed, they can choose to use one or the other, or both. No need to clutter up the game with too many bells and whistles. Most people will just "turn off their hearing" to the point where they don't even notice them anymore. Human nature. ;)

Kassonnade and geostar1024 like this.
  4. Tryst

Tryst Captain

Quite honestly, if you are happy with the way it is now, you can leave it. The option is for those of us who might feel that a battery BACKUP should be just that. I don't have a UPS on my computer to cut down on the amount of electricity my PC consumes from the socket.

Since you could be away from your base when the main power fails and it switches to batteries, a HUD warning that it has happened is really required so you can head back to top up the fuel tanks. My Pc sends me an emaiil warning if the UPS kicks in for some reason.

5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Sure, but the UPS is charged from main power, whereas the solar capacitor isn't. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't always want your base to use free energy before non-free energy. Unless you want the generators to also charge the solar capacitor (which would make it more of a battery); but then what's the difference between having energy as fuel in a fuel tank and as charge in the capacitor if the energy ultimately came from the fuel in the first place?

In any case, I definitely support the idea of low-energy-reserves notifications.

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. TheRealRonin

TheRealRonin Lieutenant

Mh, I never had any problems with solar panels. I run all my bases from solar only without any generator. You just need to have a look on your power consumption. I'm running the constructor (or two) over the day and at nights I go for exploring and mining.

One thing I've recognized while testing in creative mode. When you stop the time, your battery won't charge.

7. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I thought we were talking about survival mode, not creative. :oops:

8. TheRealRonin

TheRealRonin Lieutenant

Just mentioned it for the people doing testing in creative mode.

WolfEyes likes this.
  9. Neo Corricon

Neo Corricon Ensign

The capacitor is functional and determines your battery capacity. Each one provides 800 capacity. You can add 2 and your battery capacity will double. Check your base statistics after placing one, then two. I did not test beyond 2, so let us know if you put down 10 and get 8000 capacity?

10. bcbarnes

bcbarnes Lieutenant

I currently have 14 solar capacitors set up and have a capacity of 11200 (14 * 800 = 11200). This is in a game started in 9.2, currently playing in 9.4.

11. SnowdogJJJ

SnowdogJJJ Commander

It's an old thread but still useful
    Blockconfig.ecf love it
    SolarPanelEfficiency: 2.5
    MaxCount: 20
    I am, on a desert plant .. was hoping to see a worm but no luck ;-)

12. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

If you're looking for worms in the desert, go look in Osirus: New Dawn. They have a very impressive one.