FEATURE INFO Spawn, Respawn, Destruction settings of AI Vessels

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 28, 2020.

1. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I can see there is some lack of clarity in the words used. If I need sathium it matters not if it is ingots in a crate alien loot crate or combat steel block. Loot or salvage matter not if I get the sathium but the differences can make discussing the features more challenging. I will try to use loot/salvage combination going forward as an indicator that it is resources I am after no matter the source.

yataro79, mr_road and Kassonnade like this.
  2. An Alaskan Bull Worm

An Alaskan Bull Worm Lieutenant

There are certainly reasons to. If I build a ship that was heavily weapons focused and took out a ship (like a zirax frigate) which is much larger than it, I would much rather use the new frigate in the long run since I can turn it into a more reliable base and ship overall. And lets be real, you can defeat a much stronger ship than the one you are using in PvE due to the AI being mediocre.

Lyceq, Ambaire, mr_road and 3 others like this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I understand, good point for the size and AI. My main problem would be having to fit the ship to make thrusters less prone to being hit without adding too many blocks. In other words, if we can "capture" the ship it's because we were first able to stop it, which means its thrusters were rather accessible to destroy - if not, then the ship would be a wreck!

EternalHeathen likes this.
  4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

on another server, we had a player take over an npc ship. (what he did was blueprint it and convert it back to a ship in creative) He then made some modifications and it was a very good ship. With lots of Role playing made available due to its origin. It was a fun addition to the server.

A lot of the reason those ships are defeatable has more to do with the AI than the ship design.

Having said that I have no desire to take over a defeated alien ship, I can however see why others do.

Lyceq, yataro79, dichebach and 3 others like this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I don't want these ships either, that's not how I build anyway. Even if it's a mammoth CV I have no use for this in singleplayer.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  6. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Ahh but I wanted to make a museum of old dead relics:(

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Use the Codes, Luke !

They're all in the Content\Prefabs folder. Copy them into your own savegame\prefabs and Use the Codes !

Edit : in Saves\Blueprints\blablabla\... not "prefabs", sorry.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  8. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Right and use a few guns to blast holes and make it look like it's been in battle. Of course I can then call it museum of simulated dead relics. :rolleyes:
    I have gone so way off topic my bad. :eek:

9. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Captain

... TROPHIES! While I think a sufficient timer(10 mins?) would be the better solution, the devs have all the data and server access to figure out if that's viable.

If these ships need to despawn so quickly in this fashion, then when they poof, let them drop a special block depending on faction. A trophy that can be placed on my warship to warn other Zirax interlopers that I am not to be crossed. A necklace of ears for my ship.

10. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Oh how barbaric! :eek:
    So the Hirogen are now here too?o_O
    Should we be looking for Capt Janeway?:cool:
    <sigh> I did it again gone off topic:(

11. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    /updated > clarified loot (take stuff from containers) and salvaging ( use MT on blocks )

12. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Shame....Shame....Shame...:D

13. Spoon

Spoon Captain

While it is great that we now know the mechanics of these vessels now (thanks @Hummel-o-War ) , as @IMtz has pointed out, how are the new players meant to know?

As has been suggested many times, all vessels should be lootable and salvageable, if the player want them to be.
    I can't understand why thinking that making different mechanics for different types of ships would be good. It just leads to confusion and people complaining on forums.
    Let the player or server admin decide in the Settings menu what they want for each vessel type. Then its down to the player about performance issues, like it is with graphic settings. Each player can then find out which settings is best for them. It opens up the game a lot more.

14. Asmodan

Asmodan Lieutenant

Do (O)PV respawn after you have destroyed them? And if they do what is needed to stop the respawning?

15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

@Spoon
    The "normal" or "common" way to get Info about something I do not know is to Read/Search;) ( I know, I know - Males does not read Manuals...)

@Asmodan I would assume the removal of the Space Bases present?
    Planetside its the destruction of Drone Bases and Patrol Vessel HQ...

Asmodan likes this.
  16. spanj

spanj Captain

I've mentioned before but happy to put this in every thread that covers this topic.

I believe a delay timer on the self destruct of these vessels will solve both the issue for the player of not being able to loot/salvage important components.
    And, the issue of space litter clogging up playfields.

The instant self destruct is, in my opinion, a bad 'feature' that will only go to discourage players and leave a bad taste in their mouth, probably leading to many quitting all together.

If you want to make it more interesting, the self destruct could start from the moment the ship is disabled (generators/thrusters/all weapons destroyed), this would work in line with military practice to scuttle rather than let a ship be captured. The player is then in a race to core the ship which will delay the time for another 5 minutes or so putting their own core in delays for another 10 minutes for example. Ultimately the ship will self destruct and the playfield kept clear of litter and the player is able to get the deserved reward for their effort of defeating an OPV.

Lyceq, SirOwen, Ambaire and 20 others like this.
  17. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Yes. The timers can be set in the playfield yamls individually (check then 1st post and the files/folders referenced)

Kassonnade and Asmodan like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Captain

Very true mate. That is why I ask question on here to find out about the game.
    You don't find everything while doing Searches. Sometimes it's not there and sometimes there are loads of threads to read. Then finding out that things have changed since the last thread.
    But thanks for answering the question.... ;)

19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I'll put that info to the ingame Empyriopedia anytime soon.

20. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Is there a technical reason why orbital patrol vessels and space defense vessels can't use the same "timer to self destruct' that freighters do?

This also puts power in the hands of custom scenarios to increase or decrease the timer as they wish, allows players a certain time to loot, and thus still feels rewarding for the player and feels immersive.