FEATURE INFO Spawn, Respawn, Destruction settings of AI Vessels

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

SBD Ships will keep spawning as long as the POI they're defending exists

This is the big problem, any POI should only spawn a set number of CVs and they all should have the same timer after decored preferably +10 min

There is no reason why PVs, OPVs and SBD Ships should have different behaviors

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Do you mean... they use CHEATS !?

I would prefer the timer be set to 9,06 minutes, honestly.

Because... they're different ?

3. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

really? they look the same. How am I to know in-game that they are different?

mr_road likes this.
  4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I am repeating this question because I have a serious concern. The answer will determine if the concern is real, and I do not want to clutter this thread if the point is moot.

What happens to the vessel if I do not disable the vessel I just run away.

5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Strictly speaking, they operate in different environments and contexts.

Why not ask @Kaeser why he thinks they should all behave following the same rules ?

6. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

because I fundamentally agree with him.

now if each ship type were represented by a different model voxel or solid and could be identifiable so the differences in behavior were tied to something I could identify, I would reconsider.

It is my opinion that anything I spend time and resources on to kill/disable I should be able to loot/salvage.

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Maybe he has other reasons than yours so I ask anyway.

First thing that comes to my mind is that many CV weapons don't work on planets, so opponents can be adjusted accordingly. Not saying it's the case or eveything is setup logically, but ships do exist in contexts. Ships defending bases follow a different scenario than the ones following a path for "patrol. Here again, different context.

That I don't care about, we can all mod the game to our liking.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  8. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

No cheat, simple logic, there is no reason for backup to loop indefinitely, makes no sense in any context otherwise Zirax would have long conquered all planets in the galaxy if their forces were infinite

As for the ships, what environment they operate makes no difference since they are all CVs and specially because the underlying problem we have and are trying to solve is performance

Simple solution to all of them is to have a timer, one we can change so every player can adapt it to their system and game style and mode, MP or SP and specially one that would not leave players wondering what is this?... a SBD an OPV a Freighter?......

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Ambaire, yataro79, mr_road and 3 others like this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Freighters should definitely have a very distinctive design, and the most logical to have a longer timer, IMO.

10. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Even simpler solution would be to write a few lines of code that specified a random number of SBDs to send between X and Y . . . whatever integers are deemed appropriate. Then, set ALL despawning items in the game to 6 hours. See how performance goes. Drop it to 5 if necessary, then 4, then 3, ah there we go the sweet spot 2.25 hours . . .

rapidly despawning loot = horrible un-immersive game play experience.

11. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

That ability to identify thing is why i suggested elsewhere in the forum that it may help if the Vessels affected by those systems could have some kind of initials amended to their name.

However I am not sure of the complexity of the coding involved, ideally a 3 Character Indicator could be apended when the vessel is created by the same function that creates that instance of the vessel.

However if its more complicated, such as needing to duplicate the entire vessel asset i can certainly understand why that might not be good.

Would something like a 3 Character Indicator in the name help with the frustration?

yataro79 and stanley bourdon like this.
  12. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Every single drop in the game should linger at least 5 to 50 times longer than it currently does if I'm approaching it strictly from a user experience standpoint and with the concepts of Survival Action game in mind (as opposed to arcade action game, which is how the 2 or 3 minute despawns on common drops makes the game "feel" to the end-user).

Ambaire, yataro79, mr_road and 2 others like this.
  13. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

How about a different colour and the acronym for the force they are part of.
    i would rather each force had a distinct ship but some form of identification would do

Kassonnade likes this.
  14. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

I suspect that color changes are much more complicated to do on the fly then adding the Acronym for their force into the name but i suppose it may be comparable if your talking about just changing the Color of the Name Displayed and not the actual ship.

Edit: Reminder/Disclaimer I am not part of the development team and have not seen the Game Design Documentation so I am not sure how difficult my suggestion would actually be to implement.

However I have worked with Unity(a little) and am basing the possibility of and potential methodology for doing so on that experience.

15. Ravis

Ravis Captain

Ships should unload based on dsl, if the players not around the ship doesn't need to be there anymore. I thought that was the point in thin spawn plates was to not have stuff appearing in front of the player to maintain immersion. With ships its sortof the same idea.

Inappropriate, mr_road and Germanicus like this.
  16. furia

furia Lieutenant

I'd like to bring up a couple points that don't seem to be getting enough attention on this topic.

First, the new player perspective. It feels like many of the veteran users of this forum and even some of the developers have forgotten or neglected to consider the new player experience and how mechanics like the one being discussed here will be confusing or even discouraging for not just new players, but anyone who doesn't read the forums to understand these behind the scenes rules.

If you're a new player and you kill a spider, a zirax troop, or a drone, you have plenty of time to reach that entity and loot it. You are taught this by the game over repetition of the task. If you capture a POI, you can take all the time you like to core it, loot it, salvage it. If you go into space and beat a difficult space POI, you can do the same.

Things change though when you defeat enemy vessels. The only one that makes sense is freighters. Defeat a freighter and a timer starts, you have a chance to loot it, salvage it a bit, then it explodes. You get your prize and the playfield is cleaned of the wreckage. It's different from normal POIs but it's close enough to make sense. Things stop making sense with PPVs and OPVs. Kill a planetary vessel and instead of a self destruct you get an immersion breaking message saying it will respawn. You get an unknown amount of time instead of a self destruct countdown, then the ship just disappears into the air. OPVs just instantly destroy all of their devices and then despawn in seconds, leaving you asking "What's the point?" These cases break the established in game rules and they make no sense from a logical/immersion standpoint either.

Look at it this way:

You take the time to kill a spider: You can loot it.
    You take the time to kill a zirax: You can loot it.
    You take the time to kill a drone: You can loot it.
    You take the time to kill a troop transport: You can loot it.
    You take the time to kill a POI: You can loot it + salvage it.
    You take the time to kill a freighter: You can loot it + salvage it (until it explodes).
    You take the time to kill a OPV: You get NOTHING.

One of these is not like the other and doesn't follow the established rules of the game. It so jarring that it's reported as a bug, rightfully so.

The other major point I wanted to bring up is the idea that something would be hard coded (the vessel self destructs) and not allowed to be changed in order to 'protect' the players from themselves essentially by not letting us accidentally flood the playfield with wreckages. If I'm a server operator, I can already ruin the quality of the game in any of 100 different ways. You not giving me access to this 1 setting isn't going to change that, it's only going to take control away from me and not let me host the game I'd like to host.

17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

You're a pest.

Hahahaaaa. No, but seriously, there's not one way to see this, as blowing up a spider should only yield spider chunks, and blowing up a ship could as well be the same. Players have been brainswashed through years into believing things should be salvageable to the core, we're lucky the devs don't simply decide to just make POIs and ships blow up and kill players if they're too close.

18. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

let me fix that for you
    "The developers are lucky the devs don't simply decide to just make POIs and ships blow up and kill players if they're too close."
    because no one would play that game

19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well players make hideously intricate POIs with vicious hidden traps and the game still lives. For the amount of content that objectively needs fixing and balancing, nobody should have been playing that game for years, if I was to believe you.

20. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

but I can not blow up a spider I can only kill it even if I overkill it with a 6 rocket volley from my SV it is just dead and I can loot it. The same goes for ships It is extremely difficult to blow it up. (doable in-game with enough ammo and time but not practical) I can blow part of it up and eventually disable it. And then loot/salvage what is left. Lots of people mention that militaries have destroyed or scuttled equipment and this is true but none that I know of have managed to completely vaporize the entirety of there equipment. What is left may not be able to be picked up and immediately used by the enemy but given enough time and it will be looted and salvaged. If you need an iron pipe you will eventually find one especially if all you need it for is to beat the nincompoop that failed to deactivate the detonation charges.

Inappropriate, Ambaire and dichebach like this.