Spawning Blueprint Loses Wings

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by XLJedi, Jun 27, 2022.

1. XLJedi

XLJedi Lieutenant

Build: 1.8.2
    Mode: various
    Mode: Creative Blueprint

SERVER NAME: n/a Single Player

Reproducibility: Happens repeatedly with a blueprint of mine
    Severity: (for me) High (devs) Meh LOL
    because I can't upload this to the workshop with wings that won't spawn

Type: Blueprint Block Spawning Error

Summary:
    My craft blueprint using the modular wing will spawn in Creative where it was first (Alt-O) saved as expected, but if I try to spawn it in a new Creative, Survival, or Freedom game, the wing parts will not spawn.

Description:
    I am using two Modular Wing pieces as vertical stabilizers. The modular part is: "Angled Tapered (Small)". I opened a new "Creative Game 1" in the latest version 1.8.2 and (Alt-O) saved the blueprint with the wings attached. If I spawn in "Creative Game 1" the wings look fine.

I open a new "Creative Game 2" and spawn the same blueprint and the modular wings are gone. If I close "Creative Game 2" and reopen "Creative Game 1" (where the blueprint was saved) the wings are there again on spawn.

The attached screenshots show how the same blueprint spawns with wings in "Creative Game 1" and without wings in "Creative Game 2" or any other new Creative, Freedom, or Survival game.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Build simple craft with modular angled wings and blocks as shown below
    2) Save blueprint
    3) Spawn blueprint in current instance: it's fine
    4) Spawn craft in a new or different save game: the wings are gone

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    See my updated screenshots below on how to reliably reproduce the error/bug.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  2. XLJedi

XLJedi Lieutenant

I have isolated the bug.

It is related to two specific parts that overlap (but are allowed) within the blue hitbox frame of the angled wing pieces.

[​IMG]
    The above two yellow parts are allowed to be placed within the hitbox of the angled wings. The resulting blueprint will spawn with those yellow blocks inside the instance of the Creative game that you Alt-O saved the blueprint in just fine. However, in any new game instance, the yellow blocks will prevent the angled wings from spawning.

This took most of my morning to isolate and figure out, I hope you take steps to fix it.

I also note that positions 1 and 3 below (inside the angled wing hitbox) are allowable at design time whether in Creative, Survival, or Freedom mode. The problem only crops up when trying to spawn in the resulting blueprint in any new game instance. Works fine spawning in the version of the save game you created it in. Which made it difficult to figure out.
    [​IMG]

My hope is a fix would allow the blueprint to spawn in as created. My fear is the fix will just always disallow the yellow blocks from being inside the blue hitbox regardless of creative, freedom, survival.

I can manually fix it in all instances by adding back the missing wings. However, this bug prevents me from uploading my design to the workshop and having to explain why the wings are missing and asking people to just add them to the craft at spawn time.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Ente, Pach, Germanicus and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ente

Ente Commander

I would like to add that it seems to fix itself in new (Vanilla) creative game instances if you load a different blueprint with a modular wing for spawning before spawning the one with the wings. You don't need to actually place the other blueprint, bringing it into the green spawn box is enough.

Didn't help on a RE Server however...

I also have an issues right now where such a ship with "blocks overlapping wings" is missing additional blocks in addition to the missing wings, after I spawned it in Survival. It got some invisible blocks instead. But I am not sure whether that is actually the same problem.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  4. XLJedi

XLJedi Lieutenant

I just tried this in a new vanilla creative game by loading diff blueprint with the modular wings first and it did not fix itself.

As to your invisible block comment: In my design, if I remove the yellow blocks and spawn the BP in so the wings are present, it also gains two invisible blocks in positions 1 and 3 from my pic above. In which case, to repair the missing blocks, I have to then remove the wings and copy/paste blocks over the invisible blocks, then delete them for "clean" space, then put back my wings and yellow blocks. Easier to just spawn without the wings and drop those in.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  5. Tempus X

Tempus X Ensign

For what it's worth, I mentioned this with a less fleshed out answer (Thank you XLJEdi for isolating!) to Taelyn with a couple of my blueprints a week or three ago. I was unable to determine why it happened with my solar panels.

To add this to what XLJedi said regarding overlap of blocks that is "allowed", my starter base uses the "Solar Panel 2 (Slope)" which has no backing feet/stand - just a sloped panel, and it causes overlap with blocks and was not spawning in either. So this definitely seems applicable to, i would venture, all blocks that have overlap.

XLJedi likes this.
  6. XLJedi

XLJedi Lieutenant

Didn't realize it applied to other sloped blocks, but makes perfect sense. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I was using those solar panels in a recent build and I specifically avoided placement of anything in the solar panel hitbox area so I would not trigger the bug at spawn.

I hope it gets fixed!