Starter World Previews

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Starscorcher, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

So i have been attempting to customize the Starter Worlds of my Scenario's Preview Images

in each Playfield Folder that has the playfield.yaml file i have a preview.jpg , the game does not read these files
    they are all less than 500kb all saved as JPEG

what it does seem to do is read a default image from the Content\Extras\PreviewPics folder or identical files
    so i tried changing these also, and still, the custom images don't load but the original default ones load

is there a file path set someplace in the playfield configs I can't locate?

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I would have thought the preview pic had to be put in your scenario folder, simply, like...

Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\(yourscenario)\preview.jpg

I guess you re-started new games after each change you made ?

3. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

The Scenario Preview.jpg works fine its the preview.jpg for each Starter World that does not

And Yes i have started a new game after each change made

4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

If you look in the game's default "playfields" folder, the preview pictures are either absent (so not a starter world), or have a preview_empty.jpg, and some also have a simple preview.jpg...

For example, look at "AridStarter" >> only preview_empty.jpg

5. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

Yes and the issue is that when you replace those with your own or create your own with the same name the game still loads the default ones from elsewhere

So if i use a copy of the TemperateStarter , and change the pic's the original temperate preview.jpg still loads, if I create a completely custom world it doesn't matter what image I place it loads the default space image

So the Scenario regardless of what images are in the Playfield Folders is loading the default images from another location.

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

But did you try naming the pics preview_empty.jpg, in either folder ?

7. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

Yes i have tried with just preview.jpg , with preview_empty.jpg and with a copy of each

8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I am a bit confused with the new Galaxy config, and how the sectors.yaml works with it. Normally, your playfields should be referenced in your scenario's sector.yaml and - I guess - use the appropriate pictures... I have no clue. Maybe @ravien_ff could help you here or someone with more experience with scenarios ...

9. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

well i just took my testing one step further

out of curiosity i hosted the scenario on another PC via a dedicated server
    then i went to the Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Extras\PreviewPics
    folder on my Client Computer ( so separate to the scenario )
    i edited the images in this folder , then opened Empyrion and Joined the game running on the dedicated server
    the Clients Edited Images are what the scenario loads for the previews, not the images in the scenario

so someplace in the code, the game is no longer loading the images from the scenario folder. but instead from the local Machine

So i took the step one further again, this time I loaded my custom images into the Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Extras\PreviewPics directory, the game loaded them, rather than the default ones

and in my scenario, I have the images loaded in the relevant Playfield Folders and the Folder Scenarios\<MyScenarioFolder>\Content\Extras\PreviewPics
    they don't work either so I'm really unsure of the structure they need to be in

For a scenario, the Game should not be loading Local Files over the scenario files, as players could, in theory, have different files in those folders to the Server.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Kassonnade likes this.
  10. Starscorcher

Starscorcher Lieutenant

the PlanetType:
    line in the playfield.yaml seems to determine which image the game loads
    as if I set this to Arid, the preview changes to the Default Arid image, change it to Snow and you get the Snow image

but again drawn from the Local Clients Machine , not the Dedicated server or Scenario Files

Kassonnade likes this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Can't use custom starting planet preview pics sadly.

12. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

That's very bizzare, because I remember this functionality working previously with no issue. Is there a reason why it is disabled?

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I don't know why in single player, but on servers it's disabled to save bandwidth I remember them saying.
    Same reason why custom PDA icons don't work in multiplayer either.