Story Part II - Chapter 7: Sigma Fulcrum

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    "Story Chapter 7: Sigma Fulcrum

You finally made contact with the remains of the UCH - at least with some secret organisation named Galactic Liberation and Defense (GLaD), founded by your girlfiend Commander Alex Lamarr, Captain Jennifer Zerogen and others from the remains of the UCH fleet that did not want to join Vice Admiral Perez just sitting on their hands and waiting for the things to happen.

Thanks to your information, the GLaD was able to carve out the outlines of a big picture about what was and what is happening in Andromeda - but there are still a few blind spots that need to be filled soon.

In the meantime, the GLaD needs your help with some other problems.."

2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

So Alex Lamarr is always going to be female, even if the player character is female?

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Yes. At least for now, until the devs find a way to spawn NPCs depending on players choices.

4. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

The devs could always say that Alex is your partner...

I had a very hard time in the station, it was difficult to tell the hostiles apart from the pirates.
    I accidentally ticked off the entire base with a few stray shots.

5. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Yeah.. it is quite easy to kill the pirates ... i am afraid there is only little we can do here (other than spawning no other NPC..which would make the station empty)

Bonus hint (spoiler): When you get to the core and destroy it, there is a replacement core in one of the containers. Place it and all the sentries will kill all the remaining pirates ;)

Fractalite and Robot Shark like this.
  6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Perhaps only spawning in hostile mechanoids and not spawning in hostile cyborgs?
    Limit the hostile spawns to a unique NPC type to make then easier to identify?

When I entered the core room the camera started swaying like I was intoxicated.
    I was able to get past that by using god mode, just a quick toggle on and off.
    I was avoiding the containers because I wanted to keep the pirates neutral and started flipping switches on the walls.
    Only to be killed in the explosion. I guess thats one way to get back to the ship.

I made my way back to show the damage, it took out quite a lot when the core blew.

20201205165658_1.jpg

GoldDragon likes this.
  7. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

Is there a simple or fast way to become neutral to Pirates? The backup corvettes are pretty easy to smash up, but the base turrets are taking forever to get through.

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    There are two, even three ways to open the hatch to get to get to the core

1. with the dialogues (the way is used in the pda mission)
    2. bring the levers in the core room in the correct state
    2a you can either try and error, but the lamps in the room indicate if you are on the right track
    2b the symbols in the core room are also spread through the station. Each one has a lamp/flare set to either green or red which indicates the correct setting in the core room

9. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

On a side note, as you can see in the screenshot, the core is gone (with over half of the core room).
    But it did not fulfill the Destroy Core objective.

10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Because it is not intended this way (technically YOU did not destroy the core, but the explosive charges. No way I can trigger that I am afraid)

Robot Shark likes this.
  11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I will reply the mission and leave the switches on the walls alone this time.
    I was leaving the containers alone because I did not want to turn the pirates hostile, oh well.
    Time to kick a hornets nest. :)

12. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

This time I did not randomly throw switches on the walls.
    I put an explosive charge on the core.

Yeah, I died again.
    The third time I tried, I shot the core. This time I survived.

So, do not randomly throw switches in the core room, do not use an explosive charge.
    Maybe a warning message?

20201206202723_1.jpg

13. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Lol, brute force is not always the answer and if you aggravate the pirates that will be even more evident, in this case there are 2 alternative ways to brute force, the switches work, it's a puzzle, you just need to pay attention to what's happening while you try them on or off but in fact what Hummel was trying to say is that you can take the core if you follow the mission instructions....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Robot Shark and Hummel-o-War like this.
  14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Take the existing core after it has been placed?
    I did not think you can un-place a block. I did find the replacement admin core, but that made the pirates hostile when I opened the container.

Either way, I have downloaded the new version and started a new game.
    I have used cheats to FF to the pirate base and I will try that out.

On a side note, I noticed there is no map marker to talk to the bartender, and (in the previous version) the bartenders dialog does not appear unless you speak to the vendor at Grandpa's Shotguns first. I made sure to talk to grandpa first this time but did not test the dialog not appearing if you go straight to the bartender. <sigh> I should have remembered to test that.

15. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

No, what I mean is, you can beat the station without blowing all up and you have several alternatives to do so but if you follow the mission instructions you will get hints to what to do and when

No there is no pointer to the bar but it's easy to find, regarding the dialog can't recall if it was a requirement or not to be honest

16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I started a new game so I could find out.
    It's a requirement, no talking to Ben unless you talk to Grandpa first.

17. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I will be honest though, I do not see how you can say there is a solution that does not turn the pirates hostile.
    I go into the core room and talk to the AI.
    The AI opens the core hatches.
    In one of the 4 alien containers there is an admin core, but the pirates will go hostile the instant you open the container.
    Shoot the existing core to destroy it, further ticking off the pirates.
    Replace it with the admin core and wait for the fireworks to settle.
    Pray your ship is still intact when to make your way back to it.
    But, if you had parked a SV in the landing bay it is most likely already destroyed because of the hostile mecha that have been spawning in there while you have been exploring the station.

Sadly, if the puzzle you mention is color-coded I will never be able to solve it. Color blind.

18. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Ok sorry bout that, yeah green lights will start lighting up as you get the code right and a big red one will start flashing if you're in the wrong way but regardless you did it....

I never said you can't turn the pirates against you, you just need to be careful when you do it, if you're out in the open space when that happens then you better load a previous game if you did that when you replaced the core than the station itself will take care of that little problem for you and your reputation will not even drop that much if you destroy the core and only access the container after

And yeah your cv may have some damage after this but will be minor or even non existent if you only turn them against you by destroying the core, after that only the remaining pirates will be firing at you and those have to contend with the station sentries and turrets remember...

And lets be honest you'll have a huge station with traders on working for you, a small vessel is a small price to pay isn't it?

Robot Shark likes this.
  19. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I was thinking about some poor player if they landed a SV in the docking bay and left their CV somewhere else.

You can see a picture of how I park my CV in the screenshot thread. It's thin enough that it fits between the truss blocks, with 2 rocket launchers pointing into the pirates landing bay. :)

Not everyone approaches problems in the same manner, remember that I like popping cores by leaving an explosive pack on them.
    Which has really bad results in the POI in question. :rolleyes:

On to the next mission, tomorrow.

Kaeser likes this.
  20. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

So, what's the solution if you declared war on the pirates in Totally Overpowered? Farm Zirax for a week?

I'm thinking GLaD should give you a one-time opportunity to pay a bribe and recover your pirate reputation. A hundred thousand credits sounds fair. It's a lot, but certainly not an unreasonable sum for a player who already has a CV.