Structure lighting LOD inconsistent between planets and space

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by Garaman, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Build: 1.8 3842 (also in 1.7.9, possibly earlier)
    Mode: Survival / Creative
    Mode: Single Player / Multiplayer

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Lighting

Summary: Structure light falloff is much greater and noticeably choppy when viewed on planet, and looks and feels much worse than it does in space where it is smooth and consistent.

Description:
    [Note: this is not new to 1.8 but for some reason I just noticed it. Barring performance concerns I'm hoping this can be addressed.]
    When viewing lights at a distance on a ship on a planet the light falloff is extreme enough that the opposite end of a large hangar can now be completely dark. Also when approaching the dark area the lighting increases in noticeable chunks instead of a smooth ramp. In space however the lights look fine and consistent with how they were in 1.7.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Load the attached save game. It is a creative session with two Carapace C7s loaded, one on planet and the other in space.
    2. Set time to approximately 10,000
    3. The character should be standing at the rear door. Notice that the far end of the hangar with the medical bay is completely dark.
    4. Walk forward to see the lighting increase in that area. Notice that the light increase is choppy and not smooth.
    5. God-mode up into orbit directly above the ship. Locate the other C7 there and repeat the process. The lighting will be much brighter and more consistent throughout the hangar area, and reflects what previous versions showed.
    Link to Carapace C7 on workshop if required: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2295394617

Screenshots:

View of C7 hangar in orbit, standing at hangar door (FOV = 75):
    [​IMG]

View of C7 hangar on planet, standing at rear hangar.
    [​IMG]

C7 hangar on planet as you walk forwards. This difference does not occur in orbit.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    jmaasing and ravien_ff like this.
  2. Ente

Ente Commander

Again, as with your other Bug report on space shadows, I don't think this is a Bug but rather working as intended. What we see here is that Empyrion apparently uses different maximum distances as to which light sources are drawn, for space and ground maps. Makes sense if you consider that ground has a lot more going on and is therefore already more taxing for your PC. Reducing some quality settings on ground will help to keep frame rates consistent between space and ground.

They could allow us to increase these distances via a setting, but it would hurt performance in some cases. Therefore sadly more of a feature request than a bug, imho. Even though I would love if they did allow us to increase that setting as per the capabilities of our machines.

Also someone should tell Jeff Randall to really do his (amazing!) workshop videos in space rather than on ground, because of this. At least for larger creations. ;)

3. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Absolutely true Ente. I do recognize that these are likely performance-related design choices. I only wanted to make sure they were aware of the inconsistency, so that they can possibly adjust the settings during their next performance pass.