SV/CV Hybrid Challenge!

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by T431, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Wacky kids and their new fangled hybrid whatsits.

A real gobstopper Lady. Thank you for sharing your hard work and vision.

monktk and Jenniphurr like this.
  2. T431

T431 Captain

I really like this ship, and it convinced me my rules needed changing.
    The "ugly" exposed design is definitely something I dig, but the fact it's compatible with a lot of SV's is even greater about it.
    Even my T4 Phantom can dock with it, if I park it slightly to the side.

Robot Shark likes this.
  3. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I moved the forward sentry guns so that the Cownose can dock to it, it may be easier to dock your ship now.

T431 likes this.
  4. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

@Jenniphurr did an awesome work. I do not bother with such detailing level when I build (function before looks ; ).

Since can dock several SV/HV to a CV, you could have sections of them all over to give a more detailed look, both inside and outside.
    How long they would last in combat is another matter. Rebuild after could also be a bit of work (just feed the too damaged to the BP factory maybe).

I probably will not submit any, since do not see much functional point in exposing small blocks when large combat steel blocks can take much more beating.

Kassonnade and Hicks42 like this.
  5. Tryst

Tryst Captain

If we had a means to make a pressurised docking ring, I'd say it's possible. the problem is that to keep a SV in a pressurised environment to allow you to pass between them can only really be done by placing the entrance to the SV halfway inside a docking bay door with the remainder outside.

I did try to make a SV Dropship that docked to an inset ring on the underside of the CX-900 Blockade Runner.
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806311522
    The 4 circular insets at the front in pic4 and pic5 shows how deep they are. I thought these would make for good docking rings. Sadly, even though I made them square and my SV was built inside them to ensure that they fit, undocking was easy but the SV then refused to re-dock due to crazy collision problems that should never have existed. The docking ring I'd created just refused to go inside the inset despite being inside it when I undocked. Of course there would have been no airtight seal but a shutter either side provided an airtight seal for each vessel with only a vacuum during transition between the shutters.

In short, the concept is possible but only by using makeshift methods like the hangar doors that will make it look really fugly.

6. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Not true. Forcefields can be used to provide a pressurized environment while allowing SVs to pass cleanly through the area. The one minor hiccup in this technique is, the forcefield "strip" does have a collision box (however tiny) and can make SV docking difficult if not accounted for in the design. The NXT makes liberal use of them across the top section, allowing for a fully pressurized CV environment while allowing the SV "Synthesis" component to dock seamlessly downward for interior/exterior detail and device use. It's a little fussy at first, but I've tested it repeatedly through various phases of construction and the only time it's given me any real trouble, there were a few stray "ghost" blocks on the SV that had appeared from the result of a bad mirror plane.

If you still have screenshots of your attempt, please share. :) Might be able to do some bug-whacking to help get it all working.

T431 likes this.
  7. Tryst

Tryst Captain

I started it in Dec 2016 and finally gave up after several attempts in April 2016. As you can imagine, anything that old has been deleted along with the save files.

8. T431

T431 Captain

Whew, my submission is finally done. It took a while, but man was it worth doing.
    Here I present: The T4 Nymph and T4 Nimbus!
    20180314194935_1.jpg
    20180314194449_1.jpg
    The T4 Nymph is a SV that can do basically everything a SV can do, and the T4 Nimbus compliments it perfectly, giving it access to growing plots, a medical station, longer warp range and an advanced constructor!

T4-Nymph: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1330986682
    T4-Nimbus: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1330987033

I hope you like it.

9. northcoaster76

northcoaster76 Ensign

HOLY WOW.

This is so good I think I'll just give up on this game entirely (for like 20 minutes).

Jenniphurr likes this.
  10. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

Thank you!

northcoaster76 likes this.
  11. T431

T431 Captain

Thanks for scaring everyone away from my challenge by making something noone can beat

Jenniphurr and northcoaster76 like this.
  12. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

i didnt mean too! also i have a build that i am working on now ghat i am going to submit to this challenge. so ill post updates here once i have more.

T431 likes this.
  13. T431

T431 Captain

I know how it goes, sometimes you trip and whoops, a masterpiece.

I look forward to what you'll come up next with though, you surely know how to build nice things.

Jenniphurr and northcoaster76 like this.
  14. JDaremo Fireheart

JDaremo Fireheart Captain

Thanks for that. I was still puzzling over how to do that without making a monster SV since the SV to CV blocks are 3:1

15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I did something that could "qualify" in concept but it's a ship from a TV series so I will not put it in the challenge. In fact I posted it on the "What did you do in Empyrion today" thread two days ago, unaware of this challenge. I did in in a little less than 3 days so quality is mediocre, but since @T431 drew my attention here well... It's just to show the idea.

Eagle_2_views.png

SV "undocking" :

undocked.png

There is a very small gap between the two ships when docked, and the doors are aligned:

docking_details.png

SV part...

SV_details.png

Now don't be fooled by the boxy looks of the SV : it is very fast and nimble, has good armor, space and weapons (visible each side of the front door). I could make a double door for the front / back, but in principle this is an exploration/ work combo ship, as was mostly the case in the TV series "Space 1999" from which it is inspired (copied...).

Another view :

top-side-views.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Siege Inc., ion_storm, rucky and 7 others like this.
  16. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Captain

Great idea! To make this combo even more functional we absolutely must have CV2CV docking.

Kassonnade and rucky like this.
  17. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

+1

and, @Kassonnade GREAT SHIP DESIGN !!!

Kassonnade likes this.
  18. Warboy

Warboy Lieutenant

Like the idea of the challenge, played around with a bit, ugly as sin, but works.

The Turtle CV has 1 equipped dropship in the front, and 2 fighters on the wings.

Needs a lot of work, so haven't posted it yet, just a proof of concept for the challenge.
    20180330133121_1.jpg 20180330133130_1.jpg 20180330133159_1.jpg 20180330133320_1.jpg

19. JDaremo Fireheart

JDaremo Fireheart Captain

still working on my plans for this one. glad it doesn't have a time limit.
    the more I think about it, the more some of the rules and bonuses bug me.

- Making the CV a Mobile base would break Rule #1 of the challenge (Unless it is an "All-Or-Nothing" thing), along with making the SV incredibly huge to make it so the interior of the SV is larger than the interior of the CV thus missing out on the bonus. Just to make the interior larger, and make the CV a mobile base would also run the risk of making the SV larger than Class 5 and not to mention have thrusters everywhere to compensate.

I think I have a couple working models on paper finally for this . . . LOL