PLZ Retest and Re-Report Tear in the Terrain

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by Breave, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Breave

Breave Ensign

Build: 1.7 3632
    Mode:Survival
    SEED-ID: Not sure, I think I typed (137121731) temperate starter planet name was 'Roxgon'.
    Reproducibility: Not tried to reproduce
    Severity: Low
    Type: Graphical/Terrain
    Summary: Terrain Tearing Glitch
    Description:
    Happened during fresh start game play; just north of the com station; I had not begun mining the terrain yet so its not likely a deformation glitch. After I left the game (momentarily) and then resumed it again the tear did not reoccur.

Screenshot:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2685287713

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  2. VulcanTourist

VulcanTourist Lieutenant

Eleon staff say this never happens when they play the game and can't reproduce it, even though it's happened to many others who play the game. It occurs sporadically in quite literally every single game I have started, for five years now, going back to my earliest experience with the game. Last night when I started my first game with Build 3632, I observed it again within minutes of planetfall. It is often but not always associated with nearby harvestable deco. Morphing the adjacent terrain in any fashion seems to prevent it from reoccurring in the same locale; sometimes harvesting a nearby plant or rock eliminates it temporarily, but it often returns in the same location.

If Eleon really committed to fixing this, there would be an in-game worldspace bug reporting system that would snapshot the game state and worldspace details, package that with the saved game and send it off.

boolybooly likes this.
  3. Daimonicon

Daimonicon Lieutenant

I have exactly the same thing with the last version and for at least five patches before that.
    It's probably not worth opening a fresh bug report then.

Various holes in the floor in different places

Primarily on the starter planet, holes appear spontaneously somewhere in the ground again and again.
    Holes is actually not quite precise because they are triangular. You simply fall through if you have overlooked them. At least you are automatically reset on the surface.

I may be wrong but I think this mostly occurs where plants have been picked after they have grown. Or in places where you have uncovered a wreck, for example.

Other than the holes, sometimes the entire terrain is simply lowered or raised.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2708999816

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2708998181
    The little trough is mine. Behind it you can also see that the terrain was simply lowered or raised by the floating grass. There were also holes here, but they had disappeared at the time of the screenshot.

4. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

5. lendarker

lendarker Lieutenant

I've just had this happen in 1.7.5 on Manramaon. What I did:

Scoured the surface near the escape pod, i.e. mined rocks, harvested plants.

Then I dug a tunnel, around 22-22.5° downwards to "bedrock". The resulting tunnel was several hundred meters long (somewhere around 300-400 meters). I then set up a mobile fabricator, the water generator, and the thermal gen at the bottom and started to dig out rocks below to make room for a subterranean base and get the materials needed for a minimal HV (enclosed cockpit, small gen, small fuel tank, starter block) to sit out radiation storms and the likes in.

I returned to the surface twice, and the second time I did (next morning about sunrise), I had parts of the terrain disappear near the "entrance hole".

If you drop down, you fall...and are placed above surface level. Sometimes you take critical damage when this happens. Sometimes the terrain gets loaded/fixed during this recovery.

I managed to get "out" this way, then wandered further afield, and when I returned, the hole in the terrain was gone, which leads me to assume this is a bug in loading the terrain data as you get closer - in player modified terrain (e.g. tunnels).

Screenshot: https://pasteboard.co/vZ5x8Igq66By.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022