This has turned into a public debate about "trusted" servers. Care to weigh in?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Keith Hovey, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I dont even think it would take that. Think about all the lag, and all the problems hws has. That server has eleons blessing for good reason now dont get me wrong. They are a great contributor to our community. But they still have issues. Triple that. Now You have a pattern of eleon blessed servers being laggy, and having a lack of proper management in game. On top of that they will be very full, and the further problems that come with that. Now I think HWS will stay on top of it and do what they need to do, but it will be slow because they do have other responsibilities now. We have all had run ins with the other servers and I dont think any more needs to be said. It paints a picture i dont think anyone thought of and i dont see it working out well for anyone. Now granted i could be wrong and Id be glad if I were :). But I sincerely doubt it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Also that is EXACTLY why businesses do not advertise for other businesses. Should anything happen their customers blame them. Its not worth the risk to your brand. EVER

3. dfxdeimos

dfxdeimos Ensign

It's a non-issue.

Trusted servers are a great idea, other games do the same (e.g. Rust listing Rustafied under the official tab in their browser).

There is no plausible risk to Elon studios or their players.

Repier likes this.
  4. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Rust also has one of the most toxic communities that exist. Period.

But i agree It is needed here. There are a lot of bad servers out there and i hear stories about them all the time. It needs implemented carefully though or bad things happen that were perfectly preventable to people that dont deserve it.

No one has to listen to what im saying hahahahaha and anyone can debate it. Its not like I can stop it if I wanted to lol. I just dont want our community damaged by someone elses decisions. Thats all. And I will speak my mind when it comes to protecting it. Unknown skies has had thousands of dollars of investment from our community, we are one of two commercially backed servers, and we have an excellent reputation. We own our own hardware, we are community owned (I am just a representative), we contribute, and we do all we can within reason to maintain it all. On top of that we are regularly voted in top ranks, and our players contribute in the bug reports with every experimental version. We are just not loud nor do we advertise a lot.

5. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

"There is no risk to using the internet", says the guy with a dozen viruses and keyloggers running undetected in the background. :)

6. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

LOL That was brutal...

7. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

It seems to me that the TRUSTED brand here is assigned to a clique of long standing community members.
    Trusted for me just means ( we have influence & power over the community/devs/moderators )

Bad move.

The word trusted needs to be replaced with "Community active"
    The word trusted leads the average player into a false sense of security thinking they are on a server that is trusted, in the sense of trustworthy.
    As in the sense of being provided by trustworthy people who have had background checks ?
    When your trusted actually means "we post on forum and stuff"
    I have already had an acc on one of the so called trusted server and if that is what trusted is, haha i wont be applying.
    Why is stupid irrelevant **** like this being added anyway when there are still bugs that are ducking peoples day up for over a year ????

Your stupid tag also suggests that every other server is untrustworthy lol. pathetic joke.

They are not trusted servers, they are just servers comprising of forum participants.

There is nothing trusted about it in the slightest and using the word trusted was a grand oversight in my opinion.

Was this to bring the list down ?
    If you want to take a step back and take a look at the server list and ask you why its full of servers yet few players ?

Seems the average player really wants to play a survival game, but playing online they eventually run into repeated bugs like cv moving around planet and other ridiculous **** that people constantly have to beg admins to repair.

People get bored being in populated servers waiting in a queue of other people waiting to have problems fixed by admin.

This is why I just made my own server, I was on a populated server but the bugs and watching people type and complain was tiring and took the jam out of my sammich.

Anyway I have a nitrado rented server now 24/7 for my own purposes, simply because I can not rely on other players using eleons current multiplayer platform to supply and maintain a survival game for me for more than a period of 24 hours without a major bug raping my game day.

So thats another dedicated server into the list for the use of 1 man !

Daily setbacks are annoying so now I can maintain my own game when i get an issue.

Oh sometimes people join, thats cool too.

This multiplayer is a great game i love it guys !

I dont trust any of your servers ^^

Cyrus the Virus and Keith Hovey like this.
  8. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Man thats a lot to say lol But generally how we all feel here. I own a server, for the same reason you started one lol. Eventually a community spawned around it and it grew. I had a lot of friends and a lot of help :)

We thought the same thing. And considering we are working on 11 days with no other applicants being added... It seems to confirm it. I dont think this was well implemented. Ive seen a few of these discussions pop up in other forums and none of em are painting a pretty picture. I regret applying to say the least but Im glad our community is not on that list.

We too have had runins with one of the trusted servers and it was not a good one to say the least. There is even a few screenshots in a forum post somewhere about the server on here proving admin abuse lol. It was a while ago but it still happened and im sure the admins who did it are still there. We took about 10 of us over to pvp on another server (Its fun as hell by the way) and we got trolled, called names, cussed at, creatures spawned in our ships and bases, admins flying around during pvp, our ships got despawned repeatedly, they just kept removing their dead ships and respawning new ones till ours died. It was a mess. If we saw something like that, more had to.

Our server has not been too bad, but the Yaml files are a pain to work with now, and the editors all have small bugs that can wreak havoc. We also have disappearing CV's once in a while and a mess of other problems. I had to double down on our admins to even keep up. Good thing is with all the hard work we have moved up to #7 on our third party tracker.

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  9. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I personally feel that eleon should pay attention to third party trackers if they want to find servers that build stable communities. The data is already there that they want, you can get a clear picture of whats ACTUALLY going on outside the bubble this community seems to place itself in. You can get population statistics, uptime, websites, and a whole bunch more information from just this tracker alone. This is where i found my favorite before we had our own server, and where i place ads for ours. Look at any other third party tracker. These are the guys that are building successful servers. These are the servers that are "winning" if you want to be real about it. Peoples choice.

upload_2017-6-22_15-0-2.png

Attached Files:

10. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    I know about this page .. but you making an assumption that we just search for "large servers" or "large communities". This is not the case. We are searching for servers that provide a reliable service. And if it does not fit on mid-term, the lable can be removed as fast as we awarded it (remotely)

I really don't get all the hate that you are putting into this topic (and others too). Didn't you sign up for the Trusted Lable as well??

Repier, Taelyn and Frigidman like this.
  11. Marca666

Marca666 Commander

To me as a player, the Trusted label tells me that the administration is in order there and fair play.
    As far as administration goes, I played on a server where the owner kept spawning resources to people who kept nagging him to do it. Ships were also being spawned in. The frustrating thing is that happened after a couple of hours of already playing there. That's totally unfair and so annoying.
    However the biggest issue that I see is that donators get huge rewards. That is not being a donator but someone who's trying to Pay2Win. I don't mind if donators get access to special events, some building that's just there for looks, reserved player slots or even their own planet to go to. What bothers me is when people get weapons, resources, huge battleships and other things that will give them a huge advantage over others.

12. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Servers need to sign the Server Monetarization rules to get the lable.http://empyriongame.com/server-monetisation-rules/

..and will loose it if they change handling afterwards.

13. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Im not a great communicator through text hahahah. If i sound like im just plain hating thats not what im attempting to do. Though I guess since you guys assembled it this way you do think its a great idea and just dont understand the problem until you live it once. Thats true for a lot of things I guess. I just dont agree with how it was worded or executed but I do agree that in the end the impact will be trivial and probably only effect those who read the forums.

On the subject of me making assumptions about how you search for servers I assumed nothing. I just pointed out that there were some pre-selected, added to the list, and everyone else was made to wait during a crucial time for servers. A major release and the summer sale happened and those servers do get benefits that others do not for the time being as they are publicly trusted by eleon currently and the only ones on that list for 10 days and running during what is the only period of time servers gain real growth. it seems to be specifically catered to them for this period of time even if thats not the case.

14. Furious Hellfire

I do apologize if I came across as a little hateful, I love this game and so do many others.
    Though it really is that frustrating to know that multiplayer still needs work to be stable and here we are planting trusted labels on servers?

In the meantime others are having to buy servers just to maintain their own stable survival game :s

As far as the trusted server thing goes, well I guess thats why my official templated bug reports get ignored.

I am not powerful enough in the community to kick up a stink about it.
    No matter how serious the bug, I have no influence and if people like the community trusted server hosters post a bug, they will get gold carpet step into our office treatment.
    And then the game will be built around their recommendations.

Bug reporting and feature requesting is 100% pointless unless you in the eleon trusted clique.

And that trusted clique is nothing to do with servers being stable.
    Its just group of guys who routinely fondle each others sacks in a discord channel somewhere and dont even dare try and make out its anything other than that.
    Bunch of kids in a discord channel.

Trusted server ? too soon.
    no such thing
    most pointless feature added in the last 2 years.

Here is a good idea for eleon, not the forum writers but the guys who make the decision to consciously ignore its paying customers.

HAVE THE DECENCY TO READ AND REPLY TO EVERY DAMN SUGGESTION/BUGREPORT FROM THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE GIVEN YOU THEIR MONEY IN THE TRUST OF BEING PROVIDED WITH AN ONLINE SURVIVAL EXPERIENCE.

Everyone has paid and everyone deserves to be heard, everyone deserves a word. everyone deserves a response !

Every post I see that does not have an eleon response where it should have one, is a clear sign of failure in the ranks and a blatant mark of disrespect to those who posted and paid money for this game in good faith.

After what I have witnessed in the last couple of months, as a new player to the game, I have learned that eleon does not care about my bug reports, my suggestions, and I have learned that I do not get heard unless im in a discord somewhere playing with some dev teams balls.

Is this the impression, the picture eleon wants to paint of its community ?

TRUSTED SERVER means absolutely nothing to empyrion galactic survival players...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  15. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

They actualy do read every bug. And @Hummel-o-War or Pantera replies to most of them.

Should they stop codeing and anwser everything? Cause simple they wont have time to code
    anymore if they start anwsering. Everything gets read by Hummel or by the Devs
    That u simple dont see it or get a response doenst mean ur ignored.

No one is playing with the 'devs balls' and those trusted server dont get a golden carpet either.
    They dont get special threadment. They get nothing else then a light blue name in the browser

16. Furious Hellfire

There is no reliable services being provided by the public in empyrion at this time hummel ...

this is what i mean by too soon, you guys are trying to fill the pool and the foundations have even been filled in yet...

Lets bake a cake, first we will put on the toppings, and then we will somehow build the cake under it...

17. Furious Hellfire

Truth is they wanted to use the term "STABLE SERVER" but they knew that would never fly in a million years...

18. Furious Hellfire

no buddy they dont read and reply to every bug at all, if that were the case I would not be here saying they dont.

19. Furious Hellfire

reading a bug is one thing, at least mark it or answer it so the person posting can see they have been heard.
    very simple.

If eleon cannto cope with the demand of an online [player base making bug reports and feature requests then they are in the wrong line of workl.

20. Furious Hellfire

Let me tone this down a bit before i get misunderstood.

I really do love this game.
    I think Eleon have done amazing work here.
    I respect the fact too that they work damn hard and they work on a lot.
    The community really does chip in and is generally a very pleasant community.

I cannot fault eleons or the community dedication to the improvement of this game.

However everything I have said is valid !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.