Feedback Required Three things you absolutely LIKE about Empyrion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Wolfoot

Wolfoot Ensign

I love the simplicity of building and automatic interaction of modules.
    I love the builder community, the workshop is insane :)

Don2k7 and byo13 like this.
  2. Lhetre

Lhetre Commander

1) Building with a purpose. To defend (turrets, armour). To survive (food, oxygen, radiations). To move (HV/SV/CS)
    2) A galaxy to explore.
    3) Gathering resources.

3. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

You start with nothing and you end up with something you made, something you can love. The path you take in between is up to you. You do it your way, and you make what you want.

4. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

1. Building. EGS is the Absolute Champion of building. EGS and 7DtD are the only games that I make suggestions for, because they have the dedication to builders, and the talent to make these things happen.

Unlimited, unfettered building is what keeps me involved in a game long after the main goals have been completed.

Loose ends, missing block shapes, rendering distance, and texture anomalies are heartbreaking in light of the game's status as the GOAT of Building Games.

2. EDIT 12/13/2022. Labor of Love. I've been playing since 2016 and many of the above mentioned loose ends are still being worked on and fixed. Render distance has been tweaked and improved!

3. Building.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  5. Brehon

Brehon Lieutenant

1. Building/creating (tho I wish I had circular options).
    2. Artstyle (except player character)
    3. Playfields and types - so well done.
    4. Dialogue system - outstanding
    5. Crafting system
    6. General game feel / style / visuals
    7. PvE elements / diversity / accessability
    8. Player progression (tho not progression speed)
    9. Feeling of accomplishment

kathiki1 likes this.
  6. kathiki1

kathiki1 Ensign

One of the most shocking moments was when I started observing how meticulously the dance moves in that space bar have been implemented into the game. AMAZING! Played so many other games with similar bars and music and dancing, this one is simply out of this world.

I am going to agree with the poster above - Brehon- especially for that feeling of accomplishment in the game.

I think the killer feature of the game is how easily you can import other people's creations and then modify them to your liking.

My respect to the developers and thank you for this wonderful game!

7. Peter Conway

Peter Conway Commander

Picking only three is difficult,

It's Open world
    It's Modable... so has the potential of more content than a fleet of Octopuses could shake many sticks at!
    It's still being worked on by the devs (who seem to listen)

But those things are only part of the story, I'm still scratching around exploring planetside and I'm trying to build a myriad of things in the Creative mode.

So, yeah love it

Kassonnade likes this.
  8. Searcher

Searcher Lieutenant

yeah, it's hard to name only 3.

1) i absolutely love designs of ships and bases, they are amazing! every faction has a style. every POI looks alive. or as it was alive before. it's hard to believe sometimes that they use the same blocks. very beautiful and clever designs like if developers were forced to live in the copies of those buildings for a few days.

2) brotherhood of Farr is so cool! so much effort was put in it. full scale museums! wow! initiation room is a perfect intrigue. can't wait when story line will get there. since it was mentioned in the last chapter it must be soon. wastelanders are cool too, all those crawlers, cargo ships, cargo ports, cranes, fighter carriers. wish they were operational but still very cool.

3) the seamingless of the world in spite of the scale and detalization. i don't know how you did this but this is outstanding! you walk on a grass between some trees then step into a ship, close the door, pull a switch that starts all the lights and engines and everything and you seat in front of controls, push some buttons and here you are in space in that ship. you see another planet in the sky, you point there and zoom, you are there. you land, turn off the ship and walk out. and you are on a rock with lava all around, and in spite of loading screens and some short freezes it really feels like you really came there from a distant world and still it has the same level of details as every other place you see in the sky and can go to. this is mind blowing!

9. XLJedi

XLJedi Lieutenant

1) Building and sharing my creations

2) Setting up a network of supply hub and teleport stations

3) Explore and conquer new worlds and regions of space

10. poomanchu

poomanchu Ensign

1. All the hv, sv, cv and ba I can build!
    2. The different factions I can gain rep with or lose.
    3. The overall atmosphere of planets and space.
    4. The music is pretty good and puts me in the mood to explore. bow chika wow wow

cmguardia likes this.
  11. blooddragon606

blooddragon606 Captain

1. The challenge of mining valuables from a high-G world and realizing I cannot bring it up in one trip.
    2. Sunset on a moon, with the parent gas giant's rings in view. 'nuff said.
    3. Farming. Good, old-fashioned farming. Everybody has to eat, so it's always saleable.

cmguardia likes this.
  12. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

Nice day for fis- ...enjoyable plant work, ain't it?

13. Darkwhistle

Darkwhistle Ensign

1. The new space start. Like the puzzle solving aspect with multiple ways of solving according to play style. ( Need a gold bar or gold ore in the initial playfields space starting system somewhere because there's a lot of spacewalks. And I prefer not to leave space.)
    2. The expansive galactic map with exploration goals that actually grant useful benefits.
    3. For the first time ever the other day I saw a pirate vessel attacking an npc vessel, which gave me the opportunity to save them.
    4. In general, the view of the sky, sunrise, sunset, night sky, are wonderful.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    cmguardia, Slam Jones and zaphodikus like this.
  14. ShelLuser

ShelLuser Ensign

Hi gang!

Well, I realize the thread is dated, but it's also pinned so I feel safe; meh, I needed to vent a little ;) Three things I absolutely like (aka LOVE) about 'Empyrion'? I can do that!

1 => The crafting system

I've played a lot of Minecraft; both vanilla and modded alike where the focus was usually on 'tech'. And honestly? I don't mind a little "deep crafting" as I like to call it, so in other words: manually crafting components that are required to build up something bigger. Yah, so as we all probably know Empyrion does this "a little" different and it still impresses & satisfies me today.

And for the record: I'm not saying this just because it's easier, but more so because I think it makes perfect sense. I mean... we're in a sci-fi setting, my suit has a build in personal crafter which can make all sorts of stuff. I have a PDA which has access to a pletora of data. So why wouldn't a 'crafter' be able to sort out dependencies? IMO it's both fitting and impressive.

2 => The games mind blowing logistics

So I have a small base, darn proud of that critter, and it has a constructor (duh!). I really appreciate the fact that my constructor can use one storage for input ("raw mats") but then actually dumps all of its crafted utens in yet a different storage unit ("main storage"). Not to mention that I can acces all of it myself whenever I want to, even when I'm outside my base.

Or what about my hover vehicle? I can actually function as a "relay" between both constructions in order to quickly move items across.

Or what about my "wifi"? ;) I just connect my toolbar to the main storage in my base and ... building expansions has never been more easy because I now have access to my full storage inventory.

Or what about repeating this process (but with less radius) while I'm "on the road" (planet? ;)) with my hover vessel?

But also... what about me grabbing some fibers and protein, then using my survival constructor to, well, build stuff while I'm still busy doing other things?

3 => Total freedom in playing, do things YOUR way!

This last item was actually a lot harder to decide on than I imagined when I started this post; almost couldn't make a pick ;)

But yah... the freedom. There is a blueprint option, but at the same time you can just as easily ("sorta") build your stuff in survival. Speaking of which... although Empyrion doesn't provide a quick & dirty "gamemode switch" it's actually incredibly easy to switch into a "creative -like modus" (now referring to the 'gm' & 'im' commands). Even better: "im" doesn't have to affect my actual survival gameplay at all. I mean, if I press 'tab' (or F4) I'm still "limited" to the stuff I have collected so far.

Switch to creative in Minecraft and p00f goes your personal crafting grid and that can sometimes become quite a drag, especially when you want to test stuff!

Now... I know the OP says 3. But there are more "cheaters" in this thread and although that is a very lame excuse normally... meh... I'd like to mention the developers team dedication as a special point. When I started playing Empyrion it was still in EA on Steam, building a base could be quite daunting at first. Yah, so look where we are now?

As such also a warm thank you to the dev team for all their hard work & efforts.

15. Dragon

Dragon Captain

-Living world: Something that still make this game stand out. Voxel building games tend to be empty sandboxes with nothing much to do apart from building things. Empyrion gives us a lively world to play in, especially with AI vs AI improvements and factions now reacting to each other. There's stuff going on around you. You can even play the game like a typical space sim because there's plenty of places to interact and trade with. With station services available to do all the refuelling, rearming and repair work for you.

-Immersive surroundings: Maybe not Freelancer-style "space scenery" but still, standing on a station watching a battle raging in the distance with actual planets and asteroid fields as a backdrop is quite a sight to behold. Or standing on the balcony of a planetary base watching a bright gas giant rise over the landscape, with some raptors hunting around in the grass below.

16. Atola

Atola Commander

I love HVs. I like how they have developed into the king on planets. How they moved (and how they could move again?!) up walls and into enemy bases while controlling the situation and not depending on speed to run away. How they can be so efficient. How I can spend a week roaming over a planet in my HV without the need to go to a base- or to even have one.

17. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

1. The fact that every point of light in the skybox is a star with planets that you can travel to is still a bit mind-blowing to me. The size and scope of the game is nothing less than impressive.

2. The block-based building system allowing for near infinite creativity is probably the main feature that keeps pulling me back in. Something about designing (and then using) spaceships for the various gameloops available is positively enchanting. Far too often I find myself surprised at how many hours I've spent on a single ship, or a single room in a ship. The possibilities are endless, and really help players express their creativity.

3. The presentation of challenges for the player to overcome in the form of outposts, space stations, and hostile ships means that a player never has to look too far to find a challenge that they can partake in. The fact that they are (mostly) optional, and (mostly) provide many angles of attack also helps accommodate all sorts of players and playstyles, whether one prefers to treat them as an on-foot FPS level, or as a target of their warships wrath. While there may be some minor issues with POIs here and there, overall their presence adds not only a lot of life to the galaxy, but a near endless supply of challenges to be overcome, loot to collect, and opportunities to test your latest warship.

18. Manuka

Manuka Ensign

1. Survival
    2. Building ships
    3. Progression

I absolutely love this game.
    It's not perfect but it is the best game on steam - for my taste.
    I have thousands of hours in game and you guys keep improving it.
    TY.

Myrmidon, Germanicus and Wellingtoon like this.
  19. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

I started playing only this week, and I'm kinda still stuck on Akua because so far, I could only find 4 pieces of Cobalt ore, and I'm at level 23. I know there are supposed to be deposits on the snow planet, but that planet is difficult to survive, so I haven't found these deposits yet. So please interprete this accordingly:

+ There's no grinding. You do whatever you want, and you get stuff and level up through what you're doing, i. e. your actual game play. Of course you have to work for it, and you do get results with reasonable effort, and that's (part of) the gameplay.

+ I love the exploration, discoveries and the surprises. Like some Telluropd tring to eat you, hidden in some underbrush in which I happened to find the first Alien Plasma, is a nice double surprise ... The landscapes are gorgeous, and I occassionally marvel at the sunrise or sunset or a snowstorm and take pictures. It's like I'm on an exciting vacation. Then you find mysterious buildings and get inside eventually and discover more ...

+ I haven't found a bug yet. Ever since Mass Effect Legacy came out, I've only found games that have been very disappointing because they are totally buggy (like Baldurs Gate 3), have been basically killed by the developers through bad decisions (like Elite Dangerous), don't even run (yet, like Starfield) or have stupid issues that never got fixed (like trains always getting stuck since at least 2015, and also metro trains, in Cities Skylines, and every city choking to death because there's so much traffic that it's not managable, and every time you try it again, there's yet another issue that comes up that makes you not want to play it anymore). Empyrion is a total delight. There are way too many games that haven't been tested before release, and Empyrion is NOT one of those. It's awesome!

And there's more things I like about it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    cmguardia, SacredGlade and Slam Jones like this.
  20. Zebron

Zebron Lieutenant

1. Galactic exploration.
    2. Blueprint workshop.
    3. Survival and building.