Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by EleonGameStudios, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Yeah, the idea being I'd let it run, and then either of us can login and play when we can/want (sometimes we are not on at the same time, or timezone issues and need for sleep haha). I don't want my main game machine running all the time with a sinle game, when I could be bouncing between various games at any moment.

2. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

What are the specs on you main game machine?

3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

In my sig.

I have new parts on the radar though, just watching their prices, and currently I dont 'need' them yet, as I am still on a backlog of games outside of a few key new ones (aka EGS).

4. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Yea the client doesnt suck up any where near as much RAM use, the dedi server for one playfield always loaded, which you must have to play on it at all, will chew up around 900 megs to 1.7gigs depending of stuff on map. As you play that will increase. If you both seperate an end up on opposite sides of the planets and build you will notice RAM use will start to climb sharply.
    It can eat 4 to 5 gigs on a playfield when the map gets really loaded up and lots of mining has been done, has to remember every single change for the game file save.

But I recon if you have a rig with 6gigs in it, definitely try that rig, it should run a dedi for just 2 maybe 3 without any major problems.

Aremes likes this.
  5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Might tide us well enough until at such time it becomes a problem. And if we found it enjoyable, we can just pitch in some more ram to it. Not like we will be running in creative mode, so it WILL take either of us some time to build up and explore outwards some haha.

... now where did I put my 100 foot ethernet cable to put this thing in the basement ...

6. Reverend Tron

Reverend Tron Ensign

Got it working Piddlefoot, thanks for the help!

piddlefoot likes this.
  7. MDrifterX3

MDrifterX3 Ensign

So heres another "not showing on server lists" posts.

I have literally tried everything. Port forwarding, DMZ, swapping to a different pc, changing the ports around, I can't for the life of me figure it out. Now heres the odd part. On both my local lan AND my friends. A direct IP connection works in all scenarios. Not to mention I host other games and a TS3 as well as a cloud for mine and some friends devices. I don't get it. Here is my setup for the survival server (I tried a creative too from a stock .yaml to see if something I typed was the problem as well)

8. MDrifterX3

MDrifterX3 Ensign

You should have no problems running this on 6gb ram. My currrent dedi server runs this on 8gb ram and I have only max reaced 4.8gb while also running all of my other dedicated services (TS3/various TS bots/Cloud server/3 other game servers) Typically I have seen this game eat up about 3gb max so far with 4 players and each having a capital vessel, 2-3 other vessels each, a single base and a completely restructured space station right off akura with akura being basically 100% mined out, as well as the moon 95% mined out. I can also attest to the faster cpu winning over the one with more cores. I have a golden G3258 that actually does slightly better than my i5 4690k running the dedi because its clocked at 5ghz vs this stockish (up to 4.5ghz) i5.

Frigidman and Aremes like this.
  9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

We got a test run going last night and things are looking good with the 6gb ram front.

The i7 930 at stock 2.8ghz was barely breathing as we tried to do various things. The most the cpu would spike, was due to win10 doing some crazy thing off on its own.

The 6gb ram stayed steady, only went from 2.5 to 2.7 by the end of the night, with system/junk taking up 1.2gb of that number. So, that is impressive and should tied us over as we try to do more in the game. We will do some tests this weekend with spawning in random junk in creative mode and be in two entirely different places at once (one in space, one on ground), and see what the server does.

So far, looking good! Thanks for the help guys, @piddlefoot and @MDrifterX3

MDrifterX3 likes this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Trying to find....

What setting do I need to add to NOT broadcast a 'private' dedicated server to the known world? Only people who should know of it, are people I expressly tell. Tired of seeing my entire network clogged up with russian, french, indonesia hackers trying to get into the game port.

11. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

Use a password.

12. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

That doesnt stop it from broadcasting. It remains in the server list.

13. Visha

Visha Ensign

Hi there ...

I got the next Problem ...

Ive got a new internet provider and now im with UnityMedia. DSL wont work at home cause of segmentation problems ... So I had to change to cable network. Its not so bad ... But now i cannot host any dedicated servers for externals ... The server is not visible in the list ...

So it was clear to me that the ports are not configured. I connected to my router and want to configure them ... But there is no menu point for configure ports o_O ...

As anyone of you a dedicated server running over Unitymedia (or other cable network) with IPv6?
    How can i configure my ports ? o_O

Thank you ;)

14. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

15. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

LOL piddlefoot.

OK GUYS, geez... look, there is a legit reason for why someone would want to run a dedicated server, but NOT have it 'report to a tracking service' like Valve Software, so that others see the server. They constantly try connecting over and over trying various passwords to get in, or just generally try to hit it a lot to cause issues.

The ability to TURN OFF BROADCAST would be wonderful to have for the dedicated server config, and I was hoping it was in there, but clearly it is not. So I will just go another route and blacklist all the valve servers from my firewall so that nothing 'goes out to them' to broadcast. I was wanting to avoid that mess, but it seems to be the only way to do it.

17. MDrifterX3

MDrifterX3 Ensign

At least your will broadcast. I'm fully port forwarded etc and I still can't get mine to broadcast. Something else is wrong apparently.

18. Aremes

Aremes Ensign

Can you connect to your server using your external IP? If not, then you will not see it in the server list, and this is likely because your router does not support NAT Loopback or NAT Reflection. Your router will prevent it from properly determining your ping to your own server since it will block it.

However, if you yourself CAN connect to your own server using your external IP (not internal), then I'm not sure why it's not broadcasting.

As an example, I can see Frigidman's server in the list, but Frigidman cannot see the server because it's on his network and his router does not support NAT Loopback/Reflection. Therefore, it can never ping it and provide it as a viable server in the list.

Frigidman likes this.
  19. MDrifterX3

MDrifterX3 Ensign

As stated in post #207 I can do all the above, and that includes those outside my network as well. Even if I change to default/different port. I have no other problems with other servers, so far just this one has given me this much of an issue as far as showing on the server list.

20. Aremes

Aremes Ensign

Weird! Then yes, there must be other issues here. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.