Not a bug Turret/Mounted Weapon Damage Numbers Seriously Wrong

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by TGRF_Trainer, Jul 27, 2022.

1. TGRF_Trainer

TGRF_Trainer Commander

Build: v 1.8.4 3850 27-00:03
    Mode: Creative or Survival (presumably any mode)
    Mode: Singleplayer

SEED-ID: 0 (Creative White Canvas - reproducible on any seed)

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major/Game Breaking

Type: Weapon Damage

Summary: None of the player turrets or mounted weapons do the damage listed in the control panel. This effect is so pronounced as to make the game unplayable (see description below).

Description: I returned to Empyrion a few days ago, wanting to see the new changes and go exploring once more. However, once I got to the POI-taking-over stage, things went south. I created a simple HV tank with a single rocket turret, for the purposes of dealing with turrets on Zirax bases. However, I quickly discovered that each 5000 HP turret was taking 63 rockets to kill. I thought that the Zirax turrets were just buffed, until the same thing happened against a POI sentry gun. I can eliminate sentry guns with my pulse rifle just fine. But it takes an HV rocket turret at least 20 (not a tested number) rockets to get through one of them.

I decided to test all of the in-game turrets and mounted weapons (excluding sentry guns), and found that they are all doing a fraction of the damage they should be, according to the control panel numbers. Here's a sampling of the numbers I found. I'll be happy to provide the rest if requested:

HV rocket turret: 79 damage a shot. Takes 63 shots to remove a 5000 HP turret.
    SV Plasma gun: 90 damage a shot. Takes 56 shots to remove a 5000 HP turret.
    BA Canon turret: 46 damage a shot. Takes 109 shots to remove a 5000 HP turret.
    CV Rocket gun: 832 damage a shot. Takes 6 shots to remove a 5000 HP turret.

To the best of my knowledge, this has always been a bit of an issue, with the damage numbers not coming out correctly. However, this bug has grown to unplayable proportions in my absence.

This is unplayable because a key phase of the game is scraping together enough resources to build an HV tank to take on the smaller Zirax POIs. These POIs have turrets on them, and must be dealt with either by HV or SV. However, because the weapons on these ships now do such little damage, you have to spend a ludicrous amount of resources just to take one out (for both ammo and pentaxid if you have a shield). You end up losing net resources by taking on POIs this way.

The only recourse is to skip POIs entirely, and simply mine all the resources you need. However, this is not a viable answer, since taking on POIs is a very central part of the game.

If more information is needed, I will be happy to create a video showcasing this issue. I also have a spreadsheet showing the full damage numbers, what they should be according to the control panel, what percentage of that number they are actually doing, and how many shots it would therefore take to remove a normal 5000 HP turret.

2. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    This is not a bug. Many factors infuence the total damage done. The CP doesnt reflect those factors