Turret RoF locked to increments of 0.25 or 0.5

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by ravien_ff, Jan 25, 2024.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 4262
    Mode: Creative

SERVER NAME: NA
    SEED-ID: NA

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Both

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Turrets

Summary: Turret rate of fire is locked to increments of either 0.25 or 0.5 depending on the type of weapon.

Description: The rate of fire of turrets is locked to specific increments causing inaccurate damage output and misleading tooltips.

Rate of fire of hit scan turrets (such as cannon or minigun) is locked to increments of 0.25.
    This means a turret with a rate of fire of 0.26 will actually fire at 0.5. A rate of fire of 0.51 will fire at 0.75.
    For example this affects the cannon turret which has a rate of fire of 0.35 in the configs but actually fires at a rate of 0.5 causing greatly reduced damage per second compared to what it is configured to do and what it would show on the tooltips in-game.

Rate of fire of projectile based turrets (such as rocket or plasma) is locked to increments of 0.5.
    This means a turret with a rate of fire of 0.51 will actually fire at 1.0. A rate of fire of 1.1 will fire at 1.5.
    In vanilla this would affect the CV flak turret which has a RoF in the configs of 0.6 but will actually fire at a rate of 1.0, greatly reducing its damage per second.

This issue affects both the default game and any custom scenario that uses the default configs or uses their own configs and has setups that are using rate of fire that this would affect.

I am not sure if this is actually a bug, or an imposed limitation for performance reasons but I am reporting it here just in case. if it is intended please let me know so we can work around it as it affects custom scenarios too.

I did not test manual fire ship weapons, handheld weapons, or NPC weapons.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Create a new default creative game.
    2) Add a cannon turret to your ship and give it ammo.
    3) Spawn a second ship and set it to alien faction.
    4) Turn on AI so your cannon turret fires on the enemy ship.
    5) Record the footage and take it into a video editing program and compare the timestamps between each shot. The turret will be firing at a rate of 0.5, or two times per second, instead of the expected 0.35, or slightly faster than 3 times per second.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

DanielSPoA, Vollinger, AlexS and 4 others like this.
  2. A.F.T

A.F.T Grand Admiral

AI firing has a ROF step = 0.25.. Manual fire (when player controll the turret\weapon) = ROF from the config. I think it is intended and was forever.

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes, but if it's intended then the vanilla weapon config needs to account for this and custom scenarios should know about it so it's good if it's at least documented somewhere.