Feedback Required V.1.10 - Hover Bike

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    How do you like the new Hover Bike? ;)

[​IMG]

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Is it me or the player can not pick up the hover bike under water?

3. Kumari

Kumari Ensign

The altitude sampling probably takes place too often and the smoothing from one measurement to the next is probably not quite clean either.
    Why are we thrown into the sky so much in a collision, can't we have a gentle push back?
    Otherwise nice and better than what we had.

4. cpp.arthur

cpp.arthur Ensign

It's much better than the bike, but hitting stuff sends you flying. Can we maybe get a first person view for it?

Wellingtoon likes this.
  5. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I think hover bike should be able to move over water. It is hovering after all, what is the point not being able to move over water?

6. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

As a limitation- an "our world" hovercraft that can actually go over water has a big skirt and a low center of gravity and can't climb hills. All vehicles are a compromise, a car that's also a boat- a boat that's also plane ... you always end up with a crappy car, a crappy boat, and a crappy plane ... multi-modes are always worse than a purpose-built craft optimized for doing one thing well.

They could create a vehicle that was basically GM at terrain height, but actually needing to be concerned about what's in front of you is a more engaged activity. It's a pretty sweet ride for 5 carbon composite- 8^) ... the V1 glitchfest (squirrely, headlights, jitter-locking, etc.) are a pain. Not saying I wouldn't like a GM hoverbike (5 CC plus Energy Regulators, Flux Coils, and Gold wires) with all the fixings, but needing to worry about crashing is more interesting. (just an opinion, no grief, etc.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

The Hover bike is a big improvement over the regular bike in many ways. However, it's GLITCHY! I've regularly been zooming over relatively flat terrain - nothing for the bike to snag on - and I'm suddenly flipped dozens of metres into the air, sometimes rolling end over end uncontrollably for several seconds. It also likely to do a bounce and flip 180 degrees if a surface rock even looks at it funny at times.

When entering water - or just a puddle / shallow area on beach it seems - the HB stops INSTANTLY throwing the player off. A more gradual coming to a halt, with the player exiting only after it's stopped, would be better.

Oh, did the HB's lights stop working for anyone else? It was certainly dark enough to need them, but they stopped working.

Also, after initially being ok, above issues aside, by Hover Bike, now bounces up and down constantly, several times a second every time I use it. It's now unusable because of this. Totally vanilla fresh start on Masperon.

Additionally, I assume the crazy low cost is just to get people to use it more for testing? I mean, it needs to be a bit more costly, something similar to the basic HV does-everything hover engine.

As an aide, how about a Hover Bike Mk2 that can traverse water? The HB is quite fun to use, so having a better version for those watery worlds might be cool. Give it some storage too, if possible...

Finally, I think the HB should need fuel. Not much fuel, but some.

Wellingtoon and cpp.arthur like this.
  8. boo

boo Commander

i would call it : the bunny bike... because when you hit anything, you jump to the sky like hell :D

btw, as a hover, this bike should be able to run over the water.

Myrmidon likes this.
  9. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

It's a very good replacement for the old motorbike, much more mobile in all situations. I'd like a 'booster' feature that would allow me to make some fun jumps over obstacles like smaller hills but it actually does it automatically, that's fine! But too bad that you cannot climb higher hills apparently, or maybe I'm missing a key command, I recall the old motorbike had a sort of booster; are there other keys to use except WASD and SPACE ?
    I can see a toolbar when sitting on the hoverbike, do I miss something? Can something be equiped with the motorbike, a detector maybe?
    Even with its limitations it's a much bigger fun now to start exploring a planet.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I'd hope Eleon would concentrate on refining the current Hover Bike experience prior to anything else. Mine is currently near-unuseable due to the constant bouncing. Well, I say bouncing, but it's more vibration as it happens so often that the bike - and much of the view - is a blur. That's in a totally vanilla game, so, not a mod issue or anything. I wonder if Gravity is a factor to performance? My Masperon game-start sees the Hover Bike broken, an earlier start on the desert planet saw it working generally ok, but it would fly up 50+ metres into the air periodically, to 180 degree flips and even do seemingly random 720 degree end-over-end flips. Good job there's no collision damage to speak of.

11. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Although I don't know the cause, I've read that hitting the V key several times should workaround this behavior, that's not ideal ofc but I hope it helps you in the meantime until it gets refined.

12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks, I'll try that.

13. RedEvil

RedEvil Ensign

It would be better if the impacts did not make 10000 turns on themselves. It also applies to other vehicles.

14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Just started a new game, and the hoverbike is behaving a lot better, no more bounce / vibration.

However, like hover vessels, it doesn't follow the landsape very well, and will often sink when going up even a slight slope, causing it to snag, then to a 180. The HV "trick" of tapping pitch up to navigate such terrain doesn't work with the hover bike. Once I'm air-bourne, I can pitch up and down, but not when near the ground. Rather odd.

15. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

Have you ever seen an our-world hovercraft that doesn't have a skirt? Hill climbing is probably due to a lack of thrust, which could probably be fixed.

HVs having more thrust can climb hills where HVs with less thrust can not.

I've used the hoverbike a lot (too much) and it's fine. It could use more thrust and there's no reason it should slow down so much when over water. I never had the motorbike, so I can't compare. Once I finally found out how to build HVs, I quit using the hoverbike; before that, it was invaluable.

16. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

No, that was my point. I was suggesting that (potentially) the reason they implemented it without "over water" support (which it now has, with reduced speed) was as an intentional limitation ... an early game nerfed HV you can build for cheap. The motorbike behaved pretty much the same as the hoverbike except the way it looks invited people to critique how it behaves and demand wheeled vehicles on a semi-annual basis.

17. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

How would the limitation not be intentional and what does it have to do with skirts? Other HVs don't have skirts and don't slow down or go faster over water, and if they had made the hoverbike skirted, it would probably still suck over water. Compared to HVs, the hoverbike is already slow and uncomfortable and doesn't need to be made any more worse. It's kinda nice because it always makes you wonder if something and what will come up from under water and eat you when you're the snail over the surface playing bait on your hoverbike. Why doesn't it go faster rather than slower over water so you don't get eaten?

Wheeled and chained vehicles like trucks and bulldozers would sure be good to have. And how are we supposed to explore the oceans without submarines.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  18. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

The HB is (I believe) intended as an early game nerfed HV you can build for cheap. It's especially useful in harder game starts (no O2, lots of critters, etc.) as it lets you cover ground quickly. After than it has minimal utility- but you can carry one through a teleporter.

I explore lakes & oceans by finding biome transitions in my HUD then swimming down in my EVA suit. Watch out for the butt monsters. Some weapons work underwater, and others don't. You swim better empty handed (hit "0") so be ready to sink while you figure out which is which.

19. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

It works well for starters. By the time I finally had teleporters, I didn't need a hoverbike anymore.

I wonder how people starting on the snow planet are supposed to survive. Without two temperature boosters or an EVA booster, all which they don't have, there's no way that they wouldn't freeze to death before they could do anything.

Swimming isn't an option. I didn't fnd any weapon that would work under water and when wielding one, you're disabled and sink to the ground. I sent the drone to mine some Promethium under water where there were no predators since it was the only way to get some. After that, I checked some waters with the drone while standing on the hoverbike or an HV, and there wasn't anything to discover, so I gave up on it. With the limited range of the drone, no weapons that work under water and nothing to discover there's no point.

Same way we don't upgrade our jetpacks to take us into orbit to explore the universe in our suits, we don't explore its oceans without submarines. Maybe I'll build an underwater base some time to see how that works out, but either close to the shore or standing on my or CV, using the drone ... I guess if some NPCs were to attack an underwater base, they might have a hard time doing that. So far, none of my bases were attacked.

20. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

You're correct- the vanilla game weapons don't work underwater. I've been playing the RE scenario for so long I'd forgotten.