Feedback Required V.1.10 - Hover Bike

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 27, 2023.

1. shortName

shortName Lieutenant

Even if we had weapons that work under water, we still need submarines. Or maybe the reason for not having weapons that work under water is that we don't have submarines. So we need both.

2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

What is the max speed? Asking for a friend :p

3. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

You can set the camera view wtih the ALT key and PGUp / PGdown and the mousewheel to adjust the view, on other vehicles and vessels this setting will remain SAVED over all game sessions. This is not true for the hoverbike which has a too distant camera view to start you with once seated on it and you must redo the camera adjustments each time you use it.

Please make this camera setting the same like in other vehicles, thank you!

stanley bourdon likes this.
  4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

A good point. I think the reason for this is the fact that in contrast with all other vessels in game, hover-bike is placed and picked up from the game play-field very often. Also it is easily disposable and replaced.

5. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Yes, unfortunately for the camera, the hoverbike is not like any other vessel and therefore the change I suggest may not be doable - at least not with a simple code addition.

6. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Would it be possible to make the hoverbike require fuel? There's currently no incentive to build an early scout-type HV because the hoverbike is cheaper and free-to-use. I think, for game play reasons the hoverbike should be, by design, always be worse than an equivalent HV. If the bike consumed significantly more fuel than an HV then you would have a reason to move on to an HV as soon as feasible.

What would happen to the fuel when you pick up the bike? Well, there's already a precedent for equipment you can pick up that still consumes fuel: the portable O2 generator. So, just have the remaining fuel vanish if you pick up the bike. One more reason to build a real HV.

The hoverbike is good. You did an excellent job. Don't ditch it! It's just that as it currently is, the bike is *too* good. Add a disadvantage to it and it will be perfect and fulfill its role as a cheap and early vehicle that you build before you build an actual HV.

7. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

Counter point,
    New player just purchased the game, places a hoverbike, fuels it up, and realizes they need to pick it up for reason XYZ.
    Now the new player instantly realizes the game deleted their fuel, retests it, realizes it's on purpose, and gets upset and refunds the game.

The game also currently forces you to HAVE to pick it up or else it will be deleted in short order, and because of MP purposes the devs don't plan on changing that behavior.

I can think of many more scenarios where the requirement of fuel, if implemented in the way you suggest, would cause more harm than good to the experience of a new player.
    Which in result would further hurt the reputation of the game in a time where it isn't so good.

So no, unless they can make it remember the fuel when picked up then the addition of a fuel requirement would only harm the game.
    In my opinion, of course.
    Having said all that, IF they can manage to make it remember the fuel in it when picked up then have at it, make it require fuel......

stanley bourdon likes this.
  8. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

I think an easy way to handle 'fuel' for the bike would be to give the bike a durability that gradually decreases while it's in use, then create a 'bike battery' item that is fairly easy to make, and is used to 'repair' the bike. Maybe something like a prometheum pack + some carbon substrate.

9. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Now, that's a good idea! Durability is already there and works for items you can carry or store in inventories. The change would then be to just make it decrease sufficiently fast when the bike is used so that it functions like a fuel. The bike is quite cheap so crafting a new one after the "fuel" depletion would not be that big a thing, but yes, of course, would be nicer for game-play and RPG purposes if you had a special cheap and easy way to "repair" it, which would then be how you refuel the bike.

Your suggestion is likely easier to add to the game, and would work without any of the problems TwitchyJ pointed out.

I say "go for it". Pretty-please? :)

MidasGunhazard and TwitchyJ like this.
  10. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

With or without the repair I think you are on to a winner here. Seriously.

It could potentially be made to work with the current system of durability. +1
    The bike is sufficiently cheap, so even without the repair ability players could craft another. +1
    It ties right into learning the durability system, and players could turn it off if they choose in the difficulty settings like current tools/weapons. +1

Obviously not a high priority by any means.
    If they should ever make changes to it though hopefully they consider your input.

MidasGunhazard likes this.
  11. Zebron

Zebron Lieutenant

They can set it to not disappear in SP that would be great. Since SP and MP are two different things. I can see it in MP that you don't want a 1000+ bikes littering the planet. But on Single Player I don't see why it couldn't be permanent placement since your the only one on the planet unless your doing co-op but even then it shouldn't matter much. Having it disappear cause of muliplayer in single player is kinda bad. The disappear feature should only be a dedicated server thing only in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  12. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Exactly, I expected these special models that you make in the constructor to constantly stay when you park them, what's the sense to just 'take a seat' with them, was this meant as a joke?