Feedback Required v1.10 EXP: Sound & SFX Feedback

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Taelyn, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    • Added a space-battle track for space combat (to separate it from ground combat)
    • Added new sounds for power generators, shield generator & the warp drive
    • Lower sound volume levels for Doors & Hangar doors, ramps, shutters, boarding ramps & Power, Shield, & Gravity generators

Mobius likes this.
  2. spanj

spanj Captain

Combat soundtrack only seems to trigger on ground when taking damage not when entering "combat"
    Went around Talon territory murdering everything, took no damage and had nice peaceful everything is fine music playing the whole time

Mobius likes this.
  3. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

But if they don't fight back then your not in 'combat', right?
    Jokes aside, I think this is more of a 'good enough' situation. Ideally there would be some way to determine the threat level or amount of danger the player is in and use that to trigger combat music but this works fine. Its almost the exact same for games like Skyrim or Fallout 4. In those games, your not in combat until you are actively being attacked or detected and hunted.

Don't get me wrong, the system could use some refinement but I think it works well enough as is.

The battle music is a good addition but it gets stale after a while. Maybe define a list of tricks that can be used globally and per-playfield.
    Also would be nice to open the system up to users. Generate a folder for each playfield in the save as well as a 'Global Combat Music' folder that users can place their own music into.

If I had to choose between the two, I think I like the old sound better. Having a different sound for each device would be welcome though.

Ok, its good that the volume is lower but now its too low.

Also this doesn't fix the underlying issue with these sound or the sound system in general. This is reverent for both mobs and ambient sound:
    Disclaimer: Not a Unity developer and no actual experience with these function!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    Mobius and spanj like this.
  4. Arthmoor

Arthmoor Commander

Not sure if it qualifies as feedback for this but when you're standing outside of a CV/SV/HV you can't hear the thrusters at all, even standing right next to them.

They suddenly ramp up to being pretty loud once you're in the cockpit. IMO this should probably be the other way around - the cockpit and/or ship interior should deaden the sound some, not increase it.

I've also noticed that when moving stuff in between inventory containers, the sound effect that goes with it is extremely loud in comparison to most of the other stuff now.

Loving the new generator, shield, and warp drive hums. A welcome relief to the ears.

Mobius likes this.